New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 62 in Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone taken any kind of Alaskan game with this cartridge (or seen or heard of anyone doing it)? I am just curious. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my CZ 9.3 for a combo hunt last year we took moose and sheep with 286 gr.Barnes X...9.3 has proved it's worth for a century!

Posts: 47 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my moose last year with my custom 9.3 scout. SHot it at 275 yards with a 286gr nosler partition. Even with the 2.5x scope the shot was fairly easy. The 9.3 is an excellent all around alaskan caliber.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 rifleman:
Has anyone taken any kind of Alaskan game with this cartridge (or seen or heard of anyone doing it)? I am just curious. Thanks in advance.

I would imagine that not too many Alaskans use the 9.3 x 62, probably because of the popularity of other cartridges such as the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM. The .375 H&H is popular enough with bear hunters, and has been that way for many years, but even so it's not as popular as the .30's and .338's as all around Alaska cartridges.

There is ammo for the .30-06 through the .375 H&H in all the stores in town, so maybe that's what has made the difference.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In '02 I shot two caribou in Alaska with my 9.3 x 62 and 250 Barnes X bullets loaded at about 2600 FPS MV. Both animals dropped in thier tracks..

With RL 15 this load is scary accurate in my rifle and shoots flat enough for a 300 yard shot.

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a .35 Whelan Ack Imp in a 15" Encore and my friend uses your caliber in a rifle. Our ballistics are much the same. Everything hit goes down just like the other guys have said. Hammer time-

Great Cartridge

Neal

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I carried a 9.3x62 this spring using Nosler Custom ammo with 286 gr partitions @ 2350fps. My client hit a big boar too far back and one 9.3 partition thru both shoulder at 40 yards put him down to stay. It is a great round for virtually any and all Alaskan use.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I carried a 9.3x62 this spring using Nosler Custom ammo with 286 gr partitions @ 2350fps. My client hit a big boar too far back and one 9.3 partition thru both shoulder at 40 yards put him down to stay. It is a great round for virtually any and all Alaskan use.

Phil,

Please share w/ us some details about your 9.3x62 rifle.

Thanks,
G

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I just today submitted an article to Rifle magazine about this season's hunt with photos of my 9.3 as well. Actually a couple of months ago I didn't own one and now I have two. the one I use on the bear hunt was an old mannlicher stocked 30-06 Enfield that i just had re-bored to 9.3x62 and Lon Paul reshaped the stock and cheek piece, added two through bolts and straightened the original bolt handle. It weighs appz 7 1/2 pounds with a receiver sight and feed and operates very slick. the other 9.3 was another 30-06 pre-64 M-70 that Norm Johnson re-bored a stainless bbl and fit. it is now in the original stock but I'll probably order a McMillian/Echols one this summer. I'll probably do a piece on them when I get a chance this winter. I was impressed with the finality it handled the one bear i shot this spring. But then I knew it would having done it with the 9.5x62 (aka 375 Scovill)

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I'm looking forward to the article about the hunt. I hope you do the article about the rifles as well when you get time. I always enjoy your articles in Rifle and Handloader.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Actually the article is equally about the rifles and the hunt. There should be something for everybody. A push feed M-77 Ruger 338, a M-70 375 another M-70 416, an Empire 338-06 and a Dakota 375. Guides used a push feed M-70 458, a Ruger 375, a CZ 416, a stainless M-70 375 and my Enfield 9.3x62. The star of the hunt though was an original 1910 vintage Rigby 350 Magnum.
I never know if Scovill will run it in Rifle of Successful Hunter though.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Interesting you mention the 350 Rigby, I know a guy in Anchor point who has one, and I cobbled together one on a milsurp mauser. It's a neat round, has the slick feeding from it's tapered case, and no belt.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
the strange thing about the classics is that they with better butt bullets and powder performs so good that there is almost reason to choose a modern cartridge. the 9,3x62 is one of them, pare that one with the 8x57 or go for the 9,3x70 and a 416 Rigby and you have a pair that will work the worl over

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote