New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bear hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone recommend a good area, outfitter for a good Brown Bear? Also, what is the damage to my bank account likely to be?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
My experience is that the least damage to your bank account comes from choosing the best outfitter right up front - usually one that charges a little more than average.

If you choose lower cost hunts you are likely to have to buy two or three of them before you connect with a bear and even then that bear is likely to be smaller than you would like.

Phil Shoemaker would be my recommendation for someone who could get the job done.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For coastal brownies, Chuck Adams. $14K+

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
You don't have to spend a fortune for a guided brown bear hunt to get that bear of a lifetime. Contact Jake Jefferson of Black River Hunting Camp, he's a local guy and works on his own. He has taken some outstanding brown bears in the last few year and he doen't charge what some of the bigger name guides charge. Here's a link to his website.

http://www.alaskasgreatoutdoors.com/Jake/Black%20River%20Hunting%20camp.htm

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Here is my favorite!I got a 10-10 in 96'..my partner just got a 10'2 last year and me a 8'6 Blonde/Chocolate.The Scenery is Breathtaking,the Lodge is on Bear Lake,been there over 50 years..Bear are Everywhere!Great fishing too.The lodge,gameroom,food and people are thee Best...Not Cheap,but many,many record bears are taken here.....Tell them Tom(New Orleans)sent ya! [URL=http://www.bearlakelodgealaska.com/]www.bearlakelodgealaska.com

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
SAFARIKID is 100% correct about Bear Lake Lodge. I was there in the fall of '05 and had the time of my life. An absolutely awesome operation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to break the bank, only wound it, SE Alaska is the place. Try Alaskaravenguides.com. Scott and Dustin will put you on many 9'+ browns. Great trip and fun hunt with some good folks. PM if you want additional info.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree Southeast is a great place .Boat based hunts with showers at night Most hunts thirty to sixty bears seen and weather is certainly better in spring. Brown bear guides all have at least ten years experience due to moratorium on bear hunts.

outfitter,southeast Alaska, brown bear, black bear ,mt goat

Posts: 66 | Location: southeast alaska | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
I took one just under 10'' and mounted some that were guided by Kelly Vren. Top notch.If you want a great hunt, it will cost you some bucks. You will have to google for a contact # Good Luck fishing

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote