Find
Notify
Tools

Riseing beach in Homer .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
Anyone hear about the section of the inlet that rose up and stayed up in the Homer area reciently ??

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of strange things happened around the time of the great Alasakan earthquake. The date escapes me. Another one coming?

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
No , as near as I know this was within the last 2 weeks ????

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oy, boomstick is in Homer right now! Give him some investigative work.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be in Homer August 4th. Will give a full report with pictures if the thread is still active.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. Sounds great ... The story was in the Anchorage Daily News .. I,m very suprised there wasn,t a big stir about it , but there wasn,t an earthquake with it .........
. Course all the beach front property owners and banks holding notes would work pretty hard to quash a story like that ................since the bulk of Alaska is beach front related .....
. Anyway it was almost enough to cause me to drive 1500 miles just to see it ..............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK! We finally made it to Homer. Looking at the bulge within the last hour, it is no big thing. There is no concern in town and people are taking it as a non event. Really not much to take pictures about.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Right , but how much did it bulge ???????? How long is it ???How wide ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bulge is on the west end of the town. Access is down a one lane dirt drive called Bluff Rd. I looks to be less than a quarter mile long and is elevated roughly 18 to 20 feet. Problem is I do not know what it looked like before and have nothing to base the expansion against. No before and after.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the research , I know the news paper article said the star fish were left high and dry ect ... The residents of Homer may not be too concerned , But I kind of think they are ignoring something pretty big , or they are uninformed ....... Land that starts GROWING is something to be concerned about ... Especially in that area .. Re doubt is pretty much on the other side of the inlet ........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be in Fairbanks on the evening of the 30th an in Homer sometime after the 5th of September I'll post a picture and or a report on the bulge soon after. Doc

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
Thanks for the research , I know the news paper article said the star fish were left high and dry ect ... The residents of Homer may not be too concerned , But I kind of think they are ignoring something pretty big , or they are uninformed ....... Land that starts GROWING is something to be concerned about ... Especially in that area .. Re doubt is pretty much on the other side of the inlet ........

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
& here is where it landed!! Gummy do they have Tides, Storms & Sand / Gravel anywhere near your house dancing space jumping

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tsturm has the second run of silvers come in yet on the Kenai?

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
tsturm has the second run of silvers come in yet on the Kenai?

The water level is back to normal(glacial ice dam broke@ Skilak) Lots of Silvers I dont think the second run starts until mid Sept??

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
No we don,t !!!! The bay stays where it is supposed to be , and the beach where it should be .... Considering the tide would come in under my house every day while we lived in Hoonah , I was very glad of the arrangement between the beach and the the bay ....