New
Find
Notify
Tools

4 months away
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am more or less 4 months away from heading out on a Dall sheep hunt with Big Game Back Country Guides. I picked the most physically difficult hunt, which at the tender age of 60 and hailing from the sea level flat lands of Florida may well prove just how stupid I really am.

My training is going really well. I am up to 57 pounds in my pack. I have started going to a different hill on the golf course to train. It is probably 4-5 times the size of the hill that I have used to train on my last 2 hunts. I am hoping that makes a difference.

This hunt is expected to be pretty challenging. I am told that expect a 2 day hike to get to the valley we are going to.

This will be the first hunt of the year starting 8/10.

I have a few questions for you experts.

1- Should I carry 1 trekking pole or 2? I do not have the world's greatest sense of balance. I am leaning toward 2.

2- I have not trained with my trekking poles. Do you think I should?

3- One water bottle or 2?

4- I have some day packs with little pouches on the belt straps. My pack has no such pouches. It is from Barney's. Does anyone have any recommendations for pouches I can attach? I want to have a pouch that I can put a few small items in for easy reach. Things like chap-stick.

5- Considering I have less than 100 feet of altitude to train in and my biggest hill is the tee box on the 4th hole, I am thinking of trying to make up for it by training with heavier weights. Does this seem like a good idea? How heavy do you think I should go?

6- The terrain here is relatively smooth. We have no rocks. Any ideas on a training method to condition myself for rough terrain?

7- I am taking my Rifles, Inc 300 Win Mag. I plan on using Accubonds. 180 or 200 grain? FYI, I am also getting a grizzly license.

8-I am planning on taking 30 -40 yards of fishing line to use if we get stuck and need
food or maybe if we are in the right place and weathered in. Fresh fish sounds a hell of a lot better than Mountain House. Should I take lures or hooks? Any advice on the type lure or size of the hooks?

9- What would your recommendation be for snacks that have the most calories per ounce? I am thinking of little cups of peanut butter.

10- Recommendations for getting the meat back to FL in good shape would be appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I'm not an expert but I'm jealous. Have been since we talked at Charl's booth at SCI. I'll give you my take based on my limited sheep hunting and lots of military time.

1/2. Take two and use them while training. They will save your knees going downhill. I use the Black Diamond carbon models and love them to death.

3. Take two. If water is plentiful then leave one empty to save weight.

5. I'd be careful using too much weight. If you injure yourself then the season is over. Just keep doing what you are doing and when you get there if you have to go slower and take breaks then so be it.

6. Use stairs. One thing I did this year that really paid off was going to the Appalachians for 5 days right before my hunt. Did some 5-8 mile hikes with 45 pounds. I was sore there a couple of days but when I got to Alaska I had zero issues. Worth it if you can swing the time.

9. Jerky is always a good calorie to weight snack. And I always take some type of powdered sports mix to put in my water once a day. Keeps the electrolytes in balance.

If you have a good time and like the outfit I'm going to book next year. I like sheep hunting and at 55 I know what you are going through.

Regards,

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much weight did you train with Don?

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Regarding your meat. The quickest way to get the meat home is to just take it as luggage...IF...you are able to freeze it before you go. We have people take meat home all the time that kill bears with us or relatives taking moose meat home or whatever. It's a little thawed by the time it gets there but it's perfectly fine packed in a fish box or something similar.

There is no reason to go from 180 to 200 grains just because you are getting a grizzly tag. Personally...I like the 180 grain bullet because it will be flatter shooting at your sheep but still be able to take a grizzly cleanly. These are grizzly..not Kodiak Brown Bear...180 grains is just fine.

One water bottle should be fine because there should be...should be...a lot of places to fill it up as you go in sheep country (unless your guide says different). If your water bottle has an internal filter even better. If not...most of the streams flowing straight out of the mountains are just fine for drinking...they are not stagnant at all. Sheep and goat hunting is all about weight management and water weighs about 8 lbs a gallon, so the less you have to carry the better. Just a thought.

Fishing...If you are taking some fishing line I would take a few MEPP Spinners or something similar. They weigh nothing but most of the freshwater fish up here bite those no matter the species.

I have seen/hunted with guys taking two trek poles or just one. It doesn't matter...although taking one does allow your up-hill hand to be free to grab rocks and such when you are side hilling. Of course you can just put that extra pole in your pack if you have two. It's just personal preference.

Snacks...Salami and cheese vacuumed sealed. Good source of calories and tastes good. If you want to meet up before you go I can hook you up with some moose salami that will knock your socks off.

Peyton

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, good luck on your sheep hunt and your preparation for said hunt. Sounds like you are doing the right things getting your body in shape. I know Riley, and some of the guys that work for him, they are good guys.

I also guide sheep hunters, and here are a few things I would suggest from your list of questions.

1. The trekking pole thing is personal preference. I use an ice axe as my trekking pole, but would only use one if I were to use a traditional trekking pole. As another poster mentioned, I like to have one free hand to use for balance, especially when climbing through the rocks.

2. When your training, it might not be a bad idea to have one trekking pole, just to get used to the feel of having it in your hand.

3. I would go with one water bottle, but would also bring a couple of the lightweight platypus bladders. These are super light, able to be rolled up, and will be of great help if you are in a place where water is hard to find. All mountains are different, in some areas there is an abundance of water, and in other areas, when you get out of the main valley bottom, water is non existent, which means you are bringing as much water as possible to last a couple days. I've also gone to using the Platypus bladder with the drinking hoses. I think this is beneficial, especially in hot weather, to keeping hydrated as you hike, and not just drinking when you stop for breaks.

4. Can't help ya here. I roll with a Barneys pack as well, and when I want something that I don't keep in my pants pockets, I drop the pack and get it.

5. I wouldn't train with anymore than 70 lbs, but I think you have the right idea. To make up for the lack of hills, find some stadium stairs, and climb up and down those suckers all day long. Its just important to train your legs muscles for the downhill hiking, as it is to train them for the climbing.

6. I can't help ya like this, but if you can figure out how to train for rough terrain and rocks, this would be greatly beneficial for you. The absolute number one thing that my clients have had difficulty with, is getting used to bouldering through the rocks and uneven terrain. Balance is of great importance in this regard.

7. Stick with the 180 grain. Flatter shooting for the sheep, and a grizzly won't know the difference. But, if your rifle shoots the 200 grainers better, that might also be a consideration.

8. While in principle this is a good idea, I don't think its gonna be too practical. If you get weathered in, you probably won't want to be out fishing due to said weather. This just seems like a little extra weight to me, and ounces count. Get used to Mountain House, it is the mainstay of sheep hunters.

9. I like beef jerky myself.

10. Drop the meat off at my place in Anchorage, and I'll make sure it doesn't go to waste!!! haha, ok, in all seriousness, can't help ya too much here (unless you really do want to drop it off), but I think the idea to freeze it and check it as additional baggage is the best way to go.

I wish you the best of luck on your hunt, and if you have any more questions, shoot them our way!!!

Josh

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smoked salmon is by far the most
Impressive sheep hunting snack out there!!

I will also go out on a limb, and say sheep are not the hardest hunt out there. Don't mentally beat yourself with that stick. My worst hunts I've ever done have still been kodiak brown bear hunts. Dall sheep I would say is easier. But like anything, I've had easy ones of both. But as far as my worst of both...hands down brown bear.

I'd take some small black flies in your fishing kit.
One water bottle.
Stairs are a great trainer work just as hard at going up as going down!!
Have fun.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take some type of walking aid I use a single staff. It has saved my butt more then once from a fall.

A bi-pod isn't as steady as a tri-pod.

Make sure you buy quality tracking poles having one collapse at the wrong moment could lead to a serious fall.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Smoked salmon is by far the most
Impressive sheep hunting snack out there!!

I will also go out on a limb, and say sheep are not the hardest hunt out there. Don't mentally beat yourself with that stick. My worst hunts I've ever done have still been kodiak brown bear hunts. Dall sheep I would say is easier. But like anything, I've had easy ones of both. But as far as my worst of both...hands down brown bear.

I'd take some small black flies in your fishing kit.
One water bottle.
Stairs are a great trainer work just as hard at going up as going down!!
Have fun.

I was referring to the options with Riley.

Now you have scared me. I am doing brown bear next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adventure907:

7. Stick with the 180 grain. Flatter shooting for the sheep, and a grizzly won't know the difference. But, if your rifle shoots the 200 grainers better, that might also be a consideration.

Josh

Josh:

Thanks for the info.

With respect to the bullet weight, I was thinking the 200 grain might be better in the wind. Do you think it makes that much difference?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Adventure907:

Josh

Josh:

Thanks for the info.

With respect to the bullet weight, I was thinking the 200 grain might be better in the wind. Do you think it makes that much difference?

I don't think 20 grains is going to make that much difference in the wind. If the ballistic coefficient of one bullet is markedly greater than the other, then it may be a bit more noticeable. But, for all intents and purposes, I would go with whatever bullet your particular rifle happens to shoot better.

Josh

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am more or less 4 months away from heading out on a Dall sheep hunt with Big Game Back Country Guides. I picked the most physically difficult hunt, which at the tender age of 60 and hailing from the sea level flat lands of Florida may well prove just how stupid I really am.

My training is going really well. I am up to 57 pounds in my pack. I have started going to a different hill on the golf course to train. It is probably 4-5 times the size of the hill that I have used to train on my last 2 hunts. I am hoping that makes a difference.

This hunt is expected to be pretty challenging. I am told that expect a 2 day hike to get to the valley we are going to.

This will be the first hunt of the year starting 8/10.

I have a few questions for you experts.

1- Should I carry 1 trekking pole or 2? I do not have the world's greatest sense of balance. I am leaning toward 2.

2- I have not trained with my trekking poles. Do you think I should?

3- One water bottle or 2?

4- I have some day packs with little pouches on the belt straps. My pack has no such pouches. It is from Barney's. Does anyone have any recommendations for pouches I can attach? I want to have a pouch that I can put a few small items in for easy reach. Things like chap-stick.

5- Considering I have less than 100 feet of altitude to train in and my biggest hill is the tee box on the 4th hole, I am thinking of trying to make up for it by training with heavier weights. Does this seem like a good idea? How heavy do you think I should go?

6- The terrain here is relatively smooth. We have no rocks. Any ideas on a training method to condition myself for rough terrain?

7- I am taking my Rifles, Inc 300 Win Mag. I plan on using Accubonds. 180 or 200 grain? FYI, I am also getting a grizzly license.

8-I am planning on taking 30 -40 yards of fishing line to use if we get stuck and need
food or maybe if we are in the right place and weathered in. Fresh fish sounds a hell of a lot better than Mountain House. Should I take lures or hooks? Any advice on the type lure or size of the hooks?

9- What would your recommendation be for snacks that have the most calories per ounce? I am thinking of little cups of peanut butter.

10- Recommendations for getting the meat back to FL in good shape would be appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance.

1&2)

Take two poles and use them when you train as well. You can really get into a rhythm with them. They not only help with stability but also help preserve your knees going downhill and also can help drive your weight uphill when you plant them at a 45 degree angle behind each stride. This becomes second nature when you train with them.

When side hilling take the time to shorten your uphill pole. If you haven't bought your poles yet be sure they are cam-loc and not twist lock.

3) Camelback!! You will do a better job of staying hydrated because the sipping nozzle is right there and you don't have to stop and pull water out. At our age you have to stay very hydrated or you will cramp at night. Also use electrolyte tabs in the water.

4) I use pants and shirt pockets for little stuff.

5) No!! Forget the heavier weights. Train with the weight you will be expected to carry. It's a guided hunt and you likely will not be carrying your meat, wet cape, and horns out yourself.

That said, you can definitely carry way more weight then you ever thought with a good pack like the Barney's Yukon. My pack was crazy heavy coming two days out of the mountains with Brett and Jena also sharing some weight.

You'll be high from the hunt itself and "embracing the suck" is a mental strength.

6)

Take a day trip or two to some woods near you. Any cobblestone roads around?

7)

Pick the flattest shooting bullet your rifle shoots best. Sheep die easily and Arctic Grizzly aren't that big.

8) Small Mepps spinners.

9) Macadamia Nuts = 200 cal. per ounce but split them into individual zip locks for your day's limit. They are like crack once you start in on them. Separating a days ration will help you not eat them all at once.

10) Indian Valley Meats outside Anchorage. Are you headed this way? depending on whether I'm hunting at the time I can help you out.

Cheers
Jim

Just to amp you up......

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Joyce said to tell you she would be happy to keep your Sheep meat in our freezer. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might get that chance Jim.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am also preparing for a mountain hunt in June.
-I carry one water bottle with a filter for everything (Katadyn MyBottle Microfilter Bottle Purification System).
-Also shooting .300 WM. Opted for 200 grain ELDx bullets cause they shoot great.
-Spending LOTS of time on the stair machine and doing CORE exercises.
-Diamondback 4 season tent. 3 pounds.
-Javelin Bipod. 5 oz. Incredible shooting tool!!
-Candy bars for snacks cause I'm old school.
-Skinner Sights(www.skinnersights.com) soft case for my rifle. Protects it on my pack. Weighs very little.

Have fun training and shooting!

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry

I'm quite envious.... it's been a few decades since I was last in Alaska but have done a few backpack hunts in the South Island of New Zealand.

I prefer one tracking pole, simply to save weight & to be able to better handle my rifle with a free hand.

A camelback has been quite useful in the past, simply fill it up and through it on top of your gear under the pack's lid. I've also used a cheap plastic bottle as a spare water bottle, until it's been used as a piss bottle when your tent bound in awful weather.

I prefer to wear a small canvas pouch on my trouser belt that way I've got my essentials on me at all times - flash light, lighters, spare batteries, medication, a few rounds of ammo etc.

I got similar challenges living in Sydney, I'm at sea level with not many hills to train on. In the past I've used water bottles as ballast in my pack to train with. I usually work up to 30 litres. To make up for the lack of hills, I've used the stairs in my office tower & various other stair wells to march up and down. Again, I work up to using heavy loads on the stair wells.

Over the years I've become ruthless about the gear I carry on these hunts. Heavy packs are made up of many light bits of gear - so take only the minimum essential gear.

Good luck - can't wait to hear about your successful hunt.

Regards
Jim

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Larry, Your in for it with Riley. He is a sheep hunting machine. And I'm sure that's how his business is run. Hit the beach bear footed it's the closest thing you can do to condition your feet. Add a pack with weight and walk the soft sand. I used the cabela's walking sticks and they were great. The hardest part I had was walking out with a loaded pack. My feet hurt!!!When I hit the hanger My pack was a 100lbs. But by then you don't feel the pain. The best thing is to talk to Riley and ask questions, he will tell you what you need, not us! He's a great guy with a heart for sheep hunting, enjoy and good LUCK!! Hunter

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I've been lucky to have been on several full-blown backpack sheep hunts and have some opinions on what works for me.

I use 2 poles when hiking in steep terrain with a load on my back. It saves the knees and helps with balance in all types of terrain. I train with them too.

I take two water bottles but only like to keep one filled while hiking. This saves on weight but allows me to fill two in the evenings for cooking, drinking, brushing teeth etc.

Always work up to a training pack-load of more wight than you'll travel with during hunt but BE CAREFUL and take it slowly so you don't get injured. Don't go too big too fast or you'll pay the price and some of the injuring could take those last 4 months until your hunt just to recover and get back to where you are now.

Try to peak a week or two before your hunt and then taper off.... like a marathon trainer (of which I have some experience). Keep walking and hiking but lay off the heavy weights and huge distances. You'll be glad you did.

You're in for a glorious time which will be enhanced by proper conditioning and preparation.... but you know what you're doing so I have no doubts about you.

Very best you you!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

Four months from today, I will be on the plane from Anchorage to Deadhorse. Hopefully the weather will permit us to make it to the mountains in the small planes.

Training is going well,very well. I am at 57 pounds in the pack. I am probably doing that 3-4 times a week with other cardio 2-3 times per week . I have not gone beyond 75 minutes yet. I am going to start long hikes on Sunday's . Probably 3 hours.

I hope to make it to 65-70 pounds.

I am sure many of you from mountainous areas would laugh at my training . I am walking to the 4th tee on the golf course and climbing up the elevated tee box. It is 45 steps to the top. It is the best I have.

In addition ,at the tender age of 60, I am lifting heavier weights than I ever have.

My biggest problem is my weight . In spite of exercising a hell of a lot and eating healthier than I ever have, I weight more than I ever have. I spent 4 days in Mayo Clinic trying to find out why. They found nothing . I have found a local specialist who believes chronic stress and lack of sleep is the problem. I hope to lose some before I go. It would help I am sure.

Thank again.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you all.

Four months from today, I will be on the plane from Anchorage to Deadhorse. Hopefully the weather will permit us to make it to the mountains in the small planes.

Training is going well,very well. I am at 57 pounds in the pack. I am probably doing that 3-4 times a week with other cardio 2-3 times per week . I have not gone beyond 75 minutes yet. I am going to start long hikes on Sunday's . Probably 3 hours.

I hope to make it to 65-70 pounds.

I am sure many of you from mountainous areas would laugh at my training . I am walking to the 4th tee on the golf course and climbing up the elevated tee box. It is 45 steps to the top. It is the best I have.

In addition ,at the tender age of 60, I am lifting heavier weights than I ever have.

My biggest problem is my weight . In spite of exercising a hell of a lot and eating healthier than I ever have, I weight more than I ever have. I spent 4 days in Mayo Clinic trying to find out why. They found nothing . I have found a local specialist who believes chronic stress and lack of sleep is the problem. I hope to lose some before I go. It would help I am sure.

Thank again.

Booze, Brother, Booze. If I stop it completely the weight falls off itself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rarely drink. When I drank a lot more, I weighed a lot less

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I rarely drink. When I drank a lot more, I weighed a lot less

No charge for the diagnosis or prescription. I recommend replacing your Crown with Burbon. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are in Vegasfor a concert. I took off to the mountains for a hike. I last did this hike during the SCI convention. I have definitely made a lot of progress since then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
You already know this but a 10 hour day is an whole other animal from a 57 minute sprint-type workout.

Make sure you throw in one or two days per week of 3, 4, or even 8 hour long hikes or walks with some kind of weight on your back.

Not every session needs to be done with 57 pounds in your pack! I like some 3-4 hour speed hikes in the mountains with just a pistol, binoculars and water in my day-pack. It breaks up the monotony.

You can't over-train unless you injure yourself so keep after it and mix it up.

I'm already looking forward to your report. (if I would learn how to post pics then I would share some of my 2015 backpack bighorn hunt and preparation for same)

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to start going long on Sunday's. My workload sucks really badly until 6/30. If I can, I am going to thrown in a few walks at night with the pack. Working LONG hours now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Sorry that I overloaded your email with pics and my links but you can cherry-pick and look at or read whatever you want.
Best of luck during this very busy time of year for you.
You're in for a fabulous hunt!
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pack is up to 63 pounds now. I feel like I am ready right now.

My biggest problem has been gaining weight for no apparent reason. The doctors have found a treatable issue. In the first week on the medication, I have started dropping weight. Given what I eat and how much I exercise, I should be emaciated. I am hopeful.

I am going to start long days on Sundays. 8-10 miles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lack of sleep is very bad for you in many ways...but it is a terrible stressor for the body and creates a lot of cortisol...and that causes much weight gain. Get at least 8 hours of solid rest each night and another helpful aid may be to try intermittent fasting...basically fasting for 16 hours and getting your meals in during the other 8 hours...preferably around your training cycle hours. Believe me, it will knock the weight off quickly. Cycling carbs is another option, with 3 days moderate amount of carbs, 2 days very low carbs and 2 days high carbs days(preferably on days of extreme training). Get that extra weight off before you go...you will be so glad you did. Good luck.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had sleep problems for many many years. No doubt that is part of the problem as is a chronically stressful life. The treatment prescribed is working. I have dropped about 10 pounds since it started. I only have 88 days until I leave.

I just got back in town. I hoofed it an hour and a half with 66 pounds in the pack in fairly high heat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Climbing poles also work great as shooting sticks, put your hand thru strap turn hand upside down rest your rifle in your palm very stable and nothing xtra to carry. I prefer a moderate recoil rifle for sheep as shot angles can be extreme which may result in scope cuts, bad thing on a Mtn. hunt far from home.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kk alaska:
Climbing poles also work great as shooting sticks, put your hand thru strap turn hand upside down rest your rifle in your palm very stable and nothing xtra to carry. I prefer a moderate recoil rifle for sheep as shot angles can be extreme which may result in scope cuts, bad thing on a Mtn. hunt far from home.

I have thought about this vert thing after my last sheep hunt in the NWT. I left my pole laying on the ground ( one of the new pair given to me by my wife) on final approach. It is still lying there. I desperately needed a rest with all the huffing and puffing. I will never leave one laying on the ground again. It is always going with me.

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have thought about this vert thing after my last sheep hunt in the NWT. I left my pole laying on the ground ( one of the new pair given to me by my wife) on final approach. It is still lying there. I desperately needed a rest with all the huffing and puffing. I will never leave one laying on the ground again. It is always going with me.

Hi Larry,

I would check out these bi-pods:

http://javelinbipod.com/collections/bipods

These things are light-weight as all get out and mount easily to the sling stud on your rifle via powerful magnets.

I just ordered on myself and I think they are going to be the ticket for mountain hunts.

My other bi-pods are just too heavy to consider taking on a backpack style hunt.

Hope this helps, sounds like you've been working your ass off. It's going to pay off big time!

Chris

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have your climbing poles with you they work great as shooting aids no need for xtra stuff and weight. Got into several sub legal Rams years ago unloaded rifle and easily held on neck and head
and neck at 200 plus yards. Try them they work better than you think and at all angles.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishN4Eyes:
quote:
quote:

Hi Larry,

I would check out these bi-pods:

http://javelinbipod.com/collections/bipods

These things are light-weight as all get out and mount easily to the sling stud on your rifle via powerful magnets.

I just ordered on myself and I think they are going to be the ticket for mountain hunts.

My other bi-pods are just too heavy to consider taking on a backpack style hunt.

Hope this helps, sounds like you've been working your ass off. It's going to pay off big time!

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I think the Javelin may not work on my rifle. The sling mount is not on the bottom like most rifle. It is on the front end of the forearm.

I might be up your way soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Javelin bipod for over a year. Nothing else compares. Extremely light, quick. Took it to Kyrgy last October and will use it in Azerbaijan this June.

I had a local leather shop make a sheath. I carry it on my belt until I'm ready to shoot.

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I am now 60 days away. I have been hitting it hard. I am pleased with my progress.

I am so damn busy I have not been able to shoot . Things will calm down come 7/1. At least business wise.

It is so hot now that I am cutting my long day off at 3 hours. I weighed myself the other day. Ate breakfast and took off. I drank 3 bottle of G-2 on the way. I was still down 5 pounds when I got done .

I have an insane amount of business travel in the next 30 days. Then we have a week in Argentina duck hunting . I am a bit concerned how this will affect my training .

I am going to start packing right after our return from Argentina just in case my wife has organized things and I can't find them.

I am looking for a small bag that I can attach to the belt of my pack to hold a few small things . I am not having much luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am looking for a small bag that I can attach to the belt of my pack to hold a few small things

Try the Sportsmans guide they have this kind of stuff

Something like this

http://www.sportsmansguide.com...-pack-used?a=2049439

or this

http://www.sportsmansguide.com...mp-pouches?a=1837024

Also Feildline products at wally world has a bunch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks .

Those are larger than I am looking for. Ideally what I would like is something the size of 2 or 3 I phones stacked on top of each other.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found all kinds of small cases at GoodWill.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
How's the training going Larry ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2286 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today, not too good. it is pouring. I was a half mile from the house when the flood dates opened.

Otherwise ,pretty well. I am lifting more than I ever have. My cardio is going well. I am up to 67 pounds in the pack.

Of course, being from the sea level flat lands doesn't help. All I can do is try.

My biggest problem is my weight. It has gone up for no apparent reason. I say this after eating better than I ever have and exercising 2 or more hours a day. The doctors have diagnosed a problem. The question is whether or not I have enough time before the hunt.