THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Opinions on hunting Sitka Blacktails on Prince of Wales island

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on hunting Sitka Blacktails on Prince of Wales island
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
A good friend finished his house up there last year at the north end and asked if I wanted to come visit. He said we could try for a blacktail but he has never hunted them.

When after the season opens are the deer in hard horn?

Will we need a boat to access the hunting areas or is mostly going be a high elevation hiking and glassing affair.

I know some nice bucks have come from the island but I also realize its a BIG island.

Legitimately, how tough or "relaxing" a hunt is this?

Just wondering what realistic expectations are.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opens in July, at least for residents. Best time for rut action is November and depending on the snow load you can have a good mix of timber, alpine, beach hunting. October seems scary dead for action. Nice place to hunt with a lot of options. Lots of old logging roads for access.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks labdad, looks like the season opens Aug 1st for Non-residents. Are they not still in velvet then? I would prefer to hunt only after they have shed velvet.

I'm guessing you mean that the more snow there is the lower in elevation the deer will be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The later in the season the better. Plan on November.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Nov 1 to Thanksgiving is "prime time."

Leaves fall off the brush around Alaska Day (Oct 18) and pre-rutting starts about then. Most deer are hard-horned around Labor Day. I personally don't like to hunt Sept or Oct. Ate some August buck steaks last night. August deer are prime vittles.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

It looks like if I want to hunt the rut then Nov. is the time to go. Unfortunately the guy I'd be hunting with will only be there through Sept.

We can hunt whitetails here too in Aug. Seems like the meat is milder when they are still in velvet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MuskegMan:
Nov 1 to Thanksgiving is "prime time."

Leaves fall off the brush around Alaska Day (Oct 18) and pre-rutting starts about then. Most deer are hard-horned around Labor Day. I personally don't like to hunt Sept or Oct. Ate some August buck steaks last night. August deer are prime vittles.

Sound Advice.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
The north end of the island is pretty greal . The bucks will still be in velvet but as has been stated that just makes them taste better . The north end and some of the islands around pose a unique challenge for someone walking around . Sink holes . The general rule is . If you can't see where you are putting your foot . Don't .

With the leaves on its alot more of a problem than you would think . Are you going to fly to his place or take the ferry and drive . . Both have thier rewards . I recomend ferry to Hollis then drive . Stop at The Riggin Shack in Coffman Cove and get a pair of XtraTuff corks . Unless you already have corks . Air bobs arn't bad but corks are best . . If you have a good time you can leave them there as you will want to go back . .. . Good reningear is mandatory also . . Does he live close to the beach ?

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a real challenge, you can climb up into the alpine in early september. You'll have to bring camp and supplies for several days with you, then carry all the deer meat, cape, and antlers, plus camp supplies back out with you. That may be the hard way to do things, but you'll always treasure the memory. I haven't hunted them any way other than that, and the heads that hang on my wall are valued over all the other animals with larger headgear. Just a thought.

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post

Agree with Gracedog, this was one of the best days of my life! I was there with a guide, and likely couldn't have properly handled the load without another person.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Don ; thats a really nice and big buck . Really nice .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DonB, I think I recognize where you are. Is that on POW on the Kasaan peninsula?

One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
Nice Buck Don ....

That is on Prince of Wales Island .. but not on Kasaan Peninsula.

Don took that one after relocating to the Island after tagging a Mt Goat over on the mainland.

I do have that slot available this season. Start out on the mainland and then relocate to the Island for Deer and / or Black Bear.

muskegexcursions.com

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sure looks like a place on POW where I sat down to have lunch one time.