New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on Brown Bear outfitter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am kicking a round a Brown Bear hunt in 2009 or 2010. One thing for sure it is not a cheap hunt so I am looking for recommendation on quality outfitters. I realize nothing is guarenteed but want to go with one of the best if I am spending the money. Any recommendations ould be appreciated.

Posts: 978 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Grizzly Skins of Alaska , they book thru Ray Atkinson , I think ,and frequent the forums ....
They take alot of nice , real big bears ..
I,m sure you can PM "RAY"
You may also pm Waterrat , he is on the forums tho he is probably sweating under a bg bear hide , packin it out as I write this ,,,Most all the bear guides are hunting right now and so are away from the electronic whir ........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Brown and grizzly has always been my dream can anybody advise what price range are we talking about for one of these beasts in the coming 12 months?

Is there a different charge for US residence and for non US citizens

thanks

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rutten--contact AAA Alaskan outfitters--Brent Jones for browns.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can book you with Griz Skins, that is Phil Shoemaker and he shoots the very best bear to be had..Phil is one heck of a nice guy to boot and lives on his concession year around and doesn't hunt it..your chances of a 9 ft. plus bear are very good indeed..For more informtion contact me at ray@atkinsonhunting.com

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rutten ----- Dennis Harms has more than one concession on Kodiak Island and takes some really big Bears. He got me a huge Moose in the Farewell Burn some years ago, but now hunts Bears mainly. I have his info and more will follow. Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Shoemaker doesn't "live on his concession year around." He is at the Lake during bear season, then moves to Circle, near Fairbanks.
If he lives there year around, how does he post here on the computer frequently? There is no computer access from his camp. He said so. He has to fly to King Salmon to make a post on the computer.
Is that true Ray, or am I full of shit? Big Grin
I've been in Alaska since 1966, flying, working on planes, hunting, and guiding for a while, I know a lot of the Guides on the Peninsula, I recommend Warren Johnson at Bear Lake. 1st class operation. My friend shot an 11 foot 6 inch bear with Warren 2 years ago. He will book direct, bypassing any Agents.
Good luck.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been to Bear Lake Lodge and as TJ said it is a 1st class operation all the way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rutten
Contact Dan Mongomery 907-373-4898.. I've hunted with Dan.. His service is a Bond to Him to You..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello rutten,
I have used Deltana Outfitters for several hunts (moose & sheep) and just completed a brown bear hunt with them last week. I had a great time and we saw plenty of bears, both large and small. We were not in a position to catch up to one of the larger bears but I was able to get a bear that squared 10' 3", with a 10' bear being my goal.
Send me your e-mail address and I will send you some pictures.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave! I would love to see some pictures. As you know a trip like this is not cheap and I want to use a outfitter that has a good reputation and works hard to get the animal. It is encouraging to here that you saw so many Bear.
Thank you.
Scott

scottanddody@cablemt.net

Posts: 978 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of shphtr
posted Hide Post
I thought that Warren Johnson had retired - guess not. Phil Shoemaker also has a postal address for Palmer/Wasilla...not sure about residence but do often see him at the gun shows out in the valley. Brent Jones also comes highly recommended and has been around quite a while - AAA is perhaps best know for its sheep hunting.

Posts: 13 | Location: chugiak, ak | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
for the what-it- worth-department Ray is not exactly wrong when he claims I live on our concession year around. My family and I did live at our 40 acre homestead on the Alaska peninsula year around for nearly a decade until we decided our children could use some socialization and enrolled them in a village school in Central. We also have a cabin at Circle Hot Springs and moved up there for the winter months. We still spend over half the year on our concession. Our "corporate" address has always been listed in Wasilla as we have long term friends there, who we stay with when transiting through, and who forward our mail and answer phone messages.

The Johnson's place at Bear Lake is quite comfortable and they have been in business a long time. Dennis Harms and AAA run top notch outfits, as do a number of other guides like Joe Klutch, Dick Gunlogson and Tracy Vrem.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave C, I talked to Ralph recently and he said this spring was tough weather and they had to work like hell to get bears, but it sounds like virtually all were successful and with good bears to boot. I think he's booked through '10 now, but you never know. Deltana isn't cheap, but if a hunter is willing to do the work, they will work harder than anyone to get you your game. Take care, EB

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote