New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT: Must see sites in Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
People, Please bear with me for being a little off topic. This summer I will make my first trip to Alaska. My 76 YO Dad and 10 YO Son and I are going to take a three generation mens trip to Alaska.

We are taking a Holland America Cruise / Bus / Train trip in Mid July with stops at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Seward, Anchoorage, Denali, and finishing in Fairbanks. While extra curricular time may be limited off the boat; I was wondering if you might have ideas with regards to must see spots, restaurants, outdoor sports stores, etc.

Thanks for your input in advance. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Hugh,

I went up to Alaska 2 years ago on the same cruise. Was unbelievable. Went on our honeymoon. Here are some trips to consider. We went whale watching in Juneau with Capt. Larry (orcaenterprises.com/). Was great. Didn't see any whales breach, but saw plenty and got very close and great pics. I think you are even guaranteed sightings - check the website.
We also took a helicopter ride and went up and landed on a glacier. Another trip well worth the $$. Went salmon fishing in Ketchican and Skagway but didn't do very good. Oh.......i think this was in Juneau also. We took a tram up to the top of the mtn. and saw a show put on by a native speaker. Vey interesting.
One thing about booking some of these side trips. If you book a side trip through the cruise line and anything happens(late, etc.). They will wait for you. If you book it on your own and something happens they won't. But......you always have plenty of time. We had no problems on our trips and i don't think we booked 1 through the cruise line.
Have fun. You'll have a blast.
The wife just brought the cruise up a few daysa go and said she would go back in a heartbeat. I've been up there 7 or 8 times and it's never the same.
Have a great trip.

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you visit Fairbanks, the UAF Museum is interesting. Lots of folks enjoy riding the Riverboat Discovery. Ah, and have some fried halibut at the Pioneers park (former Alaskaland).

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh,

While in Anchorage I enjoyed visting the Alaskan Fur Exchange - some neat stuff in there not your normal nic nac shack, but native art, furs, ect. Barney's Sport Chalet - some serious gear. Lake Hood - flight seeing. I seem to vist Great Northern Guns also.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
On the way from Whittier to Anchorage, take a detour to Girdwood. Drive up to the Prince hotel, take the tram up top to the Seven Glaciers restaurant. A beer for the men and a soda for the son while up there and walk around.

If your dad can make the hike, from the hotel, take the Winner Creek trail to the gorge, or even to the headwaters. Very nice (though can be muddy in spots) and not strenuous. Beautiful easy hike.

Closer to Anchorage, but still on the Seward Highway is a little community "Indian". Drive up the road to Indian Valley Meats. Some delicious samples can be bought there. Great good stuff.

While in Fairbanks, if you rent a car with any type of ground clearance, drive out to Murphy Dome. Beautiful views if the fires aren't burning this year...

In Anchorage, stop by the Millenium Hotel at Lake Hood for lunch or appetizers. They have an interesting lobby and Lake Hood is the busiest floatplane strip on the planet. A tour of the museum downtown is interesting if you want to see what happened during the '64 earthquake.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup! If ya getta chance, see the U.A.F. museum. Personally, I think the river boat Discovery is a bit tacky & the Ak. Salmon Bake at what used to be Alaskaland is over priced for what you get but that's me since I live here.
Instead of the Salmon Bake, I'd go to the Turtle Club out in Fox if I got the chance. The Turtle Club has the best prime rib you ever tasted & it's second only to my "honey's" (she does it better). BTW, Fox is only about 11 miles N. of Fbks on the 4 lane. If ya got transportation, it's easy to find. Also, there's a viewing area for the pipeline right along the road as you're going to Fox.
My brother is coming for a short visit in May & I'm not gonna take him on the river boat or to the Salmon Bake. Just my opinions but I've been here for nearly 40 years so what do I know? Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh W ----- When in Anchorage you should visit the Millanium Hotel near the Airport for lunch or Dinner. Lots of good heads and atmosphere throughout. The restaurant faces Lake Hood, the seaplane airport, you can dine on excellent fare, be sure to order the Halibut Bites all around, then decide what you want to eat. ----- Another must see is Danali Park. Be sure to take the longest bus ride into the park, either the 11 hour ride or the one that goes all the way to Kantishna, which is the end of the road. Those bus rides will provide you the opportunity to see all the animals Danali has to offer. Be sure to get to the bus depot very early so that you will be first in line, therefore you can get on the front seat on the right side of the bus and have first crack at pictures without anyone in front of you, this will be very important before the day is over. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks for the ideas. I appreicate your suggestions. Hopefully I will get some pics worthy of posting. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Not o/t this isn't strictly a hunting forum.

Can't add much to what's been suggested, bring plenty of film or memory cards and batteries, mid July also requires some bug dope.

In Anchorage you might want to visit Great Northern Guns, the guys behind the counter are kinda pricks, but they have a some nice bolt guns and doubles. There is also a small antique store in dowtown I think it's 4th and L (near Captain Cook Hotel) that has some interesting rifles and shotguns in the back.

For good pizza and great beer, Mooses Tooth in Anchorage. For a nice meal, Orso's. Simon & Seaforts has great views, but IMHO their food has gone downhill in the past few years. Expect slow service at any resteraunt in Alaska. I have no clew why, but every restaraunt is either slow, or really slow, even if they are nearly empty.

We took the bus ride into Denali last fall, it's a long bumpy ride but definately worth the trip. Odds are McKinley will be shrouded in clouds, but you should see dall sheep, moose, maybe caribou and maybe wolves.

Sounds like a great trip, I know you'll enjoy it!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you locals post a list of dates for those great gun shows up there for the guy too.

From what other's have told me, they are some of the best ever put together.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Alaska Bush Company

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just pay attention to where you are during your trip. It will be all so attractive as to run together in your mind. I don't know if it is worth even taking a camera. I worked on a purse seiner approx 15 years ago in south east one summer and still think about hawk inlet once a week. Enjoy yourself. Don't let everyone tell you what is supposed to be pretty. have fun.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A day float trip on the Kenai River is very pretty....the train from Seward to Anchorage is one of the best views in the train system. It can be booked thru the Alaska RR. Drive up to the Eagle River Nature Center and look around...it's cheap and very pretty. Listen to Paul H...He's telling you about favorite places most locals won't mention!

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote