New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sitka Blacktail-Kodiak
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend and I have decided to go after blacktail on Kodiak this September, we will be staying with a friend of mine on the island. My friend Ken is from Fairbanks and has hunted the island before so I imagine we will have most things covered, I am just looking for other tips etc.

Any advice?

Thanks

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Doug,
December is a much better month to hunt Sitka Blacktails.I`m from Kodiak,hunting Sitka`s is my passion.I killed 4 bucks last year that scored from 101" to 103" total,( it takes 108" to make B&C )While the deer are closer to the beach in December,they start to shed their antlers in mid Dec.The Brownies that the island is famous for are more likely to be hibernating in Dec. also.The weather in Dec can run from near 0 F. to the mid 30`s and rain.Are you going to stay in a cabin ? It`s a plus considering bear problems and the weather.I`ve spent over 10 years as a bushpilot on Kodiak and very familar with the movements of Blacktails and weather patterns.Muskegman that was a great picture ! Any of You out there,that have questions about hunting on Kodiak,Please feel free to e-mail me on the Forum or in private. I`m more than happy to share my experiences and tips with you.The picture next to my name shows the results of 2003 deer season on Kodiak.

Posts: 2 | Location: Kodiak,Alaska | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote