New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-resident Caribou questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm planning a drop-camp-type caribou hunt for next fall, and thought you Alaskans might be willing to share some knowledge and advise??

First, the parameters: 1) has to be affordable (around $2000). 2) Not really interested in mountain caribou, but would like to hunt the big, rolling-hilled tundra (NOT the Peninsula). 3)Open to non-residents.

Where To Go: Upon looking at some websites, it appears the Mulchatna herd might be the only one availble for non-residents? The fortymile and Nelchina herds are said to be closed to us carpetbaggers... Link to information

What is the range of the Malchatna herd (I'll need names of towns/lakes, etc since I don't know Alaska very well)? What is the terrain like? When is the best time to hunt there? When do the bugs go away (if a problem at all)? When do the caribou shed their velvet? Is there fishing available in that area?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would gladly provide any information you wanted on hunting in Texas. I hope you'll be willing to do the same. I have wanted to hunt Alaska for some time, and the caribou is probably the only species I can afford to hunt.

Thanks!

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trademark,

I've hunted the Mulchatna herd, and can give you some info...don't have time to post about it now, I'll shoot you a PM...

dave

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trademark,

I have lived in the middle of and hunted the Mulchatna herd for 22 years. I don't book for drop off hunts but I can recommend a couple of people to contact that specialize in just that. I have trusted my life to these guys on several occasions and will do so again. Give me a call and I'll fill you in on everything you need to know.

Good Hunting,

Mark

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Is the $2k to cover r/t to AK, non res license, non-res tags, and transportation to from the bush? You just may need to add another 25-50% to cover all your costs, just the r/t to AK and non rese license tags can eat up nearly $1500.

A buddy has used Talon Air out of Soldotna several times and gives them high marks. They charge $1200 for a drop hunt, but that includes flying your meat back out. Beware of seemingly great deals, as there may be higher fees to transport your meat back out.

Bulls well into the rut can be inedible, so you should plan your hunt accordingly. Bugs leave when the snow comes. The rut occurs before the snow comes. Plan on bugs. I personally find mosquitos more of an annoyance than a problem, but no-seeums and black socks are a most unpleasant critter.

Most lakes and rivers have fish, so if you're camped near one, bring a fly rod or spinning reel.

Tundra is more difficult and tiring to travel over than solid ground. A pair of ankle fit hip waders or chest waders are always good to take on a hunt, especially with fishing planned as well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote