New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dall Sheep hunt 2014
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I'm starting to get things in order for 2014 Dall sheep hunt north of Fairbanks AK.
Getting back pack, and gear together, looking at lists posted by others, etc.. The big one is I want to use my Winchester 1886 in 475 Turnbull for the hunt. The weight is my issue 9.5#s but may just use it anyway. Has a lot of sentimental value as it has killed a boat load of game. Started an exercise program and that is coming well.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck brother. A 9.5 pound gun? You are a better man than me.

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the average weight now compared to 10-20 years ago? How much effect will it be to drop 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. any one done that and what is the change besides the obvious.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
If that gun can shoot then there's no argument, I always say, "take what you shoot well" I do try and cut weight and shoot a couple lightweight rifles, but I make sure I can shoot it well. I also go unguided and at times solo while I carry my whole camp on my back (which is not much).

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
What is the average weight now compared to 10-20 years ago? How much effect will it be to drop 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. any one done that and what is the change besides the obvious.

None...Hunt with what you want. Light weight rifles are cool and they are nicer to carry in mountains. BUT they are not going to make or break your hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Doug,

If you are a non resident the you will have a guide with you or an Alaska relative. In the case of the guide they can carry some of your gear if needed to make up for the weight of that rifle.

I totally understand the sentimental value point of view but also remember Alaska and its weather can be very very hard on a firearm. One of the reasons you see synthetic stocked stainless guns used so much up here.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I would second Jim's sentiments about the weather and mountains being really tough on a nice gun. Blued and wood guns are not cut out for that. My mountain rifle is around 7.5lbs loaded. 9.5 is fine since you will be likely guided and that means your guide will carry the lion's share of the weight. I would just be proficient with the gun if you're taking it out to at least 200 yards if not more (300). That might be a tall order for aging eyes and open sights.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Pre-64 Model 70s (wood stock-blued metal) on Admiralty Island and Alaska Peninsula hunts as well as Interior Alaska. I took materials to dry the rifles when they got wet and protect metal and wood. Paste wax on wood before the hunt works and a light coat of RIG gun grease on metal inside and out at night after the rifle is dry works well. A light waterproof sleeve going to and from places to protect a rifle works too. Yes, traditional rifles can take a beating but with careful treatment it need not be bad. By all means, take the rifle you mentioned and enjoy the use of it once again.

Regarding weight, many of the Brooks range sheep areas are not super rugged country. An extra pound or two is no big deal.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Watershed makes a waterproof gun slip for river trips. I've used it for my double when I had it out in Alaska. It would work well to also protect the stock from damage.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know all about the Alaska weather as I hunted with Phil Shoemaker in 2008 AND it did rain!!!
Gun took on water and dried out later. Shot a 64" moose with them, Taj was my guide.
Generally have shot most of the game at 150-180 yards and know where it shoots out to 300 yds if needed. Yep iron sights.

Rifles been to Africa twice, many trips to shoot antelope in Wyo., Bison, elk, deer, moose in newfoundland also a black bear 20 1/2" about 600 lbs, kind of my go to rifle even if it is a 475 cal.

posted Hide Post
Take your rifle Doug. You know someone who can fix whatever goes wrong. And you are at least 30lbs lighter than the average client your height so the extra 3lbs shouldn't make any difference.

Posts: 20 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well put Taj, Take it a kill a good ram, I am already looking forward to your pictures. I luv your guns.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
take what you can shoot, I say 300 to 350 is what you could be looking at. The Turnbull is not that far of a shooting round if memory serves me correctly. But if you can hit, run with it.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Doug,,,, I,ve been in about 100 sheep hunts and the average shot is 125yds - 200yds,, sure we've killed at longer ranges but with time maybe the job could have been done a lot closer. The 3 rams I took could all have been taken with a model 94 30-30.I admire your rifles and hopefully the weather cooperates and makes your hunt a success!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess weight of rifle depends on the person carrying it. Back when I was young, in the dark ages, as a friend says, MOST rifles weighed that much or more. Look at the weight on the pre-64 70s, featherweight, was right about 8lbs, without a scope etc. My personal favorite carry gun, goes 10 lbs. Think you'll do fine with your rifle, especially since you "know" it. BTW, who do we contact at your shop, about case colloring a 99 Savage action.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd or Tracy will be glad to help you 585-657-6338.

Picked up a Barneys pack and that will give me back my 3 #s that I got extra in the rifle Smiler

Off to Newfoundland for Moose this Saturday with clients. Taking that heavy gun too!

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taj shoemaker:
Take your rifle Doug. You know someone who can fix whatever goes wrong. And you are at least 30lbs lighter than the average client your height so the extra 3lbs shouldn't make any difference.

My thought exactly--- Doug can certainly fix anything that happens to the gun. From what I have seen, Doug looks to be lean and fit. I'd take the 86!

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a new barrel on my 1886 and now 88 days till I leave for Wiseman. Getting my gear together, started a work out regiment last october. Lost about 10 lbs but now have cardio that i haven't had in years and i am much stronger than in years. Started walking and working out with a pack loaded down, finding the issues and fit of the pack with 50#s in it. looking forward to the trip!!!!

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:
I would second Jim's sentiments about the weather and mountains being really tough on a nice gun. Blued and wood guns are not cut out for that. My mountain rifle is around 7.5lbs loaded. 9.5 is fine since you will be likely guided and that means your guide will carry the lion's share of the weight. I would just be proficient with the gun if you're taking it out to at least 200 yards if not more (300). That might be a tall order for aging eyes and open sights.

Brett
You forget, that unlike the rest of us, if his gun gets beat up, rusted or otherwise damaged..... he can fix it and fix it to the point of being 'new' again. Take that 86 and have a great hunt Doug!
Doug, if you want to 'get used' to carrying the gun. When you walk, carry a "body bar", they come in 6,8,10 and 12 pounds. A 12 pound body bar carried when walking with your pack will get you ready to carry that 86 in the mountains.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck on the hunt
I took a 6.5 pound rifle and that was heavy enough for me.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take that beautiful rifle and be proud of it. remember there are some uncouth individuals that would take a blaser tu2

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug just out of curiosity, did you get that airplane back to NY and are you gonna fly it to AK for your trip?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug, leave the dumass derby hat home and save a few ounces :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im

Yes I did get the PA12 back home from Helena MT the first week of April, great trip solo flight and saw some really cool things on the way home too.
Stayed 2 nights with Frank Brownell at his house, great man and we talked about a little bit of everything. The new 200,000 sq. ft. building they are erecting is HUGE and it will be neat to see it all full of gunsmith tools and supplies for the shooter!!!

Yes, the dumass bowler will be going one way or another!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just what kinda rifle did folks use 50-75 yrs ago? Wood n blued steel IF there was still bluing left, if not it was bare, right?

Funny thing about rifle wt. I don't believe in slings, when my 11# rifle gets too heavy I just change hands. I claim when my knuckles start draggin on the ground that's time to change hands.

Glad you have nice guns.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best way to train is carry around a 40 - 50 lb backpack. start walking beginning at one to two miles to the point where you can walk comfortably for 5 to 6 miles. Use a walking stick as it helps with balance. This method paid off for me on a recent 10 day backpack hunt for brown bear.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that I have lost some weight and redistributed some weight. It is now time to get clothes ordered for the trip.

Got ahold of Sitka and bought pants vest and jacket for the trip.
Jet Stream vest and jacket
Mountain pants and Timberline pants.

Getting items layed out and now to start the weighing of items to see what the REAL weight is.

56 days to the flight to Fairbanks!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Turnbull,

Just make sure that your boots are broke in and your feet are toughened up. Your gun should work fine.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug just saw this and wanted to wish you good luck. And remember what you said to one of my students when they asked if the could handle one of you expensive rifles "I fixed it once I can fix it again". Best of luck.

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Doug, you have hunted enough in all sorts of places that you will have a great time. Sheep hunting is another of those "must do" hunts and, like Africa, an experience that tends to grow on people.
Enjoy

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
55 days to the start of my trip!! Well really it started last September.Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but also remember Alaska and its weather can be very very hard on a firearm.

Jim, he could always sent it out to a shop to have it restored. I hear there's a good place up near Buffalo, NY :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Doug.

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip and take lots of photos!

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weighing pack, spotting scope, tripod, binoculars, rain coat n pants, pants, wool under wear, gloves, jacket, vest, hat, sleeping bag, pad, , gun, ammo, now for the small items, camera, cleaning kit etc. Adds up to over 58# really quick. HUMMM what to change and/or cut out.

Doug

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I've been on several Alaska and Canada sheep hunts. I'm so blessed and excited to be able to go again to the Brooks Range this August with Dave Marsh for Dall Sheep. I adore the run up to these hunts with working out, and collecting gear, shooting at the range, it absolutely makes my year. If you'd like to collaborate gear-wise,don't hesitate to pm me.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
Weighing pack, spotting scope, tripod, binoculars, rain coat n pants, pants, wool under wear, gloves, jacket, vest, hat, sleeping bag, pad, , gun, ammo, now for the small items, camera, cleaning kit etc. Adds up to over 58# really quick. HUMMM what to change and/or cut out.

Sometimes it is easier to lose 10 pounds off the OEM body than off the gear list! tu2
Doug

Dave

Posts: 918 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm down to 13# from September 4% body fat and hike with a 78# pack in the hills. Finding the hot spots in boots and getting the fit of pack sorted. Cloths pack n rifle down to 45# with light cloths on body. Leave in 32 days!! Hiking on vacation/work in Mt, Idaho Wy the last n next 10 days. Off to Cody Wy for the Winchester arms collectors ass. show this next weekend. Gun sighted to 300 yrds ammo loaded, I think I'm fairly well set for this trip. Yep the work up to it is exciting too!!

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Doug, keep working on the fitness and I'll even let you pack out Franks' bear after you have done yours Big Grin

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to that next trip. One reason to keep in shape.