Find
Notify
Tools

To all Dall Sheephunters abroad
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted
Goodluck to all taking to the mountains, the season opens Monday (Aug 10)Going to see if I can find that forty incher to top last years ram, be safe....hope to see some reports on this thread.

Fullcurls and heavy packs...take pictures.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
And Please , kill some wolves while you are up there so we continue to have some sheep to hunt ...... I really can,t stress this point enough ..... If you want to have sheep to hunt you need to kill some wolves ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Leaving for the Brooks tomorrow AM....and Yes I have a wolf tag!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em Roscoe!
From a fellow Arkansan trapped in Georgia, who's hunted the Brooks and taken wolf and sheep.
It's a blast,
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
POST PICTURES. I am itching to get back.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heading to the Brooks on the 25th. Can't wait to chase those glorious white monarchs. Got drawn for a Grizz too, so I'm really, really excited.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Heading out next Monday to help a good friend fill his sheep tag in the Talkeetnas then i'm off on the 28th to the DCUA to find myself a 40"er. If I see a wolf or a bear while on either hunt I am going to put a hole in them.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brooks in 11....
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good luck all...I'm itching to get back to the brooks as well!

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son drew a tag to hunt sheep on a walk in hunt a few miles behind our house in Eagle River.
First we are headed to the Koyukuk to chase moose (about 500 miles running the river each direction) and the day after we return he goes in to chase a dall.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6602 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'd love to have that hunting schedule. Have fun, and post some pics.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudos to all who are headed up Sheep hunting, and good luck on the hunt.
Please post pix when you return.
And, as mentioned, KILL some wolves too.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I stopped in the ADF&G office here in Anchorage today to pick up a black bear tag. Two hunters were having their sheep recorded. Very nice!!! Makes me excited for next year!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Heres the picture...just for you Brett, and Storm GSP

2009 Ram- Taken in the AK Range

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
Heres the picture...just for you Brett, and Storm GSP

2009 Ram- Taken in the AK Range

You are a sick and evil man. How can you post one picture of an INCREDIBLE ram like that. We want details and more pictures. He looks like he is over 40"...

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
That's one hell of a ram!!!! I had two guys stop in Barney's yesterday. They each took rams in the Brooks I believe. One just missed 170".

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Yeah Brett,

I'll be stopping by soon to drop off another pic for you to look at.....Chuck

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I'll be there. I'd like to meet you in person. My be difficult as I'll be in my practice full time any time now. I'll probably still be around on the odd weekend or two.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaving for the Brooks on the 25th for 10 days. Hopefully will bring back and ram and a bruin. All packed, can't wait. AlaskaSH, what a great looking ram!!

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
More pics

Check out the Mass....THICK!!!

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I duplicated...wrong pic, here you go