Find
Notify
Tools

Just Got Back
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted
I just got back from an awesome trip to the Brooks Range in Alaska. I was contacted by this outfitter earlier in the year and he wanted some help booking hunts and he asked me if I would be interested in helping him. As I have said before, I don't book hunts for outfitters that I haven't personally hunted with so I booked a trip with him. The hunt was for caribou and arctic/barren ground grizzly.

Here is one of my homes away from home for the last 2 weeks. I was here most of the time due to weather conditions preventing us from flying out to spike camps.

This is actually a pretty nice cabin considering where it is. This place is 40 miles North of a Inuit Village called Anaktuvuk Pass. Anaktuvuk Pass is 300 miles North of Fairbanks. All of this lumber and supplies were flown in via Super-cub.

Here is my second home that I only spent 1 night in.

Here was "what's for dinner" one night in spike camp. Fried caribou and grizzly bear, green beans, and mashed potatoes.

Caribou and green beans

grizzly bear and boiling water for instant mashed potatoes

Finished product. Skullworks, do you recognize anything in that picture?

Airport at the spike camp.

Runway

Anyone need a taxi?

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the first few days, I couldn't leave base camp because we were fogged in. That also meant we couldn't see much of anything beyond 1000-1500 yards. It was daylight from 4am-2am and that made for some very long days cooped up in that cabin. Finally on the 3rd day it cleared and I spotted 7 bulls about 1200 yards away across this river.

I grabbed a guide and we put on our waders and headed out. By the time we crossed the river and climbed this hill across from camp,

the group of bulls had made it out into the flat about 1000 yards out. There was a ditch that we were able to get in and when we got to the end of the ditch and looked over the edge, the bulls were within 75 yards. I found the biggest one in the herd and sent a .338 bullet into his lungs.

This one is for the meat hunters.

I saw a few bears from base camp and went on a couple of stalks but we couldn't close the deal. I got into spike camp at 10pm and we hit the sack. We woke at 8am and had some breakfast and headed out to a high ridge about 1 mile from camp. We climbed the ridge and stopped just short of the top and started glassing. We immediately saw 3 bull moose in the 50"+ range. We had been there less than 20 minutes when I spotted a bear crossing a river coming towards us less than 600 yards away. The wind was wrong but he was about 150 feet below us so we hoped that he wouldn't catch our wind. He started to climb the bluff about 400 yards out and he disappeared into a drainage ditch. He came out onto the flat in front of us to feed on blue berries about 350 yards away. I was in position for the shot.

He was steady coming our way but he caught out scent and he stood up on his back legs and looked our way. That is a sign that they are about to go somewhere else at a very high rate of fuel consumption. I took the shot at 258 yards and he dropped to the shot.

Keith O'Neal
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

He is a very old bear and he didn't have too many winters left. He was blind in his left eye and he had a huge scar across the bridge of his nose. He also had a tremendous amount of scar tissue all over his body from fight wounds.

I also did a little fishing in the river.

I caught lots of grayling on fly tackle.

This was one of my best trips anywhere and by far my best trip to Alaska. I am already planning on a sheep hunt with this same outfitter next year or in 2013.

Keith O'Neal
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
great hunt, congratulations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Job!! Nice old grizz and bou.
Love the pics of your meals.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome photos and hunt!

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and great trophies, congratulations.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures. I hunted with this outfitter 2 or 3 years ago, so the pictures brought back nice memories. I was hunting grizzly and caribou as well. I shot a nice grizzly on day 8. It's really nice country, but wild and tough. I'd like to go back again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I'm headed to the ANWR next aug 20-30 for Grizzly and Caribou as well. Looking forward to it.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Excellent...I can't wait to get up there Oct 1!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing story and photos

O

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice bear and 'bou! Thanks for the report and congratulations on a couple of fine trophies.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Game Hunter

Must not have liked the outfitter tu2 you failed to tells us who you did this hunt with. Confused
Thanks
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Good job. Sounds like a fine experience.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Looks really god!
Congrats on a wonderful bag Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
Very well done.Looks like your grizly will have a nice skull.I havent been north of fairbanks yet hunted ak 4 times going way north next time love that country. Kevin

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote