THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Who have you used, and how happy were you?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who have you used, and how happy were you?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am trying to put together a hunt for either Caribou or Sitka Blacktail for 2004. I am open to options ranging from "do-it-yourself" to guided. My question is what outfitters, guides, air taxi services, lodges, or charter boat services have you used, and were you satisfied with the service rendered? What were you hunting, when, and where?

Thanks,

Dave

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I should be able to talk to Brian about the Kodiak hunt on Friday. I will give you more details then.

Caribou is an easy hunt for the do-it-yourself guy but it is a complete wilderness thing. A guide is going to help you get a better caribou and will care if you are in a good area. Often the transporters that do drop offs are only interested in a good place to land their plane.

I live in the middle of the Mulchatna herd and have hunted them extensively. I probably can help with anything you might want to know as far as AK caribou hunting goes.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I've used Talon Air for drop off a couple of times for bou. Excellant service, drop us where the bou were and definitly filled the freezer.

I also used Iliamna air guides for a drop off also. Excellant service again. I flew to Iliamna on a friday morning and Ili air guides called to tell us that the big bulls havent moved into the area yet and if we wanted to re-schedule, of course we were already in the air and I still popped a couple young bulls for the freezer.

Both services I would recommend in a heart beat.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm on Prince of Wales Island, and hunting for the Blacktail is also a do-it-yourself proposition here. There are several places which have cabins and will rent you a suburban, or you can drive up to Bellingham, WA, catch teh ferry to Ketchikan, catch the IFA ferry to Prince of Wales, then go camping. The Forest Service has a pretty good map of the island and you can get the USGS Quad maps for more detail. Those don't show all the logging roads, however. You can get a nice black bear if you show up after Sept. 1. The subsistence board is playing games, though and the seasons may get screwed up. Again..

-Kees-

Posts: 8 | Location: Southeast Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Dave; Sorry I haven't gotten back to you about the .375 I have been humpin at tha office for ever. I will try to call you this thanksgiving weekend. I can take care of you Caribou needs.
Check out our web site. www.airguides.com
Check with me direct by E-Mail, if anybody is interested..Thanks Marc
If you call the # on the website mention Marc Davis. The owners name is Mark also.

[ 11-27-2003, 22:18: Message edited by: MADDOG ]

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kees-

I am moving to Bellingham in a month. Sent you a Private Message with a few questions if you don't mind.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Mulchatna herd with an outfitter named Bob Adams of Adams Guiding Service. You can get ahold of him at kipchuk1@alaska.net. I highly recommend him.

The nice thing about a guided hunt is that he tries to position you where the caribou are migrating. He will pick you up and change locations after a day or two if necessary. The other nice thing is the part where the guide packs the 150 pounds of meat up and down a mountain to get to your camp. The guide will definitely help you find bigger horns.

Indy