New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want one like this
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We stopped at Cabela's in Mitchell, SD yesterday. I was astounded at some of the mounts. For example ,

Damn I want one!

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you like it. I shot three that day. I kept the two big ones for myself and traded that runt to Cabelas for a few Cabela's Bucks and some aardvark jerkey.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that was funny.

I am going in August for Dall. I took the pic and texted it to the outfitter with the message that I heard he was guaranteeing rams like this one. Then I had to tell him I was kidding .

I have to wonder why anyone let this mount go? That looks like the trophy of 10 lifetimes.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have to wonder why anyone let this mount go? That looks like the trophy of 10 lifetimes.

Money most likely the wife or children of the shooter

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
What the hell is that? A Dallco Polo?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Now that was funny.

I am going in August for Dall. I took the pic and texted it to the outfitter with the message that I heard he was guaranteeing rams like this one. Then I had to tell him I was kidding .

I have to wonder why anyone let this mount go? That looks like the trophy of 10 lifetimes.

I have never seen a graveyard with a trophy room.

Looks like the rams killed in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's.

I doubt unless you had the subsistence rights to hunt a National Park a ram will be taken again like that. The mountains aren't managed for that kind of quality.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could just be a replica as well.

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I really like the Mitchell Cabela's store. My wife and I stayed down the highway at an RV park. We also enjoyed the Corn Palace. In some of the Sheep and Sheep Hunter books they show some really old photos of rams like that one as BWW indicated. Good photo.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Now that was funny.

I have never seen a graveyard with a trophy room.

Looks like the rams killed in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's.

I doubt unless you had the subsistence rights to hunt a National Park a ram will be taken again like that. The mountains aren't managed for that kind of quality.

Good point.

I would have to think that a sheep like that is worth a lot of money.

We spent about an hour wandering around the store. I managed to pick up a few small items for my upcoming Alaska trip that I would never find in Orlando.

Unfortunately, I also saw a 10/22 that I don't see how I can live without. The 3 I already have are simply not enough.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
You never know, you could get lucky and shoot something like this: http://www.newsminer.com/fairb...f8-445937d3614a.html

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn that is serious .

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I remember when Cabelas built their first store in Washington. It was publicized they budgeted well over a million dollars for the taxidermy.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
“For big sheep, 40 inches is kind of the standard,” said state wildlife biologist Jason Caikoski, who monitors sheep in the Brooks Range for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game in Fairbanks.

The measurement is taken around the horns from the base of the skull to the tip of the horn.

Only 261 of the 6,068 sheep — 4 percent — sealed by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game between 2004 and 2010 were measured at 40 inches or more.

More than half of those — 146 — were 40 inchers. There were only two sheep that measured 46 inches or bigger — one 46 incher and one 47.

Hmmm.

Impressive indeed

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait around Larry.

Cabelas often cleans it store taxidermy.

They sold all the taxidermy in a Colorado store for a ridiculously stupid low price like $38 a mount - including full mounts. Condition was had to buy everything and pick it up. My Alaskan packer's dad who is in the reselling taxidermy business bought it all and rented a few trucks to haul it all.

I think the total he paid was less than my lion mount would cost.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Takes your mind off their high prices. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Wait around Larry.

Cabelas often cleans it store taxidermy.

They sold all the taxidermy in a Colorado store for a ridiculously stupid low price like $38 a mount - including full mounts. Condition was had to buy everything and pick it up. My Alaskan packer's dad who is in the reselling taxidermy business bought it all and rented a few trucks to haul it all.

I think the total he paid was less than my lion mount would cost.

Mike

i'm surprised with the number of cabelas stores showing up around the US & canada I figured they may just swap mounts from one store to the next every few years to keep things fresh but not keep investing a lot of money into new mounts

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the mounts in Cabelas stores are replicas.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Demonical:
All the mounts in Cabelas stores are replicas.

lol

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
You never know, you could get lucky and shoot something like this: http://www.newsminer.com/fairb...f8-445937d3614a.html

I flew out of camp with Bill and that magnificent ram. We stayed up most of the night at The Prudhoe Bay hotel just staring at it. I think it is the highest scoring ram to ever come out of the Brooks Range.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, I never saw rams like that in the 1940, 50s and 60!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, that's a great ram but it's too damn bad the wiener in the photo isn't happy about it at all.
Maybe he's been smiling so much that he can't get it up (mouth-corners) for the photos!
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
quote:

Yep, that's a great ram but it's too damn bad the wiener in the photo isn't happy about it at all.
Maybe he's been smiling so much that he can't get it up (mouth-corners) for the photos!
Zeke

He was by himself and propped the camera up to take a selfie. But you should have seen him smiling at the Dallas Safari Club convention when he received the award for that magnificent ram !!

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote