Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Goat Hunting in Alaska.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tracker,

You can buy your license and tags directly from your guide if he is a vendor or at local stores in AK. I don't know what the lic./tags will be this year but it won't be exorbitant. Prices for the hunts vary depending on the type of hunt etc. but my guy in SE Alaska is getting over $9000.00. Late October into November are the best times to hunt since the snowfall drives the goats down. The best areas are in SE Alaska and the hunt I mentioned is conducted from a 60' yacht which makes for a very comfortable camp. You do need a guide as a non-resient alien. Your 7mm will be fine. Goats are like anything else if the first bullet is in the right place your set. The shots can be 300 yards but you will have plenty of time to get set up. The most difficult part of the shooting is that it is often at a steep uphill angle.

If the trade is with a guide that hunts in the manner I described you better go for it. If the guy hunts earlier and you have to climb way up you are in for a grunt. If the guy is not an Alaska Registered Guide forget it.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
This guy is a guide.

Joe Romano from GAS AND TIME ALASKAN OUTFITTERS LLC.

The hunt is in Prince William Sound, and yeah you hunt/spot from a boat and then "Spike" camp (We call it flycamping.) up where they are. Means a climb of 2-3,000 feet. No helicoptors, so you loose a bit of sweat.

There's also supposed to be plenty of Black Bears in the same area, so might try and go for one of those, while I'm up there.

Sounds like the Halibut fishing is mighty worthwhile as well round there.

The non-resident licence for a goat is now up to $300.00 (Let me know if I have that wrong, I get confused with all the tags and licences you guys have to buy.)

I am no stranger to hard mountain hunting,and can take a bit of wet and cold, sounds like Tahr and Goats are pretty much similar, in the logistics of getting them.

I was originally wanting to swap for a Moose, but have had no takers to date. A Tahr and Red Stag Combo would be a fair swap for a Moose, I reckon, so long as the moose is a good one.

Any of you Alaska boys interested?

I'm interested in further thoughts on the choice of rifle, if someone has something to add.

BTW thanks for the great info above. This sort of thing makes visiting this site so worthwhile.

And all the best for Thanksgiving Day. We don't have it down here, but sure wouldn't mind some roast turkey.

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Have been pricing airfares to Anchorage.
Looks like if you book early enough, then there's some good deals, starting at USD$1,365.00
Stop-over in L.A or Honalulu.
At that price all you Alaskins should be coming down here to NZ for a hunt in your off-season.
BTW how do you get from Anchorage to Prince William Sound?

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If you know Shane Johnson, David Jacobs or Ross Green ask about Alaska. They are all good keen men who have hunted Alaska. You won't regret it.

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Yeah I know Shane Johnson well, we're in the same Search & Rescue Unit. I think he's up there in Alaska right now.
Don't know the other fellas.

To add to above post. Tag is $300 and the Non-Resident licence is $85. Not sure about the alien thing, maybe I'm one of those as well.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Quote:

BTW how do you get from Anchorage to Prince William Sound?

Probably the quickest route is to drive to Whittier, which is a town located on the Sound.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing to remeber is that a goat is like a tahr in that the trophy is really th ecape. Early season goats make for more exciting climbing, but the trophy is a shadow of what a late season goat is. I would not go before mid OCtober

My tahr is finally in the US, clearing Fish and WIldlife in Atlanta. After drying it measured 13 7/8" for a Douglas score of 45 6/8. I hunt with a buddy who lives in Central Otago. I'll be back in NZ in May fo rmore tahr and chamois hunting.

Here are a couple of shots of the tahr. I will never kill a better trophy. THis is like killing a awhitetail that nets 200 points Typical Boone and Crockette

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2135136496 [image]http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2135136496[/image]

If the guy can get you on a late season goat, make the swap

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
He's talkin 15-22nd Oct.

You sure got a dream bull there.

Looks like you were onthe western side of the Alps.

Bases must have been around 9 inchs.

Hope you're getting a full body mount.

Well done.

If you have the opportunity, drop by and visit when you'r over in May. (We're in Methven-Mount Hutt Skifield)

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Tracker, Yes, you'll have to get an alien licenses and because of that you have to have a guide but if you are trading hunts with a guide it'll be no problem. Do ask and be sure he is a registered Alaskan guide and not just someone who takes you out on his boat and then you do the hunt basically on your own.
Your 7mm should be perfect.

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Anyone else heard of this guy?

Is it realistic to do a Black Bear and a Goat in a week, in that area?

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=614100363#614100363

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."