THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    After 3 maulings,some Anchorage residents want officials to crack down on bears
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After 3 maulings,some Anchorage residents want officials to crack down on bears
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
You know I have absolutely no sympathy for these fools. If they don't like it they can pack their shit and hit the road. A native I used to work with in Dillingham had a profound answer for all complaints about living in Dillingham "There's a plane leaving every day". Enough said. Problem solved!

If they want to live in bear country they need to adapt to it. Others do. As mentioned in the article a requirement for bear proof trash containers is a great start. Electrify your yard. It works. During times of high bear traffic run your kids back and forth from the bus/school/whatever. Adapt, move to a condo in town or a better idea is to just leave. Alaska is too special a place to have people living there that want it to be like Seattle.

Mark

Well said, Mark.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My complaint is inadequate enforcement of the laws that exist about garbage, bird feeders, etc. I think it would go a long way toward keeping bears from becoming problem bears....

I know Petra Davis, and am very glad she survived--but hosting a 24 hour bike race along those trails was a poor idea at best.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.....just kill the bears ... I keep my sacks of chicken feed right outside the window so it is an easy shot with a snub nose revolver ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
You're just teasing us. Either you're fatening them up for the slaughter with chicken feed, or you're making pets out of them. It's difficult to imagine Gumboot communing with the bears, but stranger things have happened. Big Grin
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
The answer to this problem is simple, get a better grip on managing the bears, not the people. People just need to be smart and not give the bears a reason to come around. A bear hunting season would go a long way into fixing our little problem with ole ursus.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Of course people need to be smart and not give bears a reason to come around. Apparantly that's easy to say, but not so simple in the real world. There is a large enough percentage of people who just won't do it, and it probably doesn't have much to do with whether they are smart or not, but it has a lot to do with attitude. These are the people who just have to be subjected to the enforcment of the law, if it's gonna happen.

As for managing bears, OK go for it. Have you ever tried to herd cats? Big Grin

KB

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Just kill the bears .

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
Just kill the bears .

OK, how would you propose to kill the bears? Are you suggesting killing all bears or just the ones in town, or maybe just trouble bears?

Would you want to be the appointed executioner, of would you propose paying some govt employees or contractors to do it?

Would you limit the methods to shooting or could it include any method, poisioning for example?

Would you ride just off the beach in a boat and gut shoot all seen so they would run off and die? Would you try to save the hides, of just let um rot? Maybe shoot one and use it for baiting another?

Lets get specific with your plan, which would certainly solve the "bear problem". popcorn fishing

KB

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Killing and relocating work but not very well.

Bears can't be taught unfortunatly.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Give the bears and the people leaving their garbage out a "nature IQ test", shoot the stupid ones ...

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
.. If someone sees a bear and it is stationary or moving slow enough ,KABOOOOOM . they can do with it as they see fit , self determination , ya know .... Pretty soon the sows will get the idea and the congestion on the remote fish criks and berry patches ect. will be reduced so the bears won,t be in town .... Kind of funny that there hasn,t always been a bear problem in Eagle River ect , at least when bears knew if they were seen by a person they would stop breathing ...... If you doubt that ask some bear guide if they go strolling thru their hunting area stinking it up ....... Bears know people are there to kill them , they ought to know that in our quaint little towns . salute

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Two aspects amaze me.
First is "sows will get the idea", "bears knew", "bears know".
Second is - how does a person know what a bear knows, and whether bears actually have ideas?

We have horse whisperers, and dog whisperers, maybe cat whisperers. Certainly there is need for a bear whisperer, for the good of humanity at heart. The antithesis of a Tim Treadwell. Such astonishing talent should not be wasted on a forum like this. Wink Roll Eyes

KB

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
"There's a plane leaving every day".

Too good. I may use that Mark.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
Two aspects amaze me.
First is "sows will get the idea", "bears knew", "bears know".
Second is - how does a person know what a bear knows, and whether bears actually have ideas?

We have horse whisperers, and dog whisperers, maybe cat whisperers. Certainly there is need for a bear whisperer, for the good of humanity at heart. The antithesis of a Tim Treadwell. Such astonishing talent should not be wasted on a forum like this. Wink Roll Eyes

KB

Pull your head out ! Your --------- is showing ! . Your grasp of the obvious is in need of repair ..

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course people need to be smart and not give bears a reason to come around. Apparantly that's easy to say, but not so simple in the real world. There is a large enough percentage of people who just won't do it, and it probably doesn't have much to do with whether they are smart or not, but it has a lot to do with attitude. These are the people who just have to be subjected to the enforcment of the law, if it's gonna happen.

As for managing bears, OK go for it. Have you ever tried to herd cats? Big Grin

KB
Herding cats? WTF kind of response is that? Nobody said anything about herding bears except you, the bears need to be killed, eventually the rest of them will catch on and stop making a nuisance of themselves. Funny back in the 60's they didn't have this problem and you know why? They shot the gd things, which is what we need to do but the freakin liberal bunny huggers and tree huggers want F&G to manage the people instead of the bears. You just don't get it and frankly, never will.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
Killing and relocating work but not very well.

Bears can't be taught unfortunatly.

We've ended up with two relocated "problem" bears down at our cabin in the past 5 years. Mom told me there was a black bear over Memorial Day. The other one was a juvi brown bear. They are clearly ID'ed by bright ear tags.

She made an inquiry to ADF&G about the situation. They know where our cabin is now and they don't drop them off on our beach, but they seem to end up there. I could have killed the brownie as a DLP quite easily, but showed some mercy. He did end up ruining a 15 year old Avon raft - had about 10 claw punctures that I could never get airtight patches on. It was just one weekend out of one summer. I would have classified him as aggresive. He was eventually killed in Taku Inlet trying to get back to J-town.

They explained their philosophy. Agressive bears are destroyed. Bears that show fear of humans are relocated out at the end of the road. If they return once, they may be given a boat ride further away. Generally, after a second relocate, if they return, they are destroyed.

Last year, there were two incidents involving bears entering homes. I think you need to harvest bears in urban areas. Not sure what the best means of accomplishing this with the local firearm ordinances.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..Change the local firearms ordinances ....Teach people that if they want to see wild life they should go out where people don,t live yet ...Then when they see them they should shoot them ,put them on the wall so they could always see a bear that isn,t a threat ...

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:
.... They shot the gd things, which is what we need to do but the freakin liberal bunny huggers and tree huggers want F&G to manage the people instead of the bears. You just don't get it and frankly, never will.

Ditto to you. I rest my case. Maybe you should try it - tree hugging - might make you feel better and work off some aggression, not that I know anything about it, but it might just work in your case. I would recommend bunny hugging, but I pity the bunny too much. popcorn

KB

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
.... They shot the gd things, which is what we need to do but the freakin liberal bunny huggers and tree huggers want F&G to manage the people instead of the bears. You just don't get it and frankly, never will.

Ditto to you. I rest my case. Maybe you should try it - tree hugging - might make you feel better and work off some aggression, not that I know anything about it, but it might just work in your case. I would recommend bunny hugging, but I pity the bunny too much. popcorn

KB
You can,t rest your case until you go to the next meeting of the Orca Inlet Liberals and stand up and declare loudly ,,, " Gumboot is right , Kabluey was wrong ... We gotta kill them bearts !!!!

salute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot - you still over here tryin' ta start a Bear Holocaust ... Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We need a good pandemic to wipe out a few billion people so wildlife has a fighting chance.

The thing I like about big-city people is when they stay in the big cities. They have no business "communing with nature", or "moving to the country". They should just continue to commune with the meat counter at their nearest grocery store and call it good.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
We need a good pandemic to wipe out a few billion people so wildlife has a fighting chance.

The thing I like about big-city people is when they stay in the big cities. They have no business "communing with nature", or "moving to the country". They should just continue to commune with the meat counter at their nearest grocery store and call it good.

thumb

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Living in Kodiak for most of the Past 30 years I can say that I agree with both issues. Now mind you what I say pertains strictly to Kodiak and NO WHERE ELSE!
1. Animal rights people that may read this, just take a hike.
2. Because our bear advocates, one being guides, like to have very successful hunter percentages. We have let way more bears go un-harvested than we should. Last year we took three trouble bears and for the first time one was hit and killed by a truck.
a. One bear was taken after she ate her way through a cat door on someones back porch. Another was taken a hundred yards from me at the Catholic School. Another (I was hunting this one) was taken two tenths of a mile from me on the city airport runway. The last was taken five miles out of town at the State airport and as far as I am concerned was not justified. Lots of idiots standing around taking pictures of the pretty bear. Dipsticks refusing to move from a fishing hole. I have pictures of this bear getting ready to fish and I always move and give the right of way to the bears. There are lots of places to fish that bears do not go to.

Over the years we have m80'd them, shot them with pain killers/rubber bullets. Moved them 130 miles to the other end of the island. They are back in 4 days. The population is ever increasing on the city end of the island because of the unbelievable population of big bears everywhere. Big bears chase smaller bears off the streams. Little bears keep getting pushed to where the density of bears is much less, hence ending up on the road system end of the island. WE took more bears off the road system last year then ever before. It is a shame that the bag limits are not increased all over. But the guides have a large lobby and they make a lot of money from those large bears.

Two years ago I had my first aggressive bear encounter 50 yards away from the shooting end of the shooting range where all ten benches were occupied with shooters. I had just returned from a 7 hour hike up the river drainage and rounded the corner through the tall grass on a trail no where near any water. A sow with two little ones, was standing next to my truck 30 yards away. I exited stage right as fast as I could go and got behind two giant cottonwood trees while she dropped and charged. AT 12 feet she stopped and turned to look and see where her cubs were. My two dogs flanked both sides of her with me and my friendly trees in the middle. She had not bargained on the dogs as the grass was high and the wind was at her back. She ran.

Now this is the metality of Fish and Game. I actually put up signs at the entrance to the range the same day. I told all people at the range of the encounter moments ago.

When I told the story to fish and game: (1) because I ran she charged_ Bullshit John. SHe dropped heading for me and I had no intention of taking on the bear in the open and I ran perpendiculer placing a screen of trees between her and I. ( 2) he tried again: She was after the dogs. John the wind was at her back and the grass was belly high on me and I was not walking horse dogs. (3) Well the bears are pre-conditioned Neal to the shooting and the man smell and are unafraid as they should be. Dang John you got it! He was interested why I did not shoot the bear at that range. First John I am lazy and did not want to go through the whole salvage thing and give you a hide to sell. Secondly those little babies would have died before anyone could do anything about it.

In summing up. Bears and man can co-exist as long as man wants to give the bears their rightful place and as long as the numbers aren't so great that force the bears into mans area. We have hundreds of salmon stream with millions of fish all over the island. Until the last few years bear problems or even sightings were rare.
There are way to many bears and out city limits haven't changed in years.

SOmething to think about

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Finally - - common sense and reason. Thank you.
kb

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
kb
.. .

But what is the stated end of what you say is logic ... .. Opening up the season so that more bears get killed ... You just get all googly because he said the bears own land ...........I,m suprised you didn,t challenge his statement that the big bears ran the smaller bears off .......As you did with my statement of the same .. Are you starting to pull your head out ????????????????????????????????????

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
The only policy on bears that has worked for us is Zero Tolerance,

M-80s,dogs,birdshot,etc only makes them braver. When a bear intrude's on your space DLP the bugger and turn the hide and skull into the state.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
kb
.. .

But what is the stated end of what you say is logic ... .. Opening up the season so that more bears get killed ... You just get all googly because he said the bears own land ...........I,m suprised you didn,t challenge his statement that the big bears ran the smaller bears off .......As you did with my statement of the same .. Are you starting to pull your head out ????????????????????????????????????

Arguing with you is a form of amusment, because I already know there is no chance of changing your mind, about anything.

Sometimes though the amusment part wears thin - like poking a stick at a cobra would be amusing just so long.

I don't think I disagreed with you about the big bears running off the little bears, but -- whatever.
KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
The only policy on bears that has worked for us is Zero Tolerance,

M-80s,dogs,birdshot,etc only makes them braver. When a bear intrude's on your space DLP the bugger and turn the hide and skull into the state.

I think what you said there waterrat is unfortunately true. It is what it is.

IMO there is a difference in what you are saying and what Gumboot is saying, which is the reason I argue with him.

quote:
Just kill the bears .

The thing perhaps not fully appreciated from the above quote is that Gumboot literally means it. All bears, anywhere, by any means, because their mere existance anywhere on the planet is an intrusion to him, or at least a bullet testing medium - nothing more. Like a walking gob of ballistics geletin, with fur.

I was hopeing that someone else would pick up on that distinction and go with it, but perhaps everyone else has better sense.

KB

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
The thing perhaps not fully appreciated by the above quote is that Gumboot literally means it. All bears - anywhere, by any means, because their mere existance anywhere on the planet is an intrusion to him.

I was hopeing that someone else would pick up on that distinction and go with it, but perhaps everyone else has better sense.

KB[/QUOTE].

Tho this is not a proveable statement , I have run off more brown bears than bluey has seen while on foot ........Thats the big difference in being an indoorsman and an Outdoorsman !!! Black bears ,, no way I could keep track of the black bears .....

So if alaskans would start killing some of these bears they interact with in places like shooting ranges ect there would be fewer problems with bears ..... Heck , if residens would get a bear tag and just go kill the 1st easy brown bear they run into that is old enough and doesn,t have cubs instead of holding out for the TEN FOOTER , it would make things alot better . And they would realize it was a bunch of fun and they would gain skill in the taking of bears .... They may find they enjoyed the heck out of the whole process ... I really do feel sorry for non residents who want to hunt bear but can,t afford to ...... Just hunting them is fun ,killing them is even funner .....By the way , Unit 13 doesn,t have a closed season on any bears ... 3 black and 1 grizzly a year . so if your a resident and you come over to go dip netting ect , bring your guide gun and if a bear pokes its nose into your business turn it into a nice summer rug ......Check the regs. where you will be , but thats the way it is in 13 .... A bear ain,t got no right to tear up a fish wheel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
+ 1 hammertyme.
+1 Kabluewy.

Bear in Fbks.

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Just kill the bears .

The thing perhaps not fully appreciated from the above quote is that Gumboot literally means it. All bears, anywhere, by any means, because their mere existance anywhere on the planet is an intrusion to him, or at least a bullet testing medium - nothing more. Like a walking gob of ballistics geletin, with fur.
KB

Just say it ain't so, Gumboot. The listening stops there. Everything else is fluff.
KB

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not into communing with bears either,

KB

I think this is your problem .. I love hanging around in areas where there are LOTS of bears .... .. One time , I got such a laugh out of watching a bear play with a crab pot float that was tied to my skiff on the beach @ 8 Fathom that I didn,t kill it , tho I legally could have and I had to get a new pot float ....... Oh , thanks by the way ... I forgot to tell you but I borrowed one of yours ..... wave .... The coolest thing about here is I get to hunt bears , on fish criks ,in the summer , when visibility is the worst .. course even with summer foliage .it's not as thick as Southeast .....
Touched up the sight in on the Spruce King yesterday ...
What could be cooler ... Fishin , and bear hunting , simultaneously ..... dancing....

P.S. you spelled " gelatin " wrong and you forgot the bones ..[ it should read ] ballistic gelatin with bones and fur !!! thumb

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I can't understand some things. I mean, I could understand stepping on a spider, wanting to eliminate or decimate fire ants, cane toads, wasps, jelly fish, or poodles, etc., or even shooting a troublesome or aggressive bear, but I can't understand where a person is coming from who has so little regard for a creature God saw fit to put here, leftover from the ice age and beyond. It's truly defiance to a higher power, or at least something bigger than ourselves. I’m not talking about bears being bigger than us, but a belief, or ideology, or just simple perspective. On a smaller scale, Alaska without bears just wouldn't be right, it would be like Alaska without glaciers, or without salmon.

Almost all of the things that make Alaska what it is had so very very little to do with us, but it has almost everything to do with what brought us here.

KB

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Somebody must be doing their typing after they do their drinkin .... Enough to get ignored ... How many does this make ?

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Do you have to see who can get the most nastiest, and personal to see who gets the last word? I ain't playing along with that girly silliness.

KB

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

KB
I'll take my aggression out on the bears, you can stick with tree and bunny hugging as it seems to fit you quite well. Wink

"We band of 45-70'ers"

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
As I remember, I think my herding cats comment got you off your toilet seat, and somehow you associated that comment with bunnies and trees.

Are you really so simple-minded that you think anyone who disagrees with you hugs bunnies and trees. Heck, I could make up a whole bunch of assumptions about you, just for my amusment, and probably some of them would be true, but since I don't really know you, validity would be questionable.

Just what is a bunny or tree hugger by your definition, aside from someone who disagrees with you?

KB

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammertyme:
Living in Kodiak for most of the Past 30 years I can say that I agree with both issues. Now mind you what I say pertains strictly to Kodiak and NO WHERE ELSE!
1. Animal rights people that may read this, just take a hike.
2. Because our bear advocates, one being guides, like to have very successful hunter percentages. We have let way more bears go un-harvested than we should. Last year we took three trouble bears and for the first time one was hit and killed by a truck.
a. One bear was taken after she ate her way through a cat door on someones back porch. Another was taken a hundred yards from me at the Catholic School. Another (I was hunting this one) was taken two tenths of a mile from me on the city airport runway. The last was taken five miles out of town at the State airport and as far as I am concerned was not justified. Lots of idiots standing around taking pictures of the pretty bear. Dipsticks refusing to move from a fishing hole. I have pictures of this bear getting ready to fish and I always move and give the right of way to the bears. There are lots of places to fish that bears do not go to.

Over the years we have m80'd them, shot them with pain killers/rubber bullets. Moved them 130 miles to the other end of the island. They are back in 4 days. The population is ever increasing on the city end of the island because of the unbelievable population of big bears everywhere. Big bears chase smaller bears off the streams. Little bears keep getting pushed to where the density of bears is much less, hence ending up on the road system end of the island. WE took more bears off the road system last year then ever before. It is a shame that the bag limits are not increased all over. But the guides have a large lobby and they make a lot of money from those large bears.

Two years ago I had my first aggressive bear encounter 50 yards away from the shooting end of the shooting range where all ten benches were occupied with shooters. I had just returned from a 7 hour hike up the river drainage and rounded the corner through the tall grass on a trail no where near any water. A sow with two little ones, was standing next to my truck 30 yards away. I exited stage right as fast as I could go and got behind two giant cottonwood trees while she dropped and charged. AT 12 feet she stopped and turned to look and see where her cubs were. My two dogs flanked both sides of her with me and my friendly trees in the middle. She had not bargained on the dogs as the grass was high and the wind was at her back. She ran.

Now this is the metality of Fish and Game. I actually put up signs at the entrance to the range the same day. I told all people at the range of the encounter moments ago.

When I told the story to fish and game: (1) because I ran she charged_ Bullshit John. SHe dropped heading for me and I had no intention of taking on the bear in the open and I ran perpendiculer placing a screen of trees between her and I. ( 2) he tried again: She was after the dogs. John the wind was at her back and the grass was belly high on me and I was not walking horse dogs. (3) Well the bears are pre-conditioned Neal to the shooting and the man smell and are unafraid as they should be. Dang John you got it! He was interested why I did not shoot the bear at that range. First John I am lazy and did not want to go through the whole salvage thing and give you a hide to sell. Secondly those little babies would have died before anyone could do anything about it.

In summing up. Bears and man can co-exist as long as man wants to give the bears their rightful place and as long as the numbers aren't so great that force the bears into mans area. We have hundreds of salmon stream with millions of fish all over the island. Until the last few years bear problems or even sightings were rare.
There are way to many bears and out city limits haven't changed in years.

Something to think about
Good post and that pretty much sums it up for me as well.
We had someone hit and kill a fairly large brown bear last summer, right across the street from Worthington Ford, first time I have heard of such a thing in Anchorage.
Once bears learn that being around humans is hazardous to their health they might get the message. One thing I don't want to see is the bears disappearing from this area but their numbers do need to be controlled.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Heck , if residents would get a bear tag and just go kill the 1st easy brown bear they run into that is old enough and doesn,t have cubs instead of holding out for the TEN FOOTER , it would make things alot better . And they would realize it was a bunch of fun and they would gain skill in the taking of bears .... They may find they enjoyed the heck out of the whole process ... I really do feel sorry for non residents who want to hunt bear but can,t afford to ...... Just hunting them is fun ,killing them is even funner .....

Hmmmmmmmm

There are plenty of things I disagree with here.

Personally, I don't find the killing part of hunting the "fun" part. It's the actual hunting part that's fun. The older I get, the less it's about killing anything.

Yes, you could lower the population of bears if you simply went out and killed the first legal one you saw. I can't shoot one but every 4 years and I'm still holding out on a "worthy" bear.

I have no need for a bunch of 6 and 7 foot brown bear hides. Can't eat the meat, so killing for the blood sport just doesn't do it for me. Not going to spend $1,500 for a mini-rug. I just don't see the point. Guess you could obtain a lot of information about cartridges and bullet performance.

If I heard you correctly, you'd DLP a brown bear for playing with your crab bouy? I think you'd have a tuff time explaining that one to ADF&G. "The bear was destroying my irreplacable $5 crab bouy."

Beyond Fair Chase is a pretty good read. I've left it behind at a couple of USFS and State Parks cabins. For both hunters and "greenies" to reference.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. If you were hunting in the interior ,or Southeast for that matter for bull moose , would you shoot a 50 " 4 brow tine bull or would you hold out for a full 60 " moose ??. a 50 " moose is similar to an 8 ft bear .........I know several people with 7-8 ft rugs on their walls and they are beautiful trophies and they are very satisfied with their trophy bear ......... I would anyday rather kill a smaller bear charging than an 11 footer fleeing for it,s life from long distance .... Shooting a CHICKEN BEAR is about as invigorating as chopping off a chickens head with an ax ........... Only worth doing if it has a rug that I really want , as a rug ,to be walked on ..... A bear that shows some signs of life ,,now that bear would get a place on the wall or as a full size mount ....Alot of bears that get real big , get that way because they are chicken thumbdown.

PS , and no doubt if I wouldn,t have run off the little buddy bear it would have started thinking my fuel jugs .and fuel lines ,fishing rods ect were chew toys ...........
I guess some people just don,t like hunting bears ,I do . Some day if I keep up hunting bears ,which I plan to ,maybe I will have hunted bears as much as they have hunted me ...I know alot more bears have followed me , and put the sneak on me than I have them ...