THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Read Phil Shoemakers article and now. . . . . . . . . . .

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Read Phil Shoemakers article and now. . . . . . . . . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Very nice article in 'Rifle' magazine on the .375 Ruger Mr. Shoemaker. Only problem is. . . . . Now I want one.

nilly

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
D I've got one and I rather like it. I'm not interested in retiring my H&H but I think the Ruger is a nice addition.

I'm LH, so a CRF rifle is a bit of an issue for me. My H&H is a Remington, and though I like it quite well,.............

Posts: 9117 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, I do like the unbelted case, and am rather fond of shorter, lighter firearms. Seems like it would be a handy package. I've handled a couple, however never fired one. I'd have to do what Phil did and replace the rubber stock with something else.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you read the article, you read his evaluation of the new Lupy scope on that rifle & how it came apart. Got to hand it to Phil; only gun mag article where the writer did an honest evaluation. Most of evaluations in gun mags are worthless pap. Congrats Phil; integrity still remains in a few, but then that is his style. it certainly lends credibility to everything else he writes............./Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Husqvarna 1900 action rebarrelled from a 300 Win Mag to the 375 Ruger. I absolutely love it. I've spent a lot of time working up loads and have it continually shooting under an 1" at 100 yds. The only thing that I killed with it is a whitetail. It went with me on a bear hunt to Saskatchewan but I didn't see a bear big enough to take.

I have handled the Ruger rifle and I like everthing about it but the safety. I have hunted in extreme cold and trying to operate the safety with gloves on would be very difficult. I have never hunted dangerous game but I would hate to have a rifle which has a cumbersome safety that was difficult to move to the fire position.

Shortly after I had the opportunity to handle the Ruger 375 rifle, I purchased an early Ruger Model 77 with the tang safety specifically to have it rebarrelled to the 375 Ruger. The tang safety is workable with or without gloves, in cold or warm temps. I have this project on the to-do list when time and funding permit.

I have looked at the 300 RCM and 338 RCM but I don't see enough advantage over the 300 Win Mag and the 338 Win Mag to support making a change. I already have too many calibers for which I have to reload.

All things considered, I love the caliber.
I believe that it is here to stay.

SD Shooter

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
my wife got one - African model - only complaint we had was the hard red rubber recoil "pad" that ruger puts on everything . . . pulled that off and put a 1" decelerator on and its all good. I shot a feral hog with it, she's shot 1 hog and 1 whitetail with it, using 300 grain hornady factory loads . . .

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.... I havn,t seen the article , which issue is it in ????? I guess the safety is a dead horse thing ....... Best safety ever put on a rifle .. I should do a video of manipulating one successfully @ 50 below with insulated choppers on ........ horse.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gunboot,

In all sincerity, I admire the man that can adapt. Just like in the military, you take what they give you, no matter the action, caliber or safety, and when your life depends on it, you learn how to make it work, no matter what the environment!

Thank You for continuing to beat the dead horse.

SD Shooter

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
.... I havn,t seen the article , which issue is it in ????? I guess the safety is a dead horse thing ....... Best safety ever put on a rifle .. I should do a video of manipulating one successfully @ 50 below with insulated choppers on ........ horse.

Gumboot; it's in the latest January issue. Green cover with a Hepburn single shot on the cover. Good article. I've been re-evaluating my firearms for the hunting and shooting I do, and wouldn't mind having one. Cheers

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..Thanks , I will see If I can round one up .......

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Gunboot, if you can't find a copy, PM your address & I mail you a copy, also an interesting article on DG calibers

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one and it's a good rifle but the rubber stock, as Phil points out, really sucks.

I've done as Phil did and ordered the good Ruger synthetic stock from Brownell's.

The M77 wood stock is a good fit and attractive and I can't imagine why Ruger took so long to make a synthetic like it. I guess they have the same marketing genius who thought of New Coke.

Grizzly

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have to give Phil and Wolfe Publishing credit -- he called it on the Leupold and Ruger's abominable stock, and they printed it. I don't know a single person in Alaska who likes the Hogue stock. I bought an African, both because I like the balance of the 23" barrel better and because I would rather seal and deal with wood than handle a Hogue.

I also bought a .338 RCM to go with it. I like it a lot so far -- will see how it does on Texas hogs in a couple-three weeks.

Dennis

Posts: 119 | Location: Ketchikan, AK USA | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
the new 416 Ruger is available only in the short "Alaskan" model with the Hogue stock because the wood stocks will not hold up without some sort of modification. With a heavier barrel the 416 balances much better but it still has a Hogue stock. I'd much prefer their old canoe paddle stock and bet they would hold up.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I called Ruger today looking for a synthetic Hawkeye RCM stock for my .338, and the nice lady asked me if I wanted one of the Hogue stocks they're putting on the other Hawkeyes now. So I 'splained my issues with it; she was particularly taken with my explanation of the abominable pistol grip configuration. I also told her I didn't know a soul in alaska who liked the Hogue.

If she can get it -- why can't the upperlings at Ruger? (That might be a rhetorical question... Big Grin.) Maybe we should all start calling them about once a week...

Phil -- have you looked at the RCM's? I'm looking at my .338 as a short-action .338-06 +P, rather than as a closet .338 Win Mag, and I like it very well so far.

Dennis

Posts: 119 | Location: Ketchikan, AK USA | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Concerning Ruger stocks or any other for mags . TWO crossbolts are needed , period . A second lug is even better . A gun stock flexes the most in the web area ahead of the trigger assembly , if only one crossbolt is used it should be here but again , two is neccesary when you climb above a .338 .

Posts: 11 | Location: Tok , Alaska | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
And if you have waited too long and the cracks have already started to appear a third bolt through the grip is not a bad idea either.

I also have learned that even the synthetic Ruger stocks need at least to be steel/glass bedded and on my daughter's I also added a cross bolt as the material has enough give to allow the action to move back enough so that the dimple on the flats eventually pounds a dent in the front of the magazine box - which screws up feeding.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
How difficult are those cross bolts to install?

Where do you put them? Mauser crossbolts go directly behind the recoil lug and the lug bears on the square crossbolt.

Crossbolts from Brownells are round. Do you put them a certain distance behind the lug and fill in with glass or steel bedding?

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If you want a nice looking rifle the crossbolts from Brownells are probably the way to go but virtually any small diameter bolt epoxied in place in a hole through the recoil lug and another through the web behind the magazine box and in front of the trigger, will do.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. Phil I read your AR 15 article in the current Rifle mag . , Great article .. But I have to ask , What is the Marlin Guide Gun ,s finish... No offence ment in any way , but it looks like it got dunked in blood ??????

What velocity will the 500 Boewolf push those Barnes bullets ?????. I know , HC a poster on here killed a few or more Brn bear in Hoonah with his and he told me he thot it was if anything more effective that the 45/70 , Buffalo Bore combo .......

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The red on my wife's Marlin is the Rustoleum metal primer I first put down before the color. the rifle is twenty years old and been carried a lot and shot so much the lever had to be replaced by Marlin a few years back.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Most people don't know it but Phil is an ex-subway tagger that was exciled to the Alaskan bush. These days he Rustoleums guns to get his fix instead.

Deadliest man with a rattle can that I've ever met! Big Grin

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All that hoopla, and Phil is looking to build a 45 caliber rifle. What's up with that Phil? I find it rather curious that you praise the rugger and then are building something in 45 caliber on a P-14.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..I most defiantly wouldn,t answer for anyone else .. But I located a historic [ for Alaska] 450 Watts that I,m getting ,, I,ll kill bears with it ,deer too .... But ,The instant I can get my lunch hooks on a 416 Ruger I,ll own it and hunt it hard......I,ll still work my 458 Win alot also .........Not tryin to kick the bees nest too hard , but when you live in a place where you can hunt a grizzly every year and a coastal brown bear every 4th year .....Plus black bears , moose , elk , deer ,goat , sheep , bison , musk ox , ect, ect ..........An Alaskan that hunts alot has the ability to wear a large caliber rifle out , Especially on the coast ... Gotta have spares ya know ...., Thats what I tell my wife !!!!!!!!!!1

Upon re reading your article Phil I see the Marlin isn,t a guide gun . Thanks for the reply , makes sense ......It sure seems to stick on ....