New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fall Moose Hunt insurance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 10 day moose hunt scheduled for this September in Alaska. I've paid for half of it and booked my plane tickets - the rest of the hunt is due before the hunt.

What is the best type of insurance to get for a hunt like this? I've never booked a hunt this expensive or remote. I always read good things about Global Rescue - is that who I should look into?

Is there a one size fits all type insurance package that covers the travel aspects plus medical emergencies or do I need to look into multiple types of coverage?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Posts: 34 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things like GR are evacuation insurance.

Trip insurance is a different deal.

Before you buy trip insurance make sure you read the exclusions and exemptions in the policy.

Personally, I find the trip insurance policies almost useless, and don’t buy them.. it also may well be too late to buy them- generally you need to buy them when you pay for the trip.

But evacuation insurance is a necessary thing.

Posts: 10629 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CR is correct. Just on the losing end of "negotiations" with a highly regarded carrier. Just garbage. They are using "act of God" now for Covid.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a guy my clients use but not pandemic and virus are no longer covered.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Told the story before but because the question has risen again, here goes, but shortened.

Buffalo hunt booked for my son and I, for July 2019. Son got sick 3 days before departure and had to cancel. Had a RipCord policy in place. They denied my son's claim (airfare was the only thing claimed as I went ahead with the trip and shot his allotted quota)saying he had a pre-existing condition. He had gone to a physician 18 months prior to purchasing the airfare for the condition and was taking medication. I explained when we bought the policy that we were buying it in case his condition re-appeared. Was assured due to the length of time involved (18 months), the policy would apply.

They denied the claim.

I'll now deny any future business to RipCord going forward.

It's a Scam!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Sounds like it might make sense to just get evacuation insurance.

Posts: 34 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cutman:
Thanks. Sounds like it might make sense to just get evacuation insurance.

I think that is a smart move. Insurance tends to be a money losing deal. I can't see paying the primum on anything unless it is required, or if the loss would ruin me.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Travel Guard has 32 pages of exclusions. You don't know this until after the policy is purchased.

I've never used insurance for my trips. The money saved now puts me far ahead of the game.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Total rip off. I never even buy extended warranties....

Evac insurance is possibly useful but you will have he’ll getting them to pay for your way back to the USA as health care in RSA is pretty good.

Posts: 10167 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed on the ripoff. But what about outfitters, agents and destinations that are STILL suggesting we buy! Something seems off about that.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One time in Burkina all hunting stopped for a day as there was some incident with a forest guard and poachers. My client claimed the one hunting day he lost and was paid by Ripcord.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2538 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I don't agree about the insurance being a ripoff. One of my clients was run over by a buffalo about 5 years back. Once Travel Guard got what they needed they handled everything and paid for everything from the bush to hospital in RSA and airfare home for my client and his wife. Both my client and his wife were more than happy with the service they rec'd. I think it is irresponsible to leave the States without travel insurance. I buy it myself. Popular hunting destinations like Zimbabwe and Namibia require hunters to have extraction insurance if they are going to hunt in their countries.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote