Find
Notify
Tools

Glacier bear hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
Does any outfitter specialize or have good success with blue bear hunting or are they just a special opportunity that comes along during black bear hunts?

What area would have the best chance of taking one?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best place for Glacier bear is around the Yakutat area but all along the Mainland coast there are a few . Haines and Juneau area have a few. glacier bear are a color faze of blacks and seem to hang out around the ice fields. don't know of any outfitters that target them have your black bear tag handy and hope for the best , very rare.
James Phillips Annahootz Alaskan Adventures annahootz.com

outfitter,southeast Alaska, brown bear, black bear ,mt goat

Posts: 66 | Location: southeast alaska | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Glacier Guides, Inc. Jim Rosenbruch http://www.glacierguidesinc.com/. I don't think they speciallize, but they hunt in the right area and take some from time to time. My impression is that the area they hunt is where most of them are taken in Alaska. However the majority of them are just over the border from this area and are protected in Canada by the government.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Glacier Bears are very rare, some have spent a lifetime hunting and may have only seen them once let alone harvest one. It's all pure luck, right place right tme, a glacier bear hide (color phased black bear)will fetch top dollar, only one man has ever harvested two and after the first one, it took another 25 years before he got another.......so Good Luck !!

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
Ken Fanning's guide partner Ron Warren out of Yakutat seems to have taken quite a few Blue Bear over the years.

If I were to start hunting for a Glacier Bear I would hunt with Ron.

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Although the blue color phase of black bear is a recessive gene they do have a much greater occurance near Yakatat.
I don't know if Gary Gray is still in business but that would be a good choice. At one time the Branhams had a camp on the east side of Yakatat bay. I think Mark Collins may have bought that camp from them but I'm not sure.

If you look at the maps of the Yakatat area you can see how rugged the terrain is and that the gene pool may well be totally isolated.

Even though the Yakatat area is known to have a greater occurance of the blue or glacier color phase I spent 54 days guideing in that area in 1979 and did'nt see one but the specific area I was in (near malaspina glacier) was'nt the best for black bears ether. There were lots of brown bear though.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yakatat is where Boddington Killed his Glacier Bear . I was in camp when he did it. He wrote an article Called Valley Of the Blue Bear.
He hunted With Jim Keline but he is out of Bussness = Sold out. In 1994 a Brown bear Hunt was $8000 if you saw a Glacier Bear and Killed it you were Done.I have Craigs article that he wrote. In my opion it's a crap shoot, and you spend alot of money for walking around.Now if you are Black Bear Hunting in that area and Take a Glacier Thats a Plus , even if you have to pay extra. At one time in Juneo Airport there was a Mounted Powder Blue Glacier Bear.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
alsek river lodge takes a few, at least they show more than most other guides...

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote