THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Successful brown bear hunt on upper Togiak

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Successful brown bear hunt on upper Togiak
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi, I just got back, too tired to do a full report, just wanted to thank Mark Young for setting up my brown bear hunt with John Peterson's Bristol Bay Outfitters. I want to thank both John Peterson and Jason Fawcett my guide. Jason was both an awesome guide and awesome company. I learned a lot about bear hunting from him.

Pics

From camp

Bear down in a black bog ugh!

Rick in his immaculate float plane coming to pick us up

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4734 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
You shot him with the Super. Didn't you.

Smiler

Nice bear!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2316 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bear and even better country!!!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
You shot him with the Super. Didn't you.

Smiler

Nice bear!

Thanks! I shot him with the Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby.

I also want to thank all of the AR members for all of their advice on guns, gear and outfitters. I truly believe that if I hadn't joined this forum, I would never have gone on this hunt.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4734 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a terrific brown bear!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
COngrats...John is a great guy. Wonderful bear. I am on the plane headed that way now. I hope I come out as well as you did...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Best of luck!

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
We need more details and pictures buddy!

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! Great bear!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Ok, more details and pictures ...

I flew into Dillingham, AK on Sept 17th (a day early) and John Peterson got myself and Jason out on Sept 18th. We got in around 6 PM, had camp set up in a couple of hours. The lake was just loaded with salmon. Here's a picture of Jason in camp.

Heard bears fishing right outside of our camp that night but was too tired to care. Crashed early.

The next day the rain varied from drizzle to steady. We started glassing from camp where we saw five or six bears but nothing shootable. We took the Zodiak up to the north end of the lake and saw four more bears and found a little pool that was teeming with salmon John Peterson had told us about that had huge bear trails and prints all over it. We sat and waited until dark in the rain but no bears showed.

The next day was more of the same. We saw 10 more bears, with Jason's guidance I was getting much better at spotting bears, sometimes seeing them first and judging them. Starting to get excited.

More views from camp:

The third day we had some excitement in camp. We had a adult bear in camp first thing in the morning, couldn't judge it, since we were scrambling for our rifles lol ... It was more startled then we were and it dissappeared into the willows almost soundlessly which is just amazing. That afternoon a young bear about 300 lbs or so took an interest in Jason, he yelled at it and it took off frightened straight at me. I was about five feet from my rifle (which might as well have been five miles) so I yelled at it too laughing because he was so young and bewildered. It ran back and forth and finally ran into the willows. After it was over I realized how potentially dangerous it was, but I really didn't want to shoot the bear and he really just looked bewildered and frightened. No pictures of him, sorry ...

The fourth day I spotted a shootable boar about 8'. Jason confirmed it in his spotting scope and he set up a great stalk, which I completely blew. We were on a point with the bear working his way up the beach fishing. I couldn't see him until he was about 40 yards away. He started to present a broadside shot, I was overly careful, went to adjust my position, made a noise in the water and he took off like a rocket into the willows. I was pretty depressed, but determined to learn from my mistake.

Day 5, I spotted a larger boar at 2 PM (rare time of day to see a larger bear in this location) Jason immediately set up another stalk, we took off quietly in the Zodiak and tried to get ahead of him upwind. We succeeded but just barely, he was moving much faster than anticipated. I first saw him at 13 yards and took a frontal quartering shot (Jason ranged it after the shot). Upon the hit from my 375 Weatherby, he somersaulted twice in the water, roared and took off into the willows. We waited 40 minutes then went in after him, Jason leading myself 3 feet behind him. There was a lot of blood, a good sign, but the willows were so thick when Jason ducked under I covered him. It took about us about 10 minutes to go 30 yards very carefully when we smelled bear. A minute later we found him dead in this mini black bog in the willows. It took us about 3 hours to get the hide off of him because he had sunk into this mini black bog and it took forever to turn him. The black ooze was smelly and when we got back to Dillingham and the folks helped us unload the plane my bear got the nickname "smelly bear".

Bear pictures:

The 300g Swift A-Frame had broken the shoulder, took out both lungs and had come to rest in the hide on the far side just in front of the rear left leg.

We don't have an official measurement yet, but Jason estimated it as at least an 8 1/2 foot bear based on the rear pad. I'm real happy with it.

I had a great time and learned a hell of a lot about brown bear hunting!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy for you Chuck but your sucess doesn't suprise me in the least. You were in a great area with a great operator.

The salmon just keep returning to this region in good numbers and ofcourse that means good bear food. I expect good bear numbers for the forseeable future. (I suppose that means the next six months!)

Posts: 9177 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hunt! The hide looks great and that boar has some claws on him.

John and Jason are a great team, I'm glad you were able to hunt with them!

It looks like your camp is their favorite spot for Bear on the lake. I remember that spot well.

Posts: 10714 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Great bear,congratulations,the hide looks great and will look great either as a rug or a life size mount.A successful brown bear is a great memory.

Posts: 673 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Big congrats! Nice bear and good shooting. Thanks for letting me assist with the hunt. Awesome country out there in the National Reserve and the bear numbers are amazing.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12900 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Bear, reminds me of my hunt at Cold Bay. I can still smell the Alders and Bears. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great pics, those lakes are one of the prettiest places i've ever been....
congrats

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a Swift A-Frame. Nice job!

Posts: 20111 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats

Posts: 130 | Location: PA | Registered: 23 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Congrats Chuck I'm glad the hunt went so well for you.
You did your part with the shooting ETC and your choice of John as your guide, I've known him for 25 years he's a great guy.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
That is a hunt you will always remember. Congratulations.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Chuck,

Big congrats! Nice bear and good shooting. Thanks for letting me assist with the hunt. Awesome country out there in the National Reserve and the bear numbers are amazing.

Mark

Thanks again for all of your help setting this up for me Mark...

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your Brownie...

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Bear! Congratulations.
Looks like it was a perfect hunt.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck:

Awesome hunt. I voted to do the brown bear before the buffalo.

See? I was right!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Yes you were. Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Chuck, great bear. Congrats! Not only good shooting but you went in the thick stuff with your guide and provided cover properly. That's an experience I'm sure you will never forget!

As much as I love hunting Africa, those Brownies sure do live in some beautiful country! Your pictures make me want to go back again!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Chuck: Glad you achieved Dream No. 1. Now on to Dream No. 2, eh?
My problem on your hunt would have been wanting to bag the hunt and just fish. Gad that's some gorgeous water!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16473 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

There is some excellent fishing there. All of that area Chuck hunted was my backyard for 22 years.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12900 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
There were about 500,000 sockeye salmon in a little lake when we were there. I believe I could've caught them with my hands. Mark, the bear squared an honest (not stretched) 8 1/2' measured by D&C Expediters in Anchorage. At 13 yards he looked pretty damn big. Thanks again for booking the hunt for me. It was perfect.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Good shooting Chuck, beautiful bear. Congratulations! beer

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
congratulations! that is a beautiful bear.. 13 yards thats the way to do it!

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote