Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted
Grizzly hunt with Fourtyonesix.

Guide Jake Jefferson
Black River Hunting Camps LLC
www.alaska-bearhunting.com
Gun 375 H&H (probably should have taken the 30-06)
Hunt dates September 30 to October 7.

I was checking my rifle case a couple of weeks prior to the hunt I realized I did not have a key to lock the case. I found a locksmith who gave me a handcuff key so I could lock the case for TSA.

September 28 I flew Alaska Air, Boston to Seattle to Anchorage. I wanted to be there a day early just in case my luggage did not make it on time. Planning makes a difference. Everything arrived with me on time. TSA was no problem.

Thursday I went to Rabbit Creek rifle range. They were very helpful. I brought a 375 H&H for the hunt. The night before I flew I loaded 300gr Sierra Game King in front of 77gr of IMR 4350. These loads were proofed by me a week prior to the hunt, 100 yrd 1” groups. (From a Lead Sled) 12 When I got to Rabbit Creek range I almost didn’t find the first bullet on the target. The second bullet was 14” away from the first. I was very scared. All this time and effort and the rifle didn’t have minute of pizza box accuracy. I texted Jake to ask if he had a gun I could use. He texted back yes but, I should check my scope rings. Sure enough the rings were loose. The ring screws were not just loose they were broken. Probable to much time on the Lead Sled. Because it was late in the day, I went to Cabela’s and had a new set of rings put on the gun. When we got to camp Friday the gun was giving me 2” groups shooting off of sticks. I was happy again.

Thursday, The wind was bad on the 30th so we were not able to get to the hunt area till October 1st.

Friday, Jake picked me up at the Enterprise Rental Car in Anchorage. We drove to Big Lake Airport outside Wasilla. We loaded both planes and flew southwest down the coast. Just before we landed my pilot tried to point out 3 big bull moose in the alders. I could only see one of the bulls. Of course, moose season was over. Anyway, you couldn’t get to these moose for all the alders. We landed beside a glacial river and setup camp just to the side of the runway. The tent was a very comfortable Teepee style tent with a wood stove. No fly and hunt so we missed the hunt on the 1st.

Saturday, because I am a Seventh-day Adventist I did not hunt on the 2nd.

Sunday, we walked about a mile down the river on the gravel bars to a clear river stream. We spent the day fishing and waiting for bears. Lots of bear tracks and dead fish but no bears that day.

Monday, we went back down the river to the clear stream but this time we walked up the stream to find a hide above the stream with a view up down and across the stream. Another beautiful day watching an immature Bald Eagle eating fish scraps but no bears on Monday.

Tuesday, we walked up the glacial river to a closer clear stream holding Salmon. This day we saw a 7’ young bear. That night Jake was taking some personal time looking out over the river and saw what he guessed to be an 8+ bear. But the bear was quicker than both of us so, Jake said we would setup for that bear the next day.

Wednesday, the wind was blowing down the river so we setup just below the area where Jake had seen the bear cross the river. It was a long day but No Bear on Wednesday.

Thursday, was packing day. Since it was very foggy both of us were taking time between packing to look up and down the river for the shot on the last day. No bear on Thursday. We loaded the planes about noon and headed back to Big Lake. Again, we saw some moose on the flight out. When we got back to Big Lake we loaded up Jake’s truck and he drove me back to the Anchorage airport where I was able to catch the 7:10pm flight back to Boston. Again, no problems with TSA on the return.

I had a great time with Jake. He was extremely accommodating and told fun stories about his life as an Alaskan guide. He is currently working on obtaining his commercial pilot license so he can fly out his clients. Probably already has his commercial license by the time I post this. At the time I hunted with Jake he had another pilot fly me to camp and back. I am looking forward to hunting with Jake again.
Tim

young bear

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Jake is a good guy, with a great attitude and fantastic perspective on life. I hope I get to hunt with him again in the future.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Jake is the real deal when it comes to AK guides. He gives 110% effort every single day. I've been on 2 baited grizzly hunts with him. He has the bears hitting the baits. We killed 2 grizzlies & 1 black bear. I'm seriously thinking of doing another grizzly hunt with but this time it would be either a tundra spot & stalk or hunting a salmon stream. Jake knows grizzly. Bob

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jake is the real deal when it comes to AK guides.

And, a very decent human being to boot! tu2

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Glad you enjoyed your time with Jake - he's a great guy (Hi Jake!).

Super smart going to the Rabbit Creek range to test out your gun prior to the hunt. I used to live just up the hill from there. It is a public range and the day use fees are quite reasonable.

For anyone traveling through Anchorage to a hunt, there are several good gunsmiths in town who can help you out with problems. My personal experience is with Steve Untiet at Alaska Custom Firearms. If you were in a bind, I'm sure he would take care of you. His shop is on the same side of town as Cabela's. And if you have time to kill, swing by his shop - he always has some interesting gun for sale out front.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote