Find
Notify
Tools

Outer layer clothing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
I'm putting this up in hopes those who've spent time Hunting in the wet/cold Alaska weather will be more knowledgable.

When I was young I was given a well used canvas Anorak that had a wool liner. It was maybe milsurp as it was OD green, but it had a hood that rolled into the collar, buttons on the front about half way down with a pouch pocket on the front. It was discarded when it became ragged and I miss it a bunch. Would like to find something similar. If it was rainproof with Lamilite insulation in Anorak form it'd be about perfect I think.

What have you found that works best? Who makes it or where is it available?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nate,

I don't know about the Anorak configuration but Sitka gear is getting some really good reviews from Alaska hunters.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Kuiu gear.

Better and more advanced than anything else out there. Base layers to rain gear.

www.kuiu.com

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'm heading to Alaska next week for 12 days in the field.

1. Base layer - Merino wool (light weight)
2. Pants - Northface Paramount Peak with a pair of Cabelas's Merino Wool Tech Pants if the temp really drops
3. Caddis breathable waist high waders with some with Patgonia "Ultra Light Wading Boots - Sticky"
4. Cabelas heavy weight Microtex shirt
5. Cabela's Diamantina Merino wool jacket
6. Cabela's Primaloft Insulated Passage vest
7. Helly Hansen Impertech camo rain gear (don't think I will need the bottoms)
8. Misc: Heavy weight wool socks, Cabelas synthetic boxer briefs,Arctic Shield gloves, Sitka Merino glove liners, Sitka baseball cap, Filson Wool & Waxed/Oiled canvas hat, fleece neck gaiter, fleece watch cap, heavy duty waterfowl gloves.

Yes, Kuiu is good stuff. I have their bino holder. Would have gotten more, but seems a bit pricey. I'm waiting for someone to release hunting gear made with Polartec's new Alpha material. This will be the "new thing" to have pretty soon. Go read up on it. SOCOM got it last year, mountain gear being released this year. I checked with Polartec, no hunting stuff yet. Patagonia makes the military version, not not publicly available.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
I'm putting this up in hopes those who've spent time Hunting in the wet/cold Alaska weather will be more knowledgable.

When I was young I was given a well used canvas Anorak that had a wool liner. It was maybe milsurp as it was OD green, but it had a hood that rolled into the collar, buttons on the front about half way down with a pouch pocket on the front. It was discarded when it became ragged and I miss it a bunch. Would like to find something similar. If it was rainproof with Lamilite insulation in Anorak form it'd be about perfect I think.

What have you found that works best? Who makes it or where is it available?

If you're looking for a replacement for your original item, look in one of the milsurplus dealers. I think I've seen something like that for sale - old East German or Swedish stuff. Maybe "Cheaper than Dirt".

Other than that what specifically are you looking for? Are you willing to pay top dollar or looking for mid range gear? There are great options at both the high and mid range.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
What do you want? Rain gear? Outer insulated gear? Mid layer pants shirt?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for hunting gear for up here, forget the military stuff. Most of it is junk! Otte, stika are great brands. Even Browing make good stuff!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From someone who spent a crap load of $$ on Sitka gear, I would NEVER pay that sort of $$ again on it. Just simply not worth it. You can find many good pants and base layers out there. I think key is finding some rain gear that actually work. Sheep hunting to moose hunting are two different animals and each have different clothing for me as if I have to pack it, I want it light. Moose hunting is on atv, so don't worry so much about the weight.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:

Brett

I'm after something that is rain proof or nearly so, and can be pulled over light weight clothes.
Where I'm at the weather changes quickly, so you may be dressed realativly light but need another inulating layer or rain cover off and on throughout a day.
I was thinking perfect would be a Tin Cloth Anorack with a button in wool shirt jack. You could wear either piece seperate but can combine them for a pretty good foul weather outer layer.
Once it gets cold it just snows and I actually prefer that to rain any day.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Helly Hansen Impertech. Waterproof. None of this Gore-Tex stuff that is good in the lower 48.

Separate out your rain gear from your insulation gear.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:

Brett

I'm after something that is rain proof or nearly so, and can be pulled over light weight clothes.
Where I'm at the weather changes quickly, so you may be dressed realativly light but need another inulating layer or rain cover off and on throughout a day.
I was thinking perfect would be a Tin Cloth Anorack with a button in wool shirt jack. You could wear either piece seperate but can combine them for a pretty good foul weather outer layer.
Once it gets cold it just snows and I actually prefer that to rain any day.

Rain proof and wool don't really go together. I like and use a lot of wool for base layers, socks, and my mid layer top. Most of that is Minus 33 base layers and a Mountain Equipment wool mid layer top. As for pants I use mountaineering pants as they are made of stretchy, breathable, fast drying material like Schoeler fabric that's tougher than monkey snot. I have a pair from Mountain Equipment that I really like, but Mammut make great Schoeler fabric mountaneering pants as well. For warm outer insulated layers I use premaloft insulated stuff made by Barney's Sports Chalet here in Anchorage. Very light weight, dries quickly, and will keep you warm when wet unlike down. For rain gear I think I have about 5 different pairs I use. A no name beater pair for around the house. Helly Hanson for mostly fishing as I can slime it up and wash it down no big deal. I would also use that for somewhere like a southeast/peninsula/Kodiak hunt where I expected daily rain and lots of it. I have Sitka 3 layer goretex which I hate as it is loud and WAY expensive, but would be the goretex equivelent to Helle Hanson. I have the Kuiu rain gear which I like so far. I've used it for most general purpose hunting like moose, caribou, bear, ect. I have Mountain Hardwear Precep(?I think) rain gear which is super light weight and not very durable for sheep hunting to save weight. I would only really use it for something like a sheep hunt and not for heavy brush hunting or a hunt I'm expecting to be very rainy. I use those rain layers as wind breakers as well, so i don't really mess with wind breakers or vests for that matter. I hope this helps.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Just got back last night from our Quebec - Lab. caribou hunt. Bought some Sitka gear right before the hunt and was pretty impressed. Bought the stratus jacket and pants as a base and the Downpour raingear as the outerlayer. We had wind, rain, sleet and snow and have to say that the Downpour raingear performed flawlessly. Very lightweight and can be put over your base layers. Pants zip all the way from top to bottom so putting them on quickly in the field over your boots is very easy.
As far as the Kuiu.....i've heard nothing but good things about their gear, but the issue is getting it. Never in stock. Read on some of the forums that guys are waiting up to 6 months for their gear !!

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Helly Hansen Impertech.

+1. They come in orange color, a legal requirement for hunting parts of Canada:

Standard: http://www.helly.ca/EN/product...0_800-2013-email.pdf
Safety: http://www.helly.ca/EN/product...1_804-2013-email.pdf
Ultra: http://www.helly.ca/EN/product...5_445-2013-email.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just spent 10 days getting drenched; I had Sitka gear and it was flawless, as were my Meindl boots.

My clothes are pretty simple: high perf long underwear with Sitka raingear as the outlayer. My pack has additional layers; when it is time to stalk, I take off the long johns and rain coat, and stalk with nothing but one long sleeve polypro (or whatever the latest technology is) and my rain pants. If it rains, so what? The polypro wicks enough water that it is good enough and that way I don't overheat.

Same outfit works for sheep hunting, except I add a pair of running shorts. I hike with the shorts pulled over my long johns. If too hot, I hike in the shorts.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote