New
Find
Notify
Tools

4 season camping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need some help from all of the alaskan's. I've seen in "Alaska" magazine what looks like some very light weight shelters that are yellow in color. Does anyone know the manufacturer? We would like to set up a camp in the Adirondack Mtns of NY, but dont want to drag in a heavy canvas. I know Kifaru makes some light weight tipi's and shelters but I thought I'd also check here.
Thanks for your help

Posts: 29 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not the lightest thing around, but these are what a lot of Alaskans use:

http://www.alaskatent.com/products/tents/arctic_oven.htm

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stalker:
Yup! Most likely it's an Arctic Oven made by Ak. Tent & Tarp. I've got one & it is top of the line IMO. Took it to Afognak Island in Oct. a couple of years ago We were warm & snug when the lousy weather hit us. High winds, some snow & sleet. We were tent bound for about 40% of the time we were there. One thing, you'll probably find it a bit expensive. I understand it's used by quite a few trappers & mushers too. Mine is the 10'x10' umbrella style. Total weight of the outer shell, inner liner & poles is about 60 lbs. as I recall and it's very easy to put up and it all goes into a large stuff bag. 1 guy can do it. With the wood stove, all of the parts are stored in the stove
I'm originally from upstate N.Y. so am familiar with the Adirondacks. An Arctic Oven would be perfect for that country. You're gonna wanna get it with a wood stove though. Hope this helps some. Go to the link akpals provided. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stalker,

I lived in Alaska for a long time and we used to think that camping out at 2-30 below was fun. All but one time we used a North Face tent. The VE-25 model seemed to be about the right size for 2 people trying to do a light weight trip. Whatever you buy you can't afford bargain basement trips when the temps will be really low.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll check out the website. Hopefully it will fit the bill. We want to set up a hunting camp back in to avoid the long walks everyday. (time consuming)

Stalker

Posts: 29 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out kifaru tipis come highly recomended...I haven't used one though, so buyer beware.. I think it's essential on any extended trip to be able to get someplace dry and dry out your clothes.

the chef

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Whatever you get, think woodstove.

The real question is, how heavy do you want the outfit to be, and how big?

I'm going to get a ti-goat titatium stove and add a jacket to my black diamond megamid for a sub 10 pound tent that will be theoretically 4 season, I don't plan to use it in severe winter temps. The megamid is called a 4 person tent, but with the stove and gear, I'd call it a two man with room to stretch. Also with the ti-goat stove, it's much less expensive than an equivalent tipi.

The arctic oven is not a backpacking tent! but if you want serious shelter for serious weather, it is the way to go.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
The most economical and comfortable is a wall tent with a army surplus woodstove. If you setup a huge rainfly the woodpile and the floor stay dry as well. This has worked for me and my cohorts on Shuyak,Afognak,and around here forever.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Canadian army surplus cold weather tent. It comes with a multi fuel stove. It can burn wood, gas, kerosene, jet fuel, used oil etc. Supposed to be able to keep a tent at 60 degrees for 18 hours on 5 gallons of gas at an outside temp of 32 degrees F. It's a six man tent but is perfect for two. My only complaint is the size of the door but in cold weather it's good to have a smaller door. It also needs a tarp for wet weather. I love the way it sets up with one center pole and it's packable by one guy but the stove would take a second trip--not lightweight for sure.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Arctic Oven 10x10 w/ wood stove. Not a backpacker by any means but dam warm & dry!! The only thing I would have them do different will be add a screened zip closed window in the tent w/matching clear spot on the rain fly. Just too dam hot @10-30 degrees during moose season!! The fabric does not condensate inside as advertised. cheers

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is not better cold weather tent made than the Arctic Oven. I have owned one since about 1992 and they are worth double what they sell for. Two people with cots can stay in one of these tents for weeks at a time.
Hint: If you camp anywhere where firewood is hard to find or of low quality buy some of the commerical fireplace logs. Cut up into small chunks and toss one into the wood stove anytime you need a quick warming up. A double mantle latern will keep the tent at about 60F when the outside temperature drops down to about 15F or higher.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stalker....Golite tents.

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Think woodstove, unless...

...there ain't gonna be wood were your hunting. Smiler

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
A flashlite overlooking PWS isn't winter camping!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Arctic Ovens are great except for weight. We have two....The Arctic Oven Pup is a 7x10foot A frame on steroids and sleeps three with a Coleman lantern keeping the thing usefully warm even at -40C. It won't take a wood stove.

The Arctica takes a wood stove and is 12x13 big enough for four to live in. here is me and my boy in ours with our homemade woodstove.

here it is in the backyard
]http://www.hunt101.com/img/322641.JPG[/img]

Here is the Empire canvas wedge tent 8X11 and at 17 pounds much more portable and warm enough with wood heat going. this was taken two days ago where my family of four did a comfortable snowshoe overnight trip.

Posts: 111 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 13 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oops that is my girl in the first shot and I must have messed up the second as I have no idea what that is. Stay tuned.

Posts: 111 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 13 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this. The Arctika in our backyard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup! Looks like the one I have too.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am interested in the military tents you guys are talking about. What kind of price do these sell for and where can I get one or look at one.
Thanks,
Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Milarm in Edmonton, ALTA Canada had Canadian Army tents with the stove jack. Fairly light but the dark green color is very cheerless and doesn't reflect or allow for much light.

I sold mine...goes up with one pole and a wack of tethers. Think it was around 200.00 Canadian and I needed to do a few repairs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what the 5 man canadian tent look like. Poor bastards in the military. dark in the winter and stifling on a hot day. The fabric is designed to melt when contacting a spark so bring a patch kit.