New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone ever tried??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There have been a few questions on Ankle Fit Waders, while I have looked at the Cabelas and Lacrosse, "Velcro" always scares me with mud and water and boggy conditions. Plus most of these are neoprene or rubber and will be hotter than hell trying to hunt in if the conditions get warm.

Has anyone ever tried the breathable hip waders (Such as Simms or Orvis) with Neoprene Booties and then buy a size larger hunting boot and put that on over them? Or maybe a wading boot with a rubber sole? It sounds like a good theory but has it been tested?

This seems like it would be the best of both worlds since they are light/breathable with a comforatable walking shoe.

If anyone has tried this I would sure appreciate the replies.

Thanks,

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sb45,

I know several guides that use breathable stockingfoot hippers and waders w/hiking boots here in AK....in the past I used the glacier socks, but they always ended up leaking before a hunt was over....I switched to a breathable(not very)set of waist waders from Cabela's and they've lasted two full seasons and used them for fishing also....I wear them w/the Koflach plastic boots I use. I've also used a pair of nylon stockingfoot hippers from Cabela's($29.95)but they were a little too short when the streams were high...other than that they, too, worked...the waist highs were the ideal things for me. They work well for my applications.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner is using the Cabelas wader jeans with wader hiking boots over them for our bear hunt next month. I tried them and I sweat way too much. They were very noisey and hot as hell. My .02

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote