Find
Notify
Tools

Fly-in Drop camp, DIY Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

For at least the next three years I am going to be living in Anchorage. I am military and don't mind the leg-work on any given hunt. Then after that, maybe retire somewhere in AK.

I have researched hard lately, and it seems that all good hunting is associated with either a fly-in or float in hunt. Is this true?

What is the price range I can expect for a pilot to drop me into a remote area, and then come back 10 days later?

Area is still yet to be determined, but let's just say, no more than 200-300 miles from anchorage. If that is far enough to get the real bush experience?

I want to hunt mainly moose, caribou, griz.

Thanks in advance.

CG

Posts: 197 | Location: alaska | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ceg1963: Costs will depend on what type of plane you charter and where you want to go and how many people will be going on the hunt with you. Last Sept three of us flew out to Bethel (on Alaska Airlines) and then flew out to the hunting grounds in a Beaver from there. The plane cost $1450 out and $1450 back, so the cost was $2900 split three ways (this does not include the Alaska Airline ticket). Year before last, 5 of us hired 2 Beavers out of Bettles and that cost $1725 per person. Costs can be anywhere from $1000 per person to $1800 per person.

The further away from Anchorage you can get the better. If your charter is based in Anchorage, they will most likely take you to places that are hammered. But if your charter is based out of Bethel, Kotzebue, Bettles, or Fort Yukon, (or someplace similar) your chances of getting into a more remote area that sees a lot less hunting pressure goes way up.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ceg:

RWJ offers some excellent advice. Never charter out of Anchortown.

I was stationed in Alaska. I was not afraid to spend money and glad I did it. Too many soldiers/airmen/pilots (why is it "soldiers" encompasses officers but "airmen" does not?) are too cheap and want to walk in. Spend the money.

That said, when I was in, you could catch a c12 up to Kotz for free. From there, either fly out of Kotz or fly (on Bering) to a village sucha as Kiana and hire a local pilot.

To sheep hunt, drive to Glenallen and fly out of there.

Best of luck. don't forget about the fishing, either.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The least expensive fly out that I've seen is for caribou out of Soldotna, I haven't priced them lately, but $1250-1500. One thing to be careful of is if there will be additional freight charges if you have a successful hunt.

In general, I'd budget $2000 for a drop hunt. Another option is a boat hunt for blacktail deer on Kodiak, and it will cost about the same amount.

Float hunts will cost more, both for flying out the extra gear, and raft rental. Unless you are experienced floating remote rivers, I would highly advise against doing a drop camp float hunt.

Unless you are going to spend every free hour scouting and hunting, then you are way better off doing a fly out hunt. I've also found that just hooking up with someone that will take you out hunting to a good spot, is about as illusive as the good hunting off the road.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote