THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Unguided Kodiak Deer Hunting Questions?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unguided Kodiak Deer Hunting Questions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted
I am looking at putting together a deer hunt on Kodiak this Fall. Does anyone have any reccomendations on timing, general locations, or any other advice?

Thanks,
Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just don't plan on staying at a cabin if you are doing it yourself. Deer are smart and quickly learn to move away. That being said I would try to stay on the east sides of the bay's where the sunlight is better. If you want some fast action go there the last week of Oct when they are in full rut. Uyak Bay has always been good to me

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
both uyak and uganik bays are top shelf. good luck.

Cold Zero

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Earlier in the season the deer will be up high, so you'll have to work harder for them.

Later in the season the vegitation will be down, the snow will push the deer down, and the rut will be on. You'll also be able to take any sex. The downside is the weather can be really nasty and there is less daylight.

Boat based hunts have the advantage of covering more ground, and not having to worry about varmints taking your kill.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote