New
Find
Notify
Tools

wild west guns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
has anybody had wild west guns hardchrome any rifles for you if yes what did you think.

Posts: 201 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, they done a lever gun of mine. yes, that hardchromin if you will is or rather the electroless nickel as I understand it which was done some 5 or 6 yrs back is tougher than nails.

I have take this levergun thru some very aggressive conditions year in and out and it is remarkable how well it has held up-doubt there is a scratch, a possible buff maybe.

hope this helps

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I have guns that were hardchromed and I have a pistol that was treated with electroless nickel. They appear to be two distinct and different processes. While I'm not a metalurgist, and surely someone who is will jump in here, hardchrome is harder than electroless nickel. The electroless nickel finish on my pistol has a yellowish tinge to it, while the hardchrome is a dull grey.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
brianbo, you are correct as they are very different finishes and the nickel does have a yellow tint to it. Hardchrome is a much better finish as it is harder, more resistant to corrosion and will not peel like nickel will. The hardchrome is the way to go. I have a rifle that was done in Metalife by Ron Mahovsky and I could not be happier. You can send your weapon directly to most finishers without going through a gunsmith or dealer and save yourself the middleman cost. My rifle finish looks like a brushed satin stainless steel and is not only functional but looks good too.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote