New
Find
Notify
Tools

AlaskanMaster guide confession
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve been guiding in Alaska for 20 years now. Half my life. Have ran my own guide business for 14 of those years. I do my best to be honest with people, fair with my clients and treat the wilderness and game with respect. I have turned guides in for violations that I have witnessed, and addressed others on issue that I felt were unethical. I am not perfect, I have made mistakes. I have had bad hunts, trips where everything goes wrong, personalities don’t mesh, Game isn’t anywhere to be found. I’ve had success, bears behind every tree, clients like best friends, everything I touch turns to gold. That’s the life of a guide, sometimes it’s cherries and sometimes it’s hog slop. I have battled my conscience over the years with the direction to take my business, places to invest my money and organizations to partner up with. Some turn my stomach and build my frustration, some I am indifferent to. But a few I have not been able to avoid and have tossed my hat in with them in the hopes of bettering my business with a business relation ship with them. But in as much as I have tried to remain neutral, I have fallen short. It is with much sadness and embarrassment that I break it here in these forums first, as I’m sure word will get out at some point and it is best that I admit to it now and not face scrutiny behind my back. I wanted to let everyone know that today I broke down and crossed a line that I myself have picking on people for, ridiculed clients choices and pokes fun at friends for.

I ordered a Kuiu product.

There I said it. It’s out. The weight on my shoulders is lifted and my spirit free with confession. Don’t think less of me. I did get them in a solid color so I can scribble out the logo with a sharpie though. I want to thank everyone for their support and encouragement thru this process, it was a struggle for me.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Jake,

Your bravery and honesty "coming out" with this purchase is an inspiration. You are not alone, others have done the same and can sometimes hold their heads high.

Some may ridicule you, but most will still hold you in the highest esteem.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this process.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you think it's time for me to turn in my Woolrich Hunting suit?? Have had it Since 1969
It's still in excellent condition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can not believe it! Not you Jake. Now you've going to have to take back all those nasty comments when I wanted to get KUIU in my pics..ha. What did you buy...guide jacket?

Posts: 36 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought gaiters. I figure I’ll only wear them in tall grass so no one sees them.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Turn in your secret decoder ring and go sit in an alder patch until you realize the errors of your ways !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shame is surprising, I’ve bought lots of gear. Never felt guilt when buying Coleman or even cabelas stuff. Crap even had an REI tent once, but man this purchase makes me wanna hide in that alder patch. Don’t tell any of the fellowship of the rings phil!! Please!! Last thing I need is lance kronberger sending me e-invitations to his Christmas party!!

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, Cole will still like you !

Funny thing is that at the last APHA dinner my wife won a COMPLETE outfit from Sitka !
I can't even see her now most of the time .

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ordered a Kuiu product.

Hmmm I supposed your picture in their catalog is next?
animal

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We need pictures of you in the alders with your new gaiters.

Your legs with the gaiters would be just fine no need to show your face.

To avoid the shame of it all.

rotflmo

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
next thing you know will be seeing you on the political forum

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny thing is that at the last APHA dinner my wife won a COMPLETE outfit from Sitka !

Phil, I didn't know they made them in kid's sizes! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

He didn’t say they fit.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I dunno man, I think if I was you I would’ve fessed up to wearing the Danskin yoga pants under your rain gear before fessing up to the Kuiu stuff.
Just sayn

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
I dunno man, I think if I was you I would’ve fessed up to wearing the Danskin yoga pants under your rain gear before fessing up to the Kuiu stuff.
Just sayn

That was only one time!!!!

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
The shame is surprising, I’ve bought lots of gear. Never felt guilt when buying Coleman or even cabelas stuff. Crap even had an REI tent once, but man this purchase makes me wanna hide in that alder patch. Don’t tell any of the fellowship of the rings phil!! Please!! Last thing I need is lance kronberger sending me e-invitations to his Christmas party!!

Just don't wear the gaiters to Walmart and you'll be fine.

The other trick I have used is leave the Sheep blood on the Kuiu. No one will say a word then.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

They must as the women's small gloves were way too small

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll at least say it’s sheep blood!!

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I find your post elitist, condescending and down right snobby.
You tell us and the world you buy and can fit into Kuiu.
I read an article in a magazine about the proprietor and he mentioned that he only makes gear for athletically built folks. Fatties need not apply.
"Rules me out." I thought to myself.
Thanks Jake for letting us all know you're athletically built and reminding me I ain't.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I read the beginning, I thought it would be bad.

But not that bad!

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while your in those Alders can you at least strip the bark off some wood for the smoker.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Could be worse, Jake. You could be wearing something branded by "The Bone Collector" or "The Crush".

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
I find your post elitist, condescending and down right snobby.
You tell us and the world you buy and can fit into Kuiu.
I read an article in a magazine about the proprietor and he mentioned that he only makes gear for athletically built folks. Fatties need not apply.
"Rules me out." I thought to myself.
Thanks Jake for letting us all know you're athletically built and reminding me I ain't.

And arms like a Gibbon. Everything they make is 4 inches too long for my arms. Still, great gear.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of this brand, so I checked out the website. Not for me as looks like nothing in my chest size. 49" is largest. I guess they are interested in runners not weightlifters or football linemen.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
It took me a while but I broke down and bought some and I love it. The layering system works great, the rain gear is excellent. It's all very light and you can stuff them in small pockets of your pack. I prefer the slimmer athletic fit as well.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
It took me a while but I broke down and bought some and I love it. The layering system works great, the rain gear is excellent. It's all very light and you can stuff them in small pockets of your pack. I prefer the slimmer athletic fit as well.

Prefer it is neato.
Just can't do it is another story.
Big Grin

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was afraid to book a hunt with Jake, because I have mostly their stuff. Now, I think the door is open ...

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
refreshing post, and I have no clue about the product being described, nor the need in my old age, wood, wool and leather still work for me and yes I like down jackets and vests, and yes I know down doesn't work well when wet, but my solution to that is don't get it wet!! if you do build a fire.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:
refreshing post, and I have no clue about the product being described, nor the need in my old age, wood, wool and leather still work for me and yes I like down jackets and vests, and yes I know down doesn't work well when wet, but my solution to that is don't get it wet!! if you do build a fire.

Down is part of the Layering System now. It is called Puffy. LOL I have always used it.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote