Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 loads for moose hunting
 Login/Join

posted
was wondering what everybody uses in their 30-06 for moose hunting and has anybody ever tried the horndy light mag. for the 30-06. Thanks

Posts: 27 | Location: los anchorage AK | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i shot my moose with my 06 useing the federal h.e loads with 180 gn noslers at a muzzle velocity of 2950 fps at close to 300 m ....could not have been happier with the loading
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot lots of moose, always with my 30-06. I've used various bullets, always 180 grain, mostly Nosler Partitions.

The last few moose taken has me convinced to use my 338 on future trips. These moose are huge bodied (Koyokuk region) and hunted during the height of the rut. There must be some sort of adreneline thing going on. They take lots of lead.

I was watching a huge moose (67") through my binoculars while my brother shot him with his 30-06. He was using 220 grain Sierra Pro-Hunters. I don't know the velocity. It was spectacular, watching and hearing the bullets impact, water spraying off the beast. That moose took 5 rounds from 200 yards to go down, then a few more at point blank to kill it.

I've since switched to 180 grain A-Frames in my 30-06, but haven't shot a moose with them yet. All future moose hunts will be with my 338, with 275 grain A-Frames.

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
No question, they are big. When it takes a 4 wheeler to move one, or 2, you know that you are dealing with some serious tonnage. I boned out the 60 incher I mentioned earlier, by my self while my brother and our partner ferried the bull I had killed the day before, back to camp. To say I was tired when they got back is an understatement After you deal with one, you know to never, ever shoot 2 in one day.

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can use a 30-06 for Moose and Bear hunting, loaded with 180 or 200 Nosler Part. make a excellent rifle. Many a game each year falls to the 30-06 in Alaska...from Grizzly to Moose. The key is to know where to shoot on game and not at exteme distance. I have 4 rifles in my safe that are 30-06.

My favorite is the 338 Win with 250 Hornady RN for most of my hunting along with my Marlin GG in 45-70.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote