Find
Notify
Tools

Nebisna area?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
Anyone been to "Sportsmans Paradise" on the Nebisna road in St Elias national park?

Place is for sell, was wondering what kind of shape it is in before we put in our list of properties to check out.

A cursory google search showed that the owner has been there a long time, and had his run ins with the NPS.

Any thoughts?

Looks like a neat place to live.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Too funny I had looked at that property about 8 minuites ago on Lands of America.

Is it yours?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been down that road to the end at a hunting camp operated by some long time Alaskans, Kirk Ellis. The road is poor quality and was flooded when I was there. It is a long distance to town from there. It struck me as a place I would not want to be in come the winter.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted end of rd and that area.

Interisting area saw game sign, Saw sheep on the park side. Saw grizz tracks along the river My buddy had a chance at a wolf and black bear but he wasn't able to connect.

I am a inholder having the NPS for neigbors is a pain in the butt. Lots of power and money to screw with you if they want

Do you have a link so I can look and see If I remember it.

Posts: 19599 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we are slowly starting to think about transitioning into the real world.

http://creeksidehouse.blogspot.com/

Since the blog, I have sold the boat but installed a new Central Boiler (outdoor wood heater).

B&B does very well and we do not try very hard... Pays the mortgage...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I shot my first sheep off the Nabesna Road. Hunted the east side on a walk in hunt. Had a beer at that place when finished. Met a guide and a buddy of his who were looking for sheep; I walked back up the hill with them to fetch our gear (we brought meat back down the first trip).

Has the park always come up to the west side of the road or did it get expanded? seems to me one year I flew in to the west side, landing on a lake.

Brings back some memories. Good memories.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome place for big bears I mean up to 10 foot.No moose are few caribou the sheep hunting is awesome lots of wolves.The fishing is second to none.Funny i was just talking about there that same place to a friend last night!

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Live in relative aspect to that area where Sportsman's Lodge is at. Neat area. Lodge has been there for a long time. Fishing is good. Park service can and will make your life miserable. Hunting isn't great, but is okay. Inland grizz (around 8'), sheep, moose.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
28 miles down a not very well maintained road, and having to deal with the Parkies, sounds like a ton of fun.

Tok, Copper and Glennallen looking better and better.

How are the towns on the Parks highway, they have some subsistance hunting in the National Parks as well don't they?

My wife found quite a few houses she is in love with in Fairbanks, and I am going to burn off the GI Bill in grad school anyway. Might be a 1 of 100,000 in FB.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingsalmonak:
Yeah, we are slowly starting to think about transitioning into the real world.

http://creeksidehouse.blogspot.com/

Since the blog, I have sold the boat but installed a new Central Boiler (outdoor wood heater).

B&B does very well and we do not try very hard... Pays the mortgage...

Wow! Just looked at your blog. What's the deal on picking up walrus skulls, that's awesome.

When I was in Barrow it was kind of a pain in the ass. First you had to find them, then hide them so no one else could find them. Then ask USFWS for a permit, or you could buy a native killed/scrimshawed one for $1200.

Needless to say I never found one while in Barrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Northway is right on the money about Fredricks place, but it sure is nice country out there. I always wondered why it didn't do better, probably the Park Service had something to do with it. Sportssman's Paradise is still one of my favorite places in Alaska, spent an entire winter every weekend riding snowmachine & ice fishing all over the place out there. Ya know when we came up the Taylor, we had offers out Nabesna Road and have often wondered what if?

Remind me about it sometime and I'll fill ya in.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Is there a boat ramp on the haul road at the Yukon?

The base MWRs in FB rents jet boats, that will save us some money.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
MOA:
Was at the Yukon on the Haul Road yesterday. There is a boat ramp there.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal,

Wife has been e-stalking Fairbanks real estate agent websites pretty hard core.

I think I am headed to Fairbanks.

At the end of the day; commisary, postal exchange, military hospital, MWR outdoor equipment rentals, and that's where the college is.

It'll be a nice change from Canberra, and beats the crap out of living in Barrow like I did 15 years ago.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
MOA:
Good luck. I'll be passing up the Haul Road in a week for another crack at caribou. Last week our flight was delayed due to snow and fog on the north slope. This time I'll try an air boat if I can connect with an owner who wants his trip and hunt paid for.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
Anyone been to "Sportsmans Paradise" on the Nebisna road in St Elias national park?

Place is for sell, was wondering what kind of shape it is in before we put in our list of properties to check out.

A cursory google search showed that the owner has been there a long time, and had his run ins with the NPS.

Any thoughts?

Looks like a neat place to live.

Park Circus makes for difficult neighbors. Most of the Sheep off Nabesna Rd are small or shot when they just get legal. Moose hunting is tough off Nabesna Rd too many Bear and Wolves with them having the park for protected areas. Which may explain why the Fredricks do not hunt moose off the Nabesna Rd. Not many visitors and it would be tough to make that lodge run at a profit. But it is a neat very senic area, the mine at the end of the Rd, is full of history and fasinating, and Kirk Stanley is a pleasure to meet.

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents,

I'll be up next October (2013) to buy something then back in late December-Early Jan to move in.

Anyone got any good links on what to look for in a Fairbanks house as far as permafrost damage?