Notify
Tools

300 RUM or 416 rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alaska Hunter:
I'd trade them both in and get a 30-06. The 30-06 has most likely killed as many big bears as any cal.

Maybe I shouldn't kick the hornets nest ..
But , why not .

The 06 has most likley wounded and lost more bears than any other round also . Unless the 30/30 has that distinction . But my money is on the 06 .
The fact is that for a LONG time the 06 was the most powerful round commonly available ..
In the days of iron sights and butt plates.there were alot of bears around. Almost like there is today . Only back then alot of Alaskans viewed them as vermin .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This looks like a job for the 45-70... Of the 2 the RUM cuz all that has been said Prior.. Wet with more on it's way...

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the replies and keep them coming. I am taking the 300RUM. Based on the input from these post it has enough horsepower and it is an all weather rifle. I just could not picture myself in a canoe, pouring rain with a beautiful Rigby. I have been doing load work on the Barnes 200g LRX. 95 grains of Retumbo gets the velocity to 3250fps. The first group was 1.25". Need to play with OAL a bit to get the group size less than 1". After that some true velocity testing and get the scope to Leupold for a BDC dial. I will post some pics when it is all done.

chronic

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chronic:
Thanks everyone for all the replies and keep them coming. I am taking the 300RUM. Based on the input from these post it has enough horsepower and it is an all weather rifle. I just could not picture myself in a canoe, pouring rain with a beautiful Rigby. I have been doing load work on the Barnes 200g LRX. 95 grains of Retumbo gets the velocity to 3250fps. The first group was 1.25". Need to play with OAL a bit to get the group size less than 1". After that some true velocity testing and get the scope to Leupold for a BDC dial. I will post some pics when it is all done.

chronic

3250 fps! Good Lord! Take a picture of the bullet before you shoot as I don't think you'll retrieve it and see it again.

I'm sure you've been given at least the impression that your ranges might not be too darn far so minute accuracy and extra telescopic effort might not be required, not that I think you shouldn't bother if you want to.I've only shot one bear at longer range and if I had it to do over I wouldn't.

If you think to, bring a back up or second camera. I'm an amatuer canoeist myself and it seems like things tend to just get wet no matter the weather.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Photo as promised. This rifle started out as a Remington SPS SS 300 RUM. I had a 3 position safety put on. Also, added a HS Precision stock. The barrel and action have been coated flat black with "Diamond Coat". The scope is a Leupold VXL 4.5-14x50 with Custom BDC for below load.

My load is a Barnes TSX 180g at 3358fps, 98g of Retumbo. It will shoot half inch groups with this load and with some luck take a nice brown bear.

chronic

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle and good caliber choice. Couple of suggestions. Why not use a heavier bullet with the 300, yea the 180 will do the job but a 200-220g bullet will do it better. Why don't you make a scope change from the varmint or Marco Polo sheep scope you have on it to a 1.5x5, 1.75x6 or a 2.5x8 which is plenty of scope for the task at hand. If I remember correctly at 5power a scope makes an object at 300yds look like it's less than 63yds away from you.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot some 200g barnes bullets and the best energy numbers was less than I could get with 180.

Also, this RUM is a long range rifle, the scope is well suited for 100 - 700 yds. If I used it more for shorter range stuff your scope suggestion would be perfect.

thanks for the input and compliments.

chronic

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chronic:
I shot some 200g barnes bullets and the best energy numbers was less than I could get with 180.

Also, this RUM is a long range rifle, the scope is well suited for 100 - 700 yds. If I used it more for shorter range stuff your scope suggestion would be perfect.

thanks for the input and compliments.

chronic

Yea, with that scope you can hunt or snipe brown bear. Brown bear hunting is USUALLY not a long range engagement. Best thing is to ask your guide what they would recommend for their area. Have a great hunt.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take what you shoot well and the hell with the rest. Bullet placement is the most important consideration.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I agree. Bullet placement is everything. I take my 300RUM everywhere. It works at all distances and has sealed the deal from Alaska to Canada to Africa. I have confidence in it and think that makes all the difference. Good luck.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
It works at all distances

LittleJoe, any 300 including the 300RUM works extremely well for any Alaska game and it "works at all distances" BUT a variable scope with the lowest setting being 4.5 DOES NOT WORK WELL at all from point blank range to 75yds unless you want to count hairs on the side of brownies.