Find
Notify
Tools

Polar Bears
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
..... There , now that I got your attention , any of you who have experience with them ...

How do they stalk their prey ? I know about the covering their nose with a paw , But , do they stalk from down wind , do they hunt by sight or by scent ..?? ....
Do they just see something they want and come get it , ?????? Thanks in advance for any experienced replies ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Not having direct experience, maybe a guess is out of line, but maybe not. Scent, sight, sound - ambush, stalk, opportunist - all seem probable to me. From what I've heard, you just can't trust those bastards to not use all their senses to get at ya.

Seems to me like there has to be some grant money out there for a scientific study on this. Or perhaps studies have already been done. coffee

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't they wait at the edge of the melting ice and wait for their unfortunate prey to scramble towards them as the ice melts under their feet??? rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
How do they stalk their prey ?

Now just why would you be more interested in that topic right now. Smiler

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BW:
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
How do they stalk their prey ?

Now just why would you be more interested in that topic right now. Smiler

Yesterday , Well night before last it was 15 deg. F .and snowing pretty good and blowing 20 with gusts to 30 .... and I get to stand around outside the wall waiting to hook up sand bags ....Had 2 red / cross foxes just appear out of no where , and they arn,t white .. This unarmed self bear baiting keeps the eyes on the job ....

Bluey , the only college educate I would purposely ask this question of would be someone like Jim Harrower DDS ...and other initials. and Master Guide ..... He got his experience in the pursuit of putting their blood on the ice , not writing a paper on them ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote