THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Browns in GMU 13, blacks near Seward?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Browns in GMU 13, blacks near Seward?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
Electronic game callers may be illegal, you'll need to check to regs.

You can't use electrically enhanced scopes, either night vision or lighted reticles, nor electronic communications. I don't know if the regs are written broadly enough to also eliminate the use of electronic callers.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, lots of good info.

Looks like the average hunt was 3.8 days, so I think we will plan on bout 5 days just to make sure.

Are predator calls a viable option for hunting these little things? Seems like as long as the speaker is about 100 yards away there shouldn't be a problem, I would love to get a wolf too while I'm there.

Thanks again.

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Electronic game callers may be illegal, you'll need to check to regs.

I know a few people are using electronic callers in AK from my lurking around in the Predator Masters forums. I also see them being sold in several sporting goods stores and gunshops I frequent in Fairbanks and Anchorage. A quick check of the game regs online didn't indicate that electronic callers were illegal, but a call to ADF&G couldn't hurt though.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul, I'll look real close tonight.

It might be a volunteer with hand calls 100 yards out just to make me comfortable

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shane
If you want to mount or rug a brown bear, mid August is way too early. Brown bears shot in august usually look like they have mange. I would tell you to plan a Brown bear hunt in late Sept. or Oct. It also sound like you are planning to squeeze in too many things.

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just spent about an hour looking for any regulations on them, I will have to call after the holiday.

I'm pretty accostumed to calling coyotes, but wolves has GOT to be a kick!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Electronic calls are legal in the state of Alaska. Lighted reticule scopes are also legal in Alaska. When you are hunting under a trapping license and using those regulations, the use of artificial light is also legal in Alaska. It is not legal to use an electronic call for moose. It is illegal to use laser sights or any other projection-sighting device

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35nut, you posted:

"It is not legal to use an electronic call for moose."

What statement in the regs refer to this?

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote