Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone got brown bear yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Are they out and about, anyone got one yet this spring? I prepared to be very jealous.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4774 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Kodiak. Saw a total of 5 bears, 2 boars both went up & over, 2 sows and a cub.

When I returned my permit to Fish & Game (last sunday) they said a total of 20 bears had been brought in- well below the expected 100-120 they normally have by then.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been a cold spring after a severe winter and my sources say few bears have been taken. Usually they are showing up on the beaches by this time.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I leave in 11 days for Unit 17 with AKshooter. I'll post a report upon my return at the end of the month.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
I just got back from Kodiak. Saw a total of 5 bears, 2 boars both went up & over, 2 sows and a cub.

When I returned my permit to Fish & Game (last sunday) they said a total of 20 bears had been brought in- well below the expected 100-120 they normally have by then.

Sorry to hear that. I guess spring is a gamble, but if you want a monster I'm told it's the time to go. I had a great hunt last fall, got a good bear, but now I have to live vicariously until I can afford a spring hunt on Kodiak Island and go after a 10 footer ...

577 best of luck, get a monster for all of us!

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4774 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is the snowfall this year, especially on the Peninsula was incredible? Which has me a bit worried, as I leave in 10 hrs for 10-day brown bear hunt on the Peninsula out of Port Moller.

My guide actually emailed me yesterday, told me he flew out to the remote little cabin we will hunt out of, to drop off supplies. He informed me that there was still 4 feet of snow, a few tracks around, the lake in front of the cabin that they normally use for hunting was still frozen, and to be prepared for physically tough conditions, and hunting mostly on snow-shoes!

Well, doesn't that just sound like a barrel of fun?? He asked me to postpone by a week, but I cannot - as I leave for Africa on May 22nd. I've have spent the past 6-8 weeks, hiking 6 miles per day - 3 days per week, and still hitting the weights pretty hard 3 days a week as well. I just hope I am prepared for a snow-shoe/backpack bear hunt? No doubt my guide will be, and my cameraman is in good shape too - so likely I'll be bringing up the rear!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
We leave this Friday. I hope the snow is gone or low in our area on the Pennisula in Unit 9A in the Cottonwood Bay area.

Posts: 241 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend got back last week, and took an 8-footer on a Sno-Go hunt out by the Behring area.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MotorCity:
We leave this Friday. I hope the snow is gone or low in our area on the Pennisula in Unit 9A in the Cottonwood Bay area.

If you are hunting Cottonwood with Steve Morris, please say hi for me!!! He's a really good guy, and Cottonwood Bay is a good place for bears.

Good luck!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Guys,

It been consistently in the 40's and low 50's for the last three weeks or so. There's still snow around but its rotten from top to bottom. The ice all has water on top of it and some rivers are breaking up. Expect the lakes to go another week or three.

Hiking in the rotten snow will be the challenge. Be prepared to sweat and have a way to stay comfortable while doing so. Your going to be big time wet inside and out so for petes sake show up prepared to handle it.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Hi Aaron,
Yes, we are hunting with Steve. I will say Hi. Good luck on your hunt. I will call you next month. I will be looking for a deer hunt to take my 8 year old son and his grand father on this fall. We just want to see a lot of deer.

Posts: 241 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm leaving tomorrow for Cold Bay and the weather looks to be pretty tough with wind chills in the teens for the most part. Good luck to everyone and safe travels!

Posts: 66 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
I was in the Chigs over the weekend and yes, it was cold w/ lots of snow and ice. Most of the Bering Sea coast from Port Heiden to Egegik is still ice bound.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a boat hunt on Baranoff with Bruce Parker. Bears were very scarce until we found a good one at 7:30 on the last day.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Kodiak or the Penn, but the Kenai Penn and Katchemack bay still have plenty of snow. Best of luck guys.

Brett

PS> Aaron if you see this and are in Anchorage give me a call on the cell.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you all and post pictures when you get back!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bradhe, did you get him???

Posts: 28 | Location: SE,AK | Registered: 10 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Jake Jefferson off of snowmobiles April 20-30th halfway between Paxton and Cantwell. There are a lot of bears in this area. We saw three sows each with two cubs a piece and two lone bears that were too high up in the mountains to go after. Plenty of tracks high up on the mountains and we came across tracks (3-6) of good sized lone bears low enough to hunt, but could never connect. We also set on a den one day. Riding a snowmobile on wilderness trails was a lot more challenging than I expected. I dumped into the snow on many occassions and trying to dig myself out along with the snowmobile, dressed as I was, was much worse than the stairmaster at the gym. I even managed to find a rock in all that snow, bent one of the front skis, crunched the plastic oil pan, and tweaked the front housing which had to be jury rigged with a wire coat hanger for the rest of the hunt. This was my first Grizzly hunt so I am nowhere close to knowing much, but my impression is that the bears don't like deep snow anymore than I did. They came out of their dens, took a look around and went back up to wait for further melt. It was still a great experience and now I have bear fever and will have to try again. We saw caribou, moose, a river otter, lots of porcupine, fresh wolf tracks, and plenty of fox and wolverine sign. I know thats no big deal to you Alaskans, but I am from Southern California. Jake spotted all the bears and it takes quite a talent to find those things high up on mountainsides. Good luck to the rest of you.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. 7:30 on the last day and 450 yards up the snowfield (which entailed 3 more hours of extraction)

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! What a great shot under pressure!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arrived in Port Moller today, and the Bering Sea is still full of ice - lots of snow everywhere.

Right now we are sitting in Bear Lake Lodge, and we are glassing a 9' bear walking along the frozen lake's edge as I sit here typing.

Both my cameraman and I are still missing 1/2 of our gear too. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow, we have almost no hunting clothes and no ammo! If we get our stuff, we will fly to HooDoo Lake at starting hunting on Thursday. It's definitely gonna be a snow-shoe hunt!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Kodiak last week, heard the Mike Munsey's opinion, ther'was little movement of bears, as compared to the same period in previuos years. Four hunters took two bears. So the success rate was 50%.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both my cameraman and I are still missing 1/2 of our gear too. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow, we have almost no hunting clothes and no ammo! If we get our stuff, we will fly to HooDoo Lake at starting hunting on Thursday. It's definitely gonna be a snow-shoe hunt!

sounds like WenAir Roll Eyes
good luck Aaron.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depart Friday for ANC then on the Sand Point on Saturday with Deltana Outfitters. My daughter is the hunter and I will be along for support and camera duties. Hoping for warm winds.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:

sounds like WenAir Roll Eyes

Yep Brad, that's the one!!!!
good luck Aaron.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
good luck Aaron

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was definately a "focus and don't screw up" shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3rd day, still stuck in the lodge at Bear Lake. 40mph winds, snowing like hell, and still no gear either. At least 6" of new snow, and still coming down hard. Bear season opened today, but no for us. Just hurry up and wait!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Ahh yes, Alaska.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Bwanna got back after a spring bear hunt in April and described the very same scenarios. No bear for him either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went with Sam Fejes on Kodiak, we hunted Horse Marine. The weather was not very good but ended up killing a 9'9" with a 29" skull. We saw only 3 bears and ended killing the 3rd one in the worst weather we hunted in all week. I will try an post some pics tomorrow. Sam Fejes has a first class outfit with some unbelievable hunting areas. This was one of the toughest hunts I have ever been on but was well worth it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more thing about the hunt we got it all on video. If you guys are interested you can check out the video on youtube. Go to the search bar and type in joelcolgrove
That should bring up my channel, if that doesn't work go to my buddy channel proguide66
he also has it on his channel, you should watch them both they are both a little different.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcjr:
I went with Sam Fejes on Kodiak, we hunted Horse Marine. The weather was not very good but ended up killing a 9'9" with a 29" skull. We saw only 3 bears and ended killing the 3rd one in the worst weather we hunted in all week. I will try an post some pics tomorrow. Sam Fejes has a first class outfit with some unbelievable hunting areas. This was one of the toughest hunts I have ever been on but was well worth it.

Nice bear - congrats!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcjr:
....but ended up killing a 9'9" with a 29" skull. We saw only 3 bears....

Aaron,

You only need to see one if it's the right one!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett, that's correct, and congrats to jcjr, what a great bear. I want a 10 footer, this is 5th time trying for a legit 10' bear, but if see a 9' 9" bear with a 29" skull, the guide better duck!

We are now on day 4 here in the lodge, again this morning, the weather totally sucks. Still snowing, no doubt we have 18" of new snow, and it keeps coming. Who knows what's gonna happen, at this point I just wish I had my gear, so I could get a fresh pair of underwear, and a clean shirt!

Will keep you posted - thank the lord for Internet, or I would be going crazy.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted the pictures of the bear I talked about last night.
[IMG]
http://i815.photobucket.com/al...r/DSC00161.jpg[/IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres the link to the two videos I made of the hunt.
http://youtu.be/X7AkHr0-J5k
http://youtu.be/NvVrH6aTMEw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jcjr, that's a beauty - good for you man!

Well, you guys will love this one. I now sit in the world of the galacticly freakin stupid!!!

Pen Air, quite possibly operated by the dumbest people on planet earth has done the following with my hunting gear, ammo, etc, etc. Finally in the past few hrs planes are in the air. So, Bozo airlines flew our bags to Sandy River, 20 miles from and dropped em off, why, no idea, but they did. So, Sandy river radios over here, says we have two bags for Neilson & Montgomery at our place. Ok, well at least they are closer. So, our guide gets in his super cub headed to Sandy River. No sooner does he leave, than the 2nd Pen Air planes arrives in Sandy, the pilot loads up our bags, and is now on his way 100 miles back to King Salmon. All while our guide is thinking our bags are in Sandy, burning up AV gas, trying to help us get out and hunt.

4 days ago in King Salmon, no fewer than 30 hunters, that's right, 30 hunters, were missing bags, gear, guns, and they all originated one short flight away in Anchorage, with all of their gear. In my life, I have seen such disorganization, lack of information, and frankly, plain stupidity, than with Pen Air. It's mind boggling!!!!!!

It's not the first time Ive flown them, I wish it could be the last. But as long as they have the monopoly on this part of the world, their incentive to grow a brain, is lacking.

Finally we can fly, finally we can get to camp and hunt, but not now. Well, that's my rant for the day. Hope you other guys fair better, and good luck.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I feel for you; I spent five days waiting to fly out on a moose hunt in BC some years ago. Drove me crazy. But shot a nice moose on Day 6. Hopefully you will get out and whack one.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote