THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Polar bear / Brown bear cross = hybrid or not?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polar bear / Brown bear cross = hybrid or not?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I have heard that polar bears are spending more time ashore these days, and crossing with brown bears up north. I'm wondering if such a cross can reproduce or is a hybrid?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I've seen picture of them. Some guy shot one 2 or 3 years ago. I'm not sure if the offspring are furtile or not, but yes it happens.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My guess is that the cross would be viable but know of no data proving - or disproving - it.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Considering they have the same ancestor, it would be very hard for the two not to produce fertile crosses. As all polar bears originated in Siberia in a ice age locked group of brown bears.

It would very doubtful that the two have not crossed before the most recent and famous one was shot. Not a lot of people live in the areas where their ranges overlap. And since they are mostly Sammi and Eskimo it is doubtful they spend a lot of time talking about it with the rest of us.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This story just ran on, of all things, National Geographic Explorer. The hunter killed a hybrid in 2006 on the SW coast of Banks Island. He had one hell of time (1) not getting fined for killing a grizzly, and (2) getting to keep his trophy. DNA out of the biology lab in Br.Col.determined it was a cross from a male grizzly and a female polar bear. Jim finally got off the hook and got to keep his bear too. It looks like a slightly cream colored polar bear with two black eyes. Claws were short and black like a polar bear. It was only about 7 feet long. Reported as one shot off hand at 300 yards. Not bad shootin there Quigley.

NatGeo did a pretty good job of not persecuting the hunting fraternity on this one and concluded their hour long story with the conjecture that there are surely others out there on the ice. Speculation was that the grizzly crossed over to Victoria Island on the freeze up and wandered around looking fer whit womem! Wonder if the grizzly is still out there too?

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I saw a fox this morning that looked like a cross between an artic and a red fox ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's pretty well been an accepted fact that there has been a few grizzly sightings on the islands over the last 10 years and that they've adapted to hunting seals, etc. like their cousins. So a breeding was inevitable. ....Yes, there's most likely a few more moving around.

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zambeziman
posted Hide Post
April 2006, I hunted Polar Bear in the Northwest Territories, I was lucky to get a nice bear, as we moved off of the sea ice to hunt Musk ox we saw a Grizzly/Polar bear cross it was easy to see that this was a cross bear, after speaking with more of the locals they have seen a increase in these cross gender bears, which means there must be some breeding going on!

The village I hunted in classified this type of bear as a grizzly and not a polar this may end up becoming a loop hole in the system as far as importing goes! This may be as close as a hunter from the U.S. is concerned to get a polar bear although not a full 100% pure into the states.

Just a thought!

John

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
saw a tv show where some guy shot what looked like a polar(white fur) upon further exam the carcass was more like brown bear, anyway the canadians were prosecuting him. his permit wasnt for brown bear

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote