THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    .444 Mar. & .405Win. common for bears?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.444 Mar. & .405Win. common for bears?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted
I have a .444 Marlin and a Winchester 1895 in .405Win, and am in Australia and use them mostly on pigs, goats , 'roos etc, are these rifles common in Alaska or has bolt actions taken over from levers?

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Those rounds are not common - but Alaska does have it's share of rifle loonies so I am sure there are a few being used. The 405 (with stout bullets) is a fine round for most Alaskan game.
Lever rifles however are still commonly found though with the 45-70 Marlin being the most popular. I still use a Brwn 1886 45-70 and have been toying with one of the new 475 Turnbulls as well.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bolt actions are beginning to take over because of Ruger's M77 Hawkeye chambered in Ruger Compact Magnums and the .375 Ruger and .416 Ruger. The .444 suffers from handgun bullet design. The .405, well, it is a good cartridge.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sjm, I've been hunting up here for a long time and in my experience the 444 Marlin is somewhat popular up here but the 45/70 is VERY popular here in Alaska. I've never heard of anyone shooting the 405 Win up here but figure it would probably do the job. My hunting buddy packs a 450 Marlin guide gun on some of his hunts. I pack a 45/70 guide gun on my Argo when I'm joy riding the sloppy bush. As a side note I'd say the 338 Win Mag & 30:06 are probably the most common calibers up here in cold country altho not really lever calibers. If you're coming up here, I'd bring the 444 over the 405. The bigger the hole, the better in Alaska.

Posts: 467 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. The 444 is common enough that alot of places carried the standard Remington ammo , even alot of out of the way places ...... I don,t know if the 405 would knock down a bear as well as the 45/70 if used with equally quality bullets , but it might ... There were a number of 405s in Southeast ,but some of the owners didn,t reload and the rifles didn,t get used alot in recent times ......There were more 348 Winchester model 71s than 95s in 405 .......... I know a number of 444 users ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I think it will suprise a lot of folks to visit a typical Anchorage gunshop. As things like 8 bore Purdey double rifles, and custom 505 Gibbs are not uncommon. A bush Alaska gunshop can have some pretty exciting rifles as well.

Most places stock 17 remington, 222, 223, 30-06, 300 winchester, 338, 375, 458, 416 Remington and Rigby, and 45-70. Alaska Natives use alot of small calibers on everything but whales, and for whales they use big guns.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in my parts in the upper interior and all of the last 25yrs living here I have only seen 1 444 Marlin. It was used on a young bull moose, results were good. 2 45-70's in an around here within 80 miles.....work very good. Never ever seen a .405 Win. and I know alot the people in various Indian villages from Eagle down to the bridge and up the Chandalar to Arctic Village. The .270, .308 and .30-06 are quite common and some belted magnums here and there...used more specifically for the bears.
One lever action that is quite common and still in use by me and many others is the ever lowly .30-30.....put it in the hands of one who is skilled and it works well. I load for mine either hardcast or Partitions but most do with what they can get and in general the Core-lokts seem to be the norm.
On the Alaska Shooting forum there are many "rifle loonies" that participate in the Shooting forum who do have .405's and .444's and .45-70's that reside in the great State of Alaska. As D99 states the caliber of choice within this state is very diverse.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I have found there are differences in calibers for different parts of the state .... I havn,t found many 7mm STWs in Southeast , but around here it is somewhat popular ..Infact , there were 2 guys camping in 8 Fathom Bight for a spring bear hunt several years ago , I asked them what they were shooting and they said the 7 STW, I asked them if they were from the Interior and they said yes , Fairbanks ....... Tho the 30,s are common all over ... There are lots of deer hunters in S.E. who use 338s and up , where around here tho the 338 Win isn,t uncommon . It is no where as common as in the upper Southeast . Even Ketchikan and PoW have plenty ...The Guide Gun is very popular there but I only know one person who has one here .. I know girls who pack one around for almost half the year on Chichagof .........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote