Find
Notify
Tools

Coating your Stainless Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
What is available to coat our rifles with i have a Ruger all weather M77 in 30/06 that i was thinking on sending out. I see remington is now using something called TriNyte on there xcr rifles and there stainless awr rifles are coated with Teflon. Winchester was supposed to coat there stainless rifles as well . But what is out there for us and what is actually coated do they do the trigger assembly as well ? And with all the talk about preparing your rifle for coastel Alaskan hunts, what should be done to the scope?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do not want to send it out just paint it with Krylon Paint.
Cover the scope lenses, turrets and scope seams with tape and paint it too.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
If it was my rifle, I'd leave it alone and wipe it down every night and don't store it wet. Nothing needs to be done if you have a good quality scope. BTW, get some Butler Creek covers.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tanoose;

there was a thread on here not too long ago about all the different coatings available. the search button is your friend, good luck. keep the rust away....

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
If you do not want to send it out just paint it with Krylon Paint.
Cover the scope lenses, turrets and scope seams with tape and paint it too.

YEP,
I have been painting guns for years. My Model 70 in .375H&H has had Brownell krinkle paint on it for over 20 years. I have dragged it all over the place with some hunts where it really took a beating. You peel the paint and the blue looks like a new rifle underneath. The krinkle paint is heat applied(a hairdryer is good) and it is a much thicker paint then most so it provides nick and ding protection also.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with paint. I've used alot of different finishes, some work some dont. Krylon works. Its not gonna win any beauty pagents but I havent dealt with rust either.

One of my rifles, a savage in 338 has been painted for about 7 years now and I have never had a problem with it. I strip it down and refinish it every couple of years and no problems. This was my loaner gun and it hasnt had a good life, stock looks like hell but if I was to reblue it, the metal would look great. Just my 2 cents

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
The toughest finish on the market is Mr Birdsongs Black-T and Green-T. It was originaly designed to rust proof Submarine Parts, It's used by more Gov. agencies than I can list including FBI HRT, Navy Seals...

Check out this link. Mr birdsong does not advertise or have a Web page, but he has been verey bussy for over 25 years.

Sniper Central

Good Luck
Dr B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr B,
I hope your right on the money.

I spoke to Mr. Birdsong a couple of months ago and I liked what he had to say.

I currently have a 338-06 at his shop getting the Black-T finish. I am expecting it back any day now.

If I like the finish, which I fully expext to. I plan on sending my reworked CZ 416 Rigby to him after Marc Stokeld get's done with it.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FORGOT to mention,
the krinkle paint has a very rough texture to it when it dries. It is almost like gripping a sandpaper, making it "sticky" for haning onto in just about any conditions, whether snow and ice or really hot when you are perspiring so much your hands are constantly wet.

not pretty but very protective stuff. All my serious guns are painted.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose,

I had Dave Gentry blue my Mdl.70 SS, mostly because I just dont like the SS look. I also use paste wax on the metal before I get to Alaska. This and wiping down the rifle nightly keep rust from starting. I have heard good things about Robar's treatments. And mixed reviews on teflon coatings. My Brown bear guide carried a pre - 64 in 458 and painted his barrel every few years. I am heading back to the peninsula in under a month and this time I'll have a rust blued rifle I treat it with wax just like the SS, will see how this holds up, but I think it will be fine given some daily attention.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose ,there has been a recent sighting of a mountain lion with cubs in the Catskill Mtns , near tannersville. They are not denying their existance anymore !! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mete thats not far from me , there have been alot of sightings i even had one guy in our club swear he saw one on our property one night on his way to town year before last but i have seen no sign of them myself. I myself did spot one up in Windum but that was back in 1971 and i haven't seen any since.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Tanoose ,there has been a recent sighting of a mountain lion with cubs in the Catskill Mtns , near tannersville. They are not denying their existance anymore !! Big Grin
I have a friend in PA who is a hunter who has hunted the western USA for years,had college classes in game mgt and owns his own hardwood logging company & mill so he's out in the forest 5 days or more each week.He observed a mtn lion in PA probably over 10 years ago and reported it to the game commission,they didn't believe him .If you're out in their habitat and want to find out if any are nearby make a deep coughing sound if you get a reply lock and load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is available to coat our rifles with?

Rustoleum comes in camo colors these days. Worked fine on a wood stock I cut down for my son. I've a got a mutt of a sporterized Mauser that is destined to become a painted all over rain rifle soon as I find a barrel band front sight base.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just had my rifle coated. Here is a thread with pics from th egunsmithing section. Very happy with Mac's

SS coating thread

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
I too have Birdsong's finish on several guns. Mostly on blue steel but I have had a friend put teflon on two of my stainless and two more blued guns. It has worked fine for the past several years. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
I used Rustoleum Hi-Temp 1300-degree BBQ paint on an L1A1 Sporter.

I cleaned the gun, taped off anything I didn't want to paint, and gave it several light, even coats.
Let it dry for a week.

That finish was super tough and never came off!
I even smoked a few 20-round magazines full through it.
All that did was cure the paint! Big Grin
It was worth the money, for sure.

NAHC Life Member
NRA Endowment/Life Member
Remington Society of America Member
Hunter in Training

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote