THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    AK Peninsula Brown Bear - Spring 2014

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK Peninsula Brown Bear - Spring 2014
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just returned from a simply amazing hunt on the Penninsula with Phil Shoemaker and Grizzly Skins of Alaska. Had one of the best weeks of my life. Booked this hunt a few years ago and it far exceeded my expectations.

Weather was unusually warm. A bit of wind some days, but other than that nothing but clear skies. Made for long sweaty days in chest waiders, but nothing a nice breeze while standing on a mountain top in just your underwear couldn't fix within a couple minutes.

Got my bear on the 2nd day after an awesome stalk. Can't say enough about my guide Wes. I hope to share camp with him again some day. We got to know each other pretty well after having to spend the night out in the bush, rolled up in the bear hide to keep warm. The trek back to camp took us all the next day, and we fought for every damn yard thru the alders and creeks. A hunt that I (and my feet) will definitely never forget. I'll also never forget seeing Rocky run out to meet us with a couple cold beers. Damn near brings a tear to my eye thinking about it Smiler

I'll definitely be back to visit the Shoemakers. They make you feel like family and run a great operation.

I'm keeping it short and sweet. This is one of those hunts that words and photos don't really do it justice at all, so I really won't even try. Hope you enjoy the photos. I'll post a video when I'm done editing.

Special thanks to Phil, Rocky, Tia, Taj, Wes, and all the other guides and packers. Hope to see you guys again soon.

My bear ended up being a true 9'7" bear (no stretching or creative measuring) and skull is 27 9/16
Very nice hide, just some rubbing on his inner thighs.

5 stars across the board for the Shoemakers and this hunt overall.

Here is the video

https://vimeo.com/95915335

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Man thats awesome !!! Congrats on a great Bear...looks like the weather cooperated too, of course the whole state is experiencing good weather right now. thanks for sharing ...

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love hunting the Alaska Peninsula. Congratulations on an outstanding trophy!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Great big bear congrats!
I returned yesterday from kodiak island with nothing but a bad sunburn.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bear!!! Ill be going there with the Shoemakers the fall of 2015 for bear myself. Looking forward to that trip! Yep, wonderful group of people that put it all into the hunts to get your animal.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures.
Dandy bear, good to see you holding the paw so we could get an idea just how big it really is.
No way to tell with you hiding down low so far behind and with the camera at his nose. Distorts things that way.
Otherwise, great pics and photography.
Thanks for sharing.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! Great bear and sounds like a great trip. I was fortunate to get a brownie on Kodiak this year. Hunting the big bears is truly one of the worlds greatest hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Beautiful pictures.
Dandy bear, good to see you holding the paw so we could get an idea just how big it really is.
No way to tell with you hiding down low so far behind and with the camera at his nose. Distorts things that way.
Otherwise, great pics and photography.
Thanks for sharing.
George

yeah, I have yet to see a bear photo with the guy up in front of the bear. actually I'm only about half way back on his body vs standing all the way behind the bear like most photos.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Nice job!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is the traditional way to photograph a hunter and his brownie. I have one of myself around here somewhere. Yes, it distorts things but as the OP said, 90% of dead bear photos are done this way. Can't buck tradition!

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bobby,

Nice bear! I had no problem figuring out it was a big bear just looking at it's head.

Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What an incredible experience! Congrats on a great hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a successful hunt!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bear!!..Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. I just added the video. It runs about 10 minutes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT Video!!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
That video is awesome. Loved it!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am bow hunting Ak for browns in May of 2015. Your story and pictures gets me very excited.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JustOneMoreShot
posted Hide Post
Great video and great bear! Congrats.

Posts: 54 | Location: GA USA | Registered: 16 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Just had a chance to watch your video....Its outstanding!
once again,Congratulations on your Bear.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bear and hunt!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bear/pics/video. Excellent results.

Posts: 26 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Great post Bobby, thanks for sharing the pics and vids and congrats on the buster bruin!

Rocky told us about the incredible slog you two had to get out of the First Creek valley and we're all glad you made it back to the 40 !!!! Gotta love those alders!?

Luie and I moved on the 17th to the camp you were in and he got a nice boar the next day on the other side, up toward the head of Second Creek. Tia helped two hunters get their bears so far but Taj got called to do some flying so Wes hopped over in his camp. They've been seeing a lot of bears so it's just a matter of getting that little bit of luck needed to connect on the right one. This delightful spring weather sure was nice but we too saw a lot of bears cooling off in a stream or water hole and I can't say I blame them!

Congratulations and thanks for coming up and sharing a camp with us!

Mike (Asst. Guide)

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike! Good to hear that you and Louie connected. Was great meeting you and the rest of the crew. Hope to be back up there soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear and it looked like you had a great hunt. Congratulations!

Posts: 446 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
thanks guys. I just added the video. It runs about 10 minutes.

Great bear and I really enjoyed the video. Beats the hell out of about 90 percent of the 'hunting shows'.

You earned that great boar. Congrats!!

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

I'd say that counts as the true AK experience.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swenative
posted Hide Post
Nice, great video!
Thanks for sharing Smiler

Posts: 49 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Mike, you guys were due some nice weather after last fall.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What rifle, caliber and load did you use for your bear? Outstanding bear! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.375 RUM, 270 gr TSX, 105 gr H4831sc, 215m primer

right at 3000 fps with this load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic bear! One of the finest trophies to be had on the planet, not to mention the experience of a classic spot and stalk hunt. Very well done.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak highly enough about the Shoemakers.. And Mike (PWS here on forum..) as well.. I had a fantastic hunt fall 2013 and it was a true pleasure sharing camp with them.. I`ll be back... tu2 Smiler

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed it- congrats. NO doubt Phil and his crew are one of the best, if not the best outfit, in AK for bear and moose!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug
Make sure you take the good gun this time.
I seem to remember a video of a gun firing on the closing of the action.
Well you have plenty of time
Maybe you will try a Blaser!!!!
Oh well great bear also
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Bobby, Taj picked up mail yesterday and your photos arrived. Nate, Wes, Lauro and Taj are still here working on the foundations for a couple more quonset huts.and everyone in camp really enjoyed the DVD.

Johnnie, Hunter and I finally connected on a beautifully furred 9 foot boar the last day. It was not as large as the monster Hunter and Tia killed but was the bear he had been looking for for a rug mount.

Look forward to seeing you up here again soon.
We still have that cancellation opening for moose this coming Sept if you can make it.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DougMake sure you take the good gun this time.I seem to remember a video of a gun firing on the closing of the action.Well you have plenty of time Maybe you will try a Blaser!!!!Oh well great bear also. Larry

I took the factory set trigger out of it so there should be no issues with it at all now. I think it was just some dirt under the sear edge. Phil thought we had a machine gun down there. I figured the issue out after a couple and finished the job with no additional issues.
D

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal
Have another great hunt
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing...
Great Hunt
Great Pics
Gotta get there some day...

Posts: 1614 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustOneMoreShot:
Great video and great bear! Congrats.