New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mt. Lions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My sister-law and her husband spotted a Mt. Lion-you got it - a Mt. Lion west of Ft. Yukon about 18 miles. Has anyone actually gone out to hunt one here in the State. Are they becoming more predominate or seen and/or hunted. Kind of sparked up my concern hearing one so close to my village.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
A friend had mentioned he'd read reports of mountain lions around Kachemak Bay (Homer area), but that ADF&G had discredited the reports. Then he mentioned he took a trip over to Seldovia and that he had one jump across the trail he was hiking on, and that it definately wasn't a lynx, but must have been a mountain lion.

I haven't heard any reports of them in the interior, but who knows?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
It would be illegal to shoot in Alaska.

If an animal is not listed in the regs , you may not hunt it.

Mt lions are not in there. (yet)

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tsk,tsk. would hate the first opportunity to miss out on a necklace. boohoo

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on if it is considered "deletrious wildlife" or not. If dw, then I believe it is no limit, no closed season. If it is considered a legitimate big game animal, then true enough, it cannot be taken.

I suppose one could consider it a lynx with a bad coat Wink just kidding clap

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are Cougars on the Canadadian side of the border in South East. Why couldn't they cross over?

How they would get to Homer though is an interesting thought.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Last winter two seperate, and reliable, witnesses spotted what they claimed to be mountain lions along the Steese hwy between Fbks and Central. that is not far from Ft Yukon.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw one at the white river in the yukon last fall crossing the road.I also saw deer 75 mile out of haines junction.There have been mule deer by summit lake.There was a cougar caught in a trap at Donnley dome a few years back.The tried to show it to fish and game but they took too long and it got away.I hope whitetails come with the global warming in Ak.Them maybe they would let us hunt them.A few year back a hog farmer released his hogs and they went nuts now you can shoot wild hogs as a result in ak.I am hoping for some elk to get allose from the elk farms also.I heard one bugle about 10 miles south of the farm.That would be awesome also.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
One has been shot in Wrangell and one trapped on Kupreanof Island here is Southeast. Others have been seen near Petersburg. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*** MT. LIONS ***

In Forestry School , for my Term Paper in Wildlife Mgmt. Class , we got to choose the critter of our choice , ( to research for the paper ) . -- I chose Felis Concolor .

This was many years ago , as I ain't a young duck , anymore . -- But I don't think the basics have changed much .

Don't worry about sightings near your village , -- the critters are very reclusive , normally , and although they do hunt and travel sometimes during the day , they are strongly Nocturnal .

Most people that live in the most heavily populated Cougar areas in entire lower 48 , -- have never cast eyes on one . They are very wary of Humans , and have unbelievable sences ; -- so they mostly disappear before you ever know they're there .

There's one exception , and that's because they are also very curious animals . They sometimes will parallel a human , or party , or pack animals , on a trail for miles . --- On those rare occasions when the people see the animal , it gives rise to the ( false ) myth that the Cougar is stalking the party , planning to attack .

I've seen two , in daylight , in my life , and I count myself lucky . ( One was hot after a Doe , which had just flushed out of heavy cover ; and the other WAS paralleling me on a trail , while solo-backpacking . -- way back in Wilderness country .

As of the early 60's when I wrote my paper , -- in the entire recorded history of the U.S. , there had only been about five documented attacks on human adults , and almost all of these were under unusual circumstances , like when the Cat was cornered . There were many more attacks on small children , who turned and ran and screamed , exciting the animals hunting instincts .

But when you think what things were like during the opening of the West , and earlier in the East starting in 1776 ; -- if Cougars attacked much it would have been in all the early newspapers , bigtime , -- not so .

In recent years , there have been many more attacks on Adults , because housing projects and sprawling towns have begun to trap the animals on all sides , and restrict their hunting activities . --- A hungry Cougar can cover 50 miles in a night looking for Deer .

But , in Alaska , I don't think you have that problem .

Rest easy , Friend , better to worry about Bears .

-- Best Regards , --- MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member
---- 2nd Amend. -- They could have said , " The Right of Such a Militia " ; ----- But they didn't , they said " . . . . . The right of the PEOPLE " .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*** REPLY TO GRIZZ 007 ***

Note of interest : --- The Fur Trappers of the early 1800's thought that Mt. Lion meat was the best of any N. American game meat , -- bar none .

In all my years of interest in this elusive Animal , I've never heard of or talked to anyone that's tried it -- ??

Wonder what it really tastes like ? I'd give it a try , if I could .

---------- MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member
---- 2nd Amend. -- They could have said , " The Right of Such a Militia " ; ----- But they didn't , they said " . . . . . The right of the PEOPLE " .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt it tastes like chicken

Posts: 30 | Location: Juneau Alaska | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
You know what causes Mt. Lion attacks on humans don't you? It is the swish, swish noise from the fancy jogging togs they wear, drives lions crazy! Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually cougar is excellent. Sear the tenderloins in butter, garlic, salt/pepper. Pop in the oven at 350 for 20 miutes. Excellent!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It tastes just like you would think a cat tastes like. I dont like it. Stringy and pretty tough, but maybe I don't know how to prepare it.

Posts: 23 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 18 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have ate lynx and taste like rabbit-pretty good actually. We have a radio station out of Ft. Yukon(I live further north by northwest approx. 60mi.) that broadcasted 3 days back that some fella trapped a cross-breed cat lynx/Mt.lion--go figure. We like to joke most of the time but this is different--I believe this to be true. Cats instictively are killers, numbering from 1-howmany, don't matter--worse than bears or wolves. I have bears around my camps many a times an am just on gaurd but them mt.lions seem to have a notoriety about them from what I gather-do not want to trust them period. Some can study them in class but I will study them from a fine set of cross hairs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Actually cougar is excellent. Sear the tenderloins in butter, garlic, salt/pepper. Pop in the oven at 350 for 20 miutes. Excellent!

Tastes like chicken, right?
Just kidding - heard it was good.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now this was shot in oregon by me. I just wanted to add they tast awsome. a lot like pork.

Posts: 27 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Just to give you an idea of how reclusive these animals are I lived and worked outdoors in Southerm California in the Otay Mountain and Tecate Divide for 6 years and hunted the area on my time off for mule deer and coyote and birds. I saw the tracks of mountain lion almost every day. I filled my garage with mule deer skulls from lion kills. HOWEVER I never saw one with my own eyes in daylight. And I know of only 2 people who have seen them. One of which was hit by that person in a car.

HOWEVER.....I did see lions a-lot when we used infametric scopes up in the mountains at night.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had some when I was a guide in Colorado back in the late 80's. My boss found a couple packages of it in the freezer one day and he said "lets take these to camp and have them for dinner". Nobody in camp wanted to try it, and he said good, I will eat it all myself. After that we had to give it a try, and like stated above it was much like pork. A very white meat and kinda corse textured but very good tasting. My boss has been in the outfitting business all his life and his father was also. I think they are on the 4th generation now.

Like he said the only thing they will eat is fresh meat, not like a bear or a turkey or even a chicken.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In answer to mmconcolor's question. I have hunted Mountain Lion for some 40 plus years, seen hundreds and shot a few and have eaten these. Cooked tenderloin sliced about 3/4" thick and fried just like you would fry a pork chop, tastes very much like a pork chop. The texture of the meat is close to that of the pork loin (just a slight bit tougher) and the color is also about the same. One of each cooked side by side in the same pan, are very hard to tell the difference. Usually the loin is what I cook and I make jerky out of the rest. It's great! To borrow the words from Rough Rider and past President Teddy Roosevelt, "There is no better wild game meat, than the loin of a young lion". My feeling exactly. Wildcat

Posts: 42 | Location: Southeastern Idaho | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lynx taste like sweet pork chops to me.I usually sneek it into the barq and tell guest afterwards .I had a friend one time who made 4 different dishes at one meal and all the guest said each kind of meat was different.It was all lynx.Lynx and blue berry fed black bears are my favorite.It should be against the law to waste lynx.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote