New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grouse hunting in Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got my first pair of shotguns; Weatherby Athena's in 12 and 20 GA. The Marines here on Elmendorf will be shooting in the Air Force Intramural skeet competition starting this Nov.
Went up to Peters Creek this last weekend for moose , but it was a circus (probably 300 hunters with 4-wheelers). So i took the shotgun out to do a little grouse hunting. Had a blast!. Now I'm wondering if there are any places closer to Anchorage where I can hunt grouse?. I'm thinking of heading down towards Silvertip Creek on the Kenai if the weather is decent. Any suggestions?.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a few in Bird Creek, between Anchorage and Girdwood.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get with the Natural Resources guys at Elmendorf. There are some areas of Fort Rich that are open to hunting, and there's supposed to be decent numbers of grouse there, at least that's what they told me when I was attending Wildlife Conservation Officer training there a few years back. I was stationed at Clear at the time, so don't have first hand knowledge of Ft Rich hunting.

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I use a Marlin 22LR and my boys use a 410 savage w 7 1/2 shot.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've taken all my spruce hens with my 480, suprisingly effective [Wink]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric,
If the Mystry Creek Road is open, it is a great place for grouse. It is off the Sterling highway just after you come out of the mountains past Cooper Landing coming onto the Kenai flats. You need 4wd if the gate is open.
350mag

Posts: 39 | Location: Pilot Station AK | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the mystery creek road is open. Its in good shape, a little mud but 2wd drive works.

We were out on swanson river road which goes to swan lake road and the grouse were in heavvy numbers. Big bastards at that. Easy to get your limit out there.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
holy crap Kmule, thats the biggest f-n spruce hen I've ever seen

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey guys, I live in anchorage, and I drive a car, so are there any good spots within daily driving of anchorage you know of? I used to hunt the kinic turn off, but after they closed the pull out to shooting, I have not seen many birds in there.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try Mystery Creek Rd this weekend if the weather stays nice

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote