New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kodiak bear ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's the better choice for hunting Kodiak bear in Kodiak island ?
I have a .338 Win and a .416 Rigby, what's your advise ?

Posts: 26 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either one will work fine! Take tke one you are most accurate with. The .338 is easier to find ammo for! cheers

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will go with tsturm. Either cartridge is fine but would limit the .338 to a 250 grain are larger bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
either will work fine. as said above, i would go with the .338 and 250 gr. or larger bullets.

but, if you can shoot the .416 as well as the .338, then i would use that with 400 gr. or larger bullets and a low power wide angle scope like a .15-5x or a 1.75-6x.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't feel the need to cut in here. I totaly agree with everyone here we all seam to be on the same page. I will however add an example. Last fall I had a two on one hunt for brown bear on Kodiak island. one hunter had a .338 and the other a .458 lott. Both men went home with their bear and I did not back up ether of them. If I would have I was carrying a .338. all of the other 3 bear hunters went home with their bears as well and they had a .375 .300 ultra mag and another .375. all worked just fine and I had no reason to put a bullet in anyones bear.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for yours advices.

Posts: 26 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:

Last fall I had a two on one hunt for brown bear on Kodiak island. one hunter had a .338 and the other a .458 lott. Both men went home with their bear and I did not back up ether of them. If I would have I was carrying a .338. all of the other 3 bear hunters went home with their bears as well and they had a .375 .300 ultra mag and another .375. all worked just fine and I had no reason to put a bullet in anyones bear.

this is because akshooter is a professional, who realizes that he is there to ensure his clients safety and adherence to game laws. not to shoot someones bear unnecessarily, when it is not his hunt, but his client's.

unfortunatley, more guides do not have the professionalism/attitude shown by the above story.

keep up the fine work. clap beer

Cold Zero