Find
Notify
Tools

weatherproof wood stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi....

I lived in Alaska many years ago and plan on moving back within the next couple of years.I remember that it rained a lot.

I have wood stocked rifles and short of having everything restocked with synthetic,what have you guys found to be a good way to weatherproof your wood stocks.This,of course will include every part,not just the outside.Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take the rifle out of the stock and seal the inside with a good waterproof varnish or even epoxy based sealer. Then for the outside of the stock sand all the old finnish off and spray it down with spray in bedliner. This has worked very well for me for the last several years. You can always touch up the spray on bedliner later if you want to.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Bear -- You the guy that has the stainless levergun I've seen on another site?

ray -- Tony Dingess at Revelation Mtn Outfitters uses Johnsons Floor Wax and Carnuba Wax and has no problems.

I believe I'd use the waxes and get a Robar finish on the interior parts. I enjoy blued steel and wood stocks so stainless and synthetic is not an option for me.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes thats me. The spray on bedliner is a good durable finish. There are a few chips in my lever gun stock but still considering the beating I put my guns thru its handling very well indeed. Just last week I broke a stock and a leupold scope in two rolling down a mountain. Tonight I have to clean all the mudd out of my loaner 06 that my buddy has slung across his back when he flipped his 4 wheeler burring himself and my rifle in mudd. Not to mention all the tree limbs that whack into my guns while across the handlebars of my machine.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
I usually can't stand stainless guns, but yours is/was a gorgeous beast.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got from the Alaska Peninsula for nearly three weeks. It rained for all but three or four days. Rain, rain, rain.
My wood stock did just fine. It is an oil finish with wax. Laquer on the inside and under the grip cap and buttpad. wax on the outside.

It did just fine.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
AFreeman uses the same method as I.
I have a Laminated stocked rifle that I pulled it all apart and varnished inside the barrel channel and under the recoil pad. This works great for me never had any trouble.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
by the way, that grip cap is steel that is not blued.

its got patina now.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Adam you need to get a good gun. I can probably find something laying around with a nice synthetic stock I'll trade you.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4201 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey there Phil,
funny, funny.
i will trade you that 458 that is all beat to hell...bring it to SCI. O, O, O or better still how about that recent 9.3 that LP worked on!

I do have that 416 taylor that LP is doing for me...man i am excited about that thing.

Is that a "good gun"?

I did use this gun as an oar once when we ran up on a sand bar...one of the 20 times! I could not find an oar fast enough and we were in a bit of a rush...so there was the gun. I did make certain it was not loaded and watched where it was pointed.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I heard you had a good hunt. Congratulations. I'll be anxious to hear about it at the show.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4201 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey ray;
leave your wood stock as it is. little dings here and there just adds character to your rifle and stories that come with it. spend your money on shells instead!

shoot first, ask questions later....

Posts: 14 | Location: alaska | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With Quote