Notify
Tools

.264 Win Mag for Mountain Goat?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
its not bad to shoot larry, folks have alot of preconcieved notions about light weight bigger bores. this is my secdond sub 6.5lb 416 and i'll never go back to a normal (7.5+lb) rifle if i can help it!

I hear you. Proper fit and stock means everything. I have a 416 Rem mag which is a delight to shoot. Rugers have always pounded me for some reason.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
264 Win Mag will kill a Goat DEAD!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is all about bullet placement. Break the shoulder down and through the heart...then pray the goat does not take a step.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Agree with the others. Your 264 with a good controlled expansion bullet will work fine. Your 9.3x62 might not offer a flat enough trajectory for the job.

Mark

Mark surely knows better than I, but Harry McGowan, who made up a couple of LH rifles for me, talked me into doing a sheep rifle in 6.5-06 because I reload and the shells are cheap.

Of course, in the 90's Model 70 LH Classics became available in .264 Win Mag, but by then I was living in Japan and for quite some time did not even know about that option. Smiler

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
its not bad to shoot larry, folks have alot of preconcieved notions about light weight bigger bores. this is my secdond sub 6.5lb 416 and i'll never go back to a normal (7.5+lb) rifle if i can help it!

I hear you. Proper fit and stock means everything. I have a 416 Rem mag which is a delight to shoot. Rugers have always pounded me for some reason.

Me too. I have sold my Ruger 77s and only have one Model 1 in .458 Wi Mag left. That Tropical model is heavy enough to me manageable for me, though I will likely never hunt with it.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had a client this fall with a heavy 416 rigby, missed a chance on a really nice brown bear because he couldn't find it in the scope without shooting sticks...thats to heavy of a rifle.
my 416 ruger has a custom stock on it.
as for this thread, i've had clients shoot goats with 270's and it was unimpressive. a 264 i would say yes, it'll kill a goat. no its not what i'd recommend.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As nearly stated, it's not so much the rifle, but the bullet. I would take the 125gr Partition from the 264 or 6.5-06 over any weight cup and core 30 cal from any case. The 140 Partition would be my second choice. I love most of the Barnes T/TSX bullets, but don't like any of their 6.5 options. My third choice would be the 130 grain Swift Scirocco. Those three bullets give perfect expansion, great penetration, and generally very good accuracy.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Put your bullet in the right place, and your .264 WM will have no trouble killing a goat.

I shot my mountain goat with my .30 Gibbs and a 180 gr Partition.

One of my friends killed his goat in the same unit as mine, with his .270 Win.

Another friend and his son killed three goats, also in that same unit, with their .22-250s.

All five of those goats were one shot DRT kills.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love most of the Barnes T/TSX bullets, but don't like any of their 6.5 options.

+2. While I haven't got an issue with their weights, I find that their BC values are pretty low, which doesn't lend themselves to being a good long range bullet IMHO.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
I guide mountain goat as the core animal of my outfitting business, and I would strongly encourage clients not to overthink, or overgun mountain goat. I'm a "more than enough gun" advocate except when it comes to goats, as that means weight. .270 does an exceptional killing mountain goats, I can assure you, .264 would be just as good and even potentially a touch better.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 264WM has been my go-to antelope gun for many years. I am using the Nosler custom ammo with accubonds these days.
What I really like about the 264WM is the high retained energy on out at 500 yds vs the others.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Or you could buy the newest Weatherby, just announced at the SHOT Show, the 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum, pushing a 127-grain bullet at 3500. Bet that'll be kind to barrels.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah..... I might be able to swing it. But when the Missus gets mad and I try to throw you under the bus for talkin me into buying it, and offering up the "but I,'ve got a LOT of 6.5 bullets to use up" excuse, pretty sure I,m the guy that's gonna get banished to the couch for a while...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
Soon as you start viewing barrels as a consumable all sorts of things become possible...

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
Soon as you start viewing barrels as a consumable all sorts of things become possible...

I think of my P dog gun barrels just as that.

They are made to be used and when one has thousands of targets available one shoots them.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:

I think of my P dog gun barrels just as that.

They are made to be used and when one has thousands of targets available one shoots them.

I tend to agree guys, thing is, a couple of barrel burners in the gun rack is not really a big deal. I can practice and burn up a ton of ammo in other rifles with milder cartridges that are not eating barrels. I don't need to burn barrels for practice.

With the throat eaters I work up a load and sight them in. Check zero occasionally and then they are just used for hunting. With hunting, it is rare that I need to fire a second shot and even if necessary, it is not going to have a meltdown from it. Easily will last my lifetime and even if I had to re-barrel at some point, that cost is nothing in the cavernous dark money pit that is big game hunting.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote