THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Clothes for hunting Malchatna Caribou

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clothes for hunting Malchatna Caribou
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm planning a trip to hunt the Malchatna herd the last part of September. Any advise on best gear (clothes-wise)?

I'm thinking a polypro base layer, with some kind of performance fleece over it, with quiet, waterproof outer layer. Any preferences or input on this?

Also, I've read/heard that hip boots are sometimes recommended. Being from a place where that usually means really tall cowboy boots, I don't know ANYTHING about them. Are they required? What kind do you use? Are these similar to waders used for waterfowl hunting? Do you carry them with you and just put them on when you need them, or do you wear them all day?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wear layers of ploypros and fleece with my rain gear as a shell. End of Sept, its gonna start to get chilly at night, probably with light layer of ice on the lakes so plan accordingly. Look into frog toggs. Lightweight, cuts wind, good stuff.

Bring hip waders. One year I didnt and it bit me in the ass. The float plane couldnt get close enough to shore. Being the timeframe your planning on going you will probably be using wheels but bring them anyways. When I fly out on wheels I will usually leave them at the landing strip. If I need them great, if not its cheap insurance. I use elcheapo hip waders ($30 at walmart), but use Lacrosse ankle fit knee boots. The knee boots I usually wear all day but the hippers, I will change into normal boots.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote