New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Weather in Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well as probably many Alaska hunters know this year thru out most of the state there was bad weather. Very high winds almost all month, many places experienced flooding. Even as far as I know one death due to high river conditions. This caused limited light plane flying and caused delays in the bush. I went to hunt moose on the 6th of September and left the 25th never could get to the spike camps I needed to be at. We could not fly to pick up the hunters already there or to get me to places I need to be. Some of the hunters that got to the camps weathered it out and many were successful.
I know this is not the problem of the outfitter he has no control over weather. How would you react to this scenario as a hunter and as an outfitter.
I tell you we did have a DVD but got tired of watching 5 western movies with John Wayne over and over. Also he just had Hughes net installed so we did have internet but no cell service.
As a hunter for 50 years I also weathered it out and made the best of the whole experience. I never acted mad at the outfitter just pitched in to do what ever we need to do to try to get by this situation.
I hunted with a great group of guys from all over the country.
But best of all with Alaska Trophy Hunts and Tom Shankster.
Tom did not have to do what he did but he re did my contract for a full hunt for 2013 no charge. That’s what you call stepping up to the plate.
I recommended Tom too many before and Biebs shot a nice Brown Bear with him. If you need a great outfitter his sheep hunting is the best in Alaska.
Well off to New Mexico Elk hunting next week. I have a 380 Bull waiting to meet my Knight 52.
Oh also just a note Biebs is there somewhere in Alaska also but no word yet he was to be home a week ago.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I picked up Biebs and put him on the plane home yesterday. He did not connect with the bull of his dreams but did have the pleasure of spending 16 days in a tent during the worst weather we have seen during moose season on the peninsula in over 30 years !

I will let him tell his story when he gets home.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
Well as probably many Alaska hunters know this year thru out most of the state there was bad weather. Very high winds almost all month, many places experienced flooding. Even as far as I know one death due to high river conditions. This caused limited light plane flying and caused delays in the bush. I went to hunt moose on the 6th of September and left the 25th never could get to the spike camps I needed to be at. We could not fly to pick up the hunters already there or to get me to places I need to be. Some of the hunters that got to the camps weathered it out and many were successful.
I know this is not the problem of the outfitter he has no control over weather. How would you react to this scenario as a hunter and as an outfitter.
I tell you we did have a DVD but got tired of watching 5 western movies with John Wayne over and over. Also he just had Hughes net installed so we did have internet but no cell service.
As a hunter for 50 years I also weathered it out and made the best of the whole experience. I never acted mad at the outfitter just pitched in to do what ever we need to do to try to get by this situation.
I hunted with a great group of guys from all over the country.
But best of all with Alaska Trophy Hunts and Tom Shankster.
Tom did not have to do what he did but he re did my contract for a full hunt for 2013 no charge. That’s what you call stepping up to the plate.
I recommended Tom too many before and Biebs shot a nice Brown Bear with him. If you need a great outfitter his sheep hunting is the best in Alaska.
Well off to New Mexico Elk hunting next week. I have a 380 Bull waiting to meet my Knight 52.
Oh also just a note Biebs is there somewhere in Alaska also but no word yet he was to be home a week ago.
Larry

Larry:

Thanks for posting; that speaks volumes about your outfitter.

Similar thing happened to me in 2007 in BC; waited five days to fly out to camp. tried several days only to turn around. Finally got out on the afternoon of the fifth day; next day we took a boat, an argo, and then walked about two miles thru some slop. Shot a really nice bull the next day two miles further from spike camp. But I can tell you the weather waiting was no fun...

I have a 370 bull lined up in AZ - season starts tomorrow and i am leaving in an hour.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote