New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brooks Range in late August
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw an ad for a discounted grizzly hunt on the north slope of the Brooks Range in late August. Before I talk to the outfitter I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the hides should be like that time of the year? Is it too early in the fall to hunt? Also, what would the weather be like? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say the hides should be pretty good in Aug. I hunt sheep on the north side and have hunted & asst. guided on the south side. I general, I'd plan to be out of the Brooks on Labor Day. In fact since Labor Day is the 7th this year, in general, I'd try to be out by about the 5th. Weather can change in minutes on the slope & it can get quite cold w/ snow.
I know I'd go for it, just be prepared.
I'd say that later in Aug. might be better but talk to your guide.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I spent a couple of years working up there but that was over 20 years ago now.
We would go up the first part of Aug and come back in time to make the (at that time) Sept 10 moose season in 9&17.
It was allways very nice when we went up and by sept pritty cold. Had a big dump of snow on Aug 20th one year that would have put an end to the hunting but we were allready done. That was an unusuall snow and I heard later that it wormed up and melted after we beat down the strip and got out of there.
I would vote you consider going it is a truely fantasic place and I would love to get back there some day.
I was in ANWR on the Hulahula. What part of the Brooks is this hunt offered in?

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure yet of the exact area. I wanted to get some information from the forum before I called and talked to the outfitter. I'll check tomorrow. I've always wanted to hunt in the Brooks Range. I can't explain it, but I've always been fascinated by it for some reason. This will be my 50th birthday present to myself (if I go). I hate to spend the money, but I know that I'll never get a hunt cheaper.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I spent 10 days in late August/early September about 5 miles south of the divide last year. Each of the four bears (a mother with two cubs and a youngish male) we saw had beautiful coats on them.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRL:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure yet of the exact area. I wanted to get some information from the forum before I called and talked to the outfitter. I'll check tomorrow. I've always wanted to hunt in the Brooks Range. I can't explain it, but I've always been fascinated by it for some reason. This will be my 50th birthday present to myself (if I go). I hate to spend the money, but I know that I'll never get a hunt cheaper.

If you get the chance, you better go. If you don't, you're gonna regret it sometime in the future. Maybe not right away but sometime. I just love the Brooks and would spend all of June, July & Aug. there if I could.
Going back to the weather. One year the guide I used to occasionally help out who was located on the south side got frozen in early. He had clients and the lake froze over just enough that the float plane couldn't land. The clients (all dr's.) started complaining and their wives (at home in the Lower-48), began complianing. The Dr's. just HAD to get out. The wives wanted helicopters to go get their husbands. Everybody in camp was fine - plenty of firewood & food but these clowns HAD to get out. The state said "no way to helicopters". To make a long story short, the governor sidestepped F&G and allowed these guys to be helicoptered out WITHOUT any of their gear. They had to pay for the ride and the old man sent their gear & trophies to them after he came out. BTW, they weren't charged for any of this extra time and were allowed to hunt caribou on their own as I recall.
This is just an example of what can occur with the admonishment to be prepared. You'll do fine with your guide. Go for it. Bear in Fairbanks

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. Getting caught in the Brooks Range without a way to get out is a little scary. What's the realistic chances that would happen? A couple of days wouldn't be that bad, but a week or two would be a real issue, and I might not come back to a job.

If I go, I was going on August 15, the day before the fall season opens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there last August. I would LOVE to go back. One of the most beautiful places I have been. The weather: we got temps of 70 and woke up some mornings with ice on the tent.

I am no judge of bear coats, but I liked the one I shot!

Hope that helps.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Storm, that's a beautiful bear! I love the two-tone fur of interior/northern bears.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Storm:

Thanks. That is a really beautiful bear. I'd love to see one like that. How many bears did you see on your trip?

Thanks for the feedback.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Storm:

Thanks. That is a really beautiful bear. I'd love to see one like that. How many bears did you see on your trip?

Thanks for the feedback.

Only saw three, but don't let that discourage you, I was really on a sheep on and the bear was an added bonus. Can take a look at my trip report here:
http://forums.accuratereloadin.../8521043/m/744106719

If you need a bag carrier let me know, I'm young, in shape and ready to help!

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Storm:

Thanks again. That helps a lot with the terrain. What's the one thing you learned from this trip that I should know?

Thanks for your helpl.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Akshooter, I too spent some time up on the Hulahula hunting sheep with Zeke Schetzel. I was there 8/8/2000-8/17/2000 and 8/17/2001-8/25/2001. The first hunt we had light snow in afternoon of the second day which drove us off the mountain. About midway through the hunt we had a hard blow with light snow which kept us in tent all day. The second hunt was incredible, warm, blue bird weather the whole time. But, the last day fog moved in and we could not get back to Deadhorse so we had to charter by Beaver to Arctic Village, then by six seat Cessna to Fairbanks and from Fairbanks to Anchorage on United Air- with attendant charter costs. The Brooks is really a wild place; I urge TRL to get up there; he won't regret it; its magnificent! There were lots of grizz up there where I was. The most gorgeous bear I ever saw was up there on my second trip in one of the drainages feeding into the west side of the Hulahula. It was a fully mature boar, strawberry blonde in color with dark stocking feet. I did not have a bear license; it would have made a beautiful rug. One of our hunters took a gizz on his last day- after having taken a ram and a wolf.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
My son shot this on the north side of the Brooks on Aug 15th last year.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Olguy
I hunted the Hulahula in 86 & 87. I worked with a Guide named Buster Wassom.
On our way up in 87 Buster crashed in atigan pass. I came through there the next day and saw his cub pancaked in the pass. I got a ride from chandalar shelff to the crash site. By then the troopers had already been there and extracted Busters remains. I did find an intact bottle of his wiskey in the plane and later his frinds and I drank a toast to him from that bottle. Busters demise put an end to my Brooks range expiriance.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Storm:

Thanks again. That helps a lot with the terrain. What's the one thing you learned from this trip that I should know?

Thanks for your helpl.

A few thoughts:

Be fit, you will probably be doing a lot of walking.

Have good binos, chances are you will be glassing a lot. I had 10 power, which I thought were great.

Take care of your feet, bring foot powder, good socks and make sure your boots are well broken in.

Have a good pack that is comfortable to carry.

Will try to think of a few more tips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aksheep hunter - Nice bear. I sure you are proud of that young man. How old is he?

Storm - Thanks. I've pushing 50, but I'm at the gym 4 nights a week. Lots of cardio stuff. I think I can do the walking and climbing. It the thoughts of a wet, cold hunt that I'm a little worried about. Alaska hasn't been good to me. I went on a mountain goat hunt a few years back and got to hunt a total of one and half days out of 7, the weather was so bad.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
TRL
No garenties anywhere in AK but If I were to pick a place that would have the best chance at good weather it would be the brooks in Aug.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
TRL, he just turned 12, will be 13 this Summer. as a matter of fact, we were there with "Storms GSP" we met him right before we left, we had a great hunt, i'm going back next year, because this year I'm doing the Alaska Range.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Prepare for some cold, snowy weather but don't be suprised if it's mild and wonderful. It is a great place.
who is the outfitter?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I also highly recommend going on that hunt. I've been to the Brooks about 6-7 times and have always enjoyed myself. There's some beautiful grizzlies to be had up there and the chance at a nice caribou is good too.

The Brooks is one of my most favorite places in Alaska to hunt and Iplan on going back there soon.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aksheephunter:
I'm sure your son will remember that hunt as long as he lives. I can still remember my father and I on our first whitetail hunt in western Pennsylvania. It was almost 38 years ago, but it seems like yesterday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M70Nut:

Thanks. I'm waiting to hear from my boss to make sure I can take off work. If that works out, I think I'm going.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like I'm going to take the hunt. The outfitters name is Phil Byrd. The company is called Arctic North Guides. Has anyone used them? I need to send in the deposit soon, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of them but after looking at their website, they seem legit. I'd contact them and get some references and go from there. If I may ask, how much of a discount are you getting on this hunt? I see this hunt runs about $12,500.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M70Nut

The cost is $7K. That includes the bush flight in, and a caribou. I'm using a booking agent. He says this is as good as it gets in the Brooks. I really hate to part with the money, given how bad the economy is, but this seems like too good of a deal to turn down. I hope I don't regret it.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you & congrats. I know nothing about the outfit either but I'd agree that's a good price, especially if the bush plane & a caribou are thrown in. Just from the price, I'd guess they do their own bush flying.
Keep us posted when you get back & enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear:

Thanks. Yes, they do their own flying, so that's a real advantage if the weather gets bad. They will have at least one plane in camp at all time.

This is Dennis Reiner's old area. He sold it a few years back, but the new guy kept all of his guides.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
That is a good deal, i'd say you done good but the end of hunt report will tell the whole story and I hope it is a happy one for you! Good luck!!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ask if the outfitter has an exclusive Federal USFWS concession or does he hunt the open state lands where ever licensed guide in the state is free to take as many hunters as they want?
That most certainly will affect the overall quality ( or at least success rate) of your hunt.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
458Win:

Thanks. I'm not sure if he has exclusive rights or not. The booking agent has booked this hunt for 20+ years, with really good success. We'll see what happens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great deal, you are smart to take advantage of it. 458 win's advice is good.

File a hunt report when you get back. Be safe.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero:

Thanks. I had no intention of going hunting this year, but this is too good an opportunity to pass up. I hope the weather cooperates.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I think you'll be ok in late August though I have seen snow in mid August before. Bring good rain gear and a great attitude and you'll have an awesome hunt.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very few guides have exclusive areas. Most of the rams you see coming out of the Brooks come from the open areas. Some guys that have exclusive areas like to tout that fact like it is a guarantee. It is not. If the guide is willing to work, then the open areas are fine. If a guide is lazy, even an exclusive use permit will not produce rams.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
llamapacker:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to hunt grizzly's. Any info on them in the Brooks would be appreciated.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
TRL,

I have seen grizzly's every time I have hunted the brooks (3 times). I was always sheep hunting, and the bear was secondary or not part of the plan at all. Some areas have very restrictive quotas, etc., and many guides reserve these as an add on for their sheep clients. This is far from a universal statement, however.

I never really researched guides just for a grizzly hunt in the brooks. I've seen some great bears there, but also lots of empty country without a bear in sight. They are not behind every bush.

Good luck on your hunt.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I know grizzly hunting is never easy. I leave on August 16. It's coming up fast !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back on Saturday. What an adventure!
I did manage to get a grizzly on the 8th day of the 10 day hunt. It wasn't a huge bear, but I was really happy with it. It's a light blonde color and the fur is incredible.

Thanks to everyone for the information and advise. It was very helpful.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got back on Saturday. What an adventure!
I did manage to get a grizzly on the 8th day of the 10 day hunt. It wasn't a huge bear, but I was really happy with it. It's a light blonde color and the fur is incredible.

Thanks to everyone for the information and advise. It was very helpful.

Congrats! Now get cracking on the write-up and posting pics! Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote