New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear hunt for 2007
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have booked a Grizzly hunt in Alaska with Jim Smith of Alaska Extreme Adventures and Safaris.
We will be hunting out of Nome Alaska in April of 2007.
My rifle of choice will be my Blaser R 93 in 300 Win Mag.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Great!! Hope you have a blessed hunt. Are you sure you don't want more gun??? You should have a great time...... Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a perfect mauling looking for a time and date to me with a pee shooter for big bear.

I'd never consider it with less than a .375, and nothing less than .44 mag on my hip both. Beside's that, I'd have company along too. Even to the crapper tree.

You need to go look at the bear's victim on the big game section: who say's bears aren't dangerous.

Impressive pictures. Anyone heading up north for bear, needs to look these over.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
The .300 will work fine. It's enough for the coastol bears and perfect for interior griz.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
300 will work fine. Lighten up Georgeld, he is just excited about his trip.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were going Grizley bear hunting I would use my 375 H&H or my 416 Rem Mag. I am going Black Bear hunting in Aug. using my 300 Win Mag.
but a black bear is NOT a Grizley bear.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen;
Thanks for the advice. I too prefer a "bigger" gun. I have available a 375 Blaser R 93, my 9,3x74R Chapuis, and my 450/400 double which will be scoped by the time I leave for this trip.

Since we will be traveling by snowmobile I feel the plastic stock Blaser is the better choice, also do to the fact the temp will be between +35 to -15 degrees it is easier to de-grease/de-oil a bolt rifle.
When I asked which rifle to bring the 375 or the 300 the Guide said bring the 300 in case you need to make a long shot. He said most shots are under 150 yards but I might need to shoot at 300 to 350 yards.
He knows I was a LEO Sniper for 23 years, and a Long Range High Power Rifle shooter.
I would rather shoot my bear at 30 FEET, but I see no harm in being prepared for a little longer shot.
There is also a good chance I might have a shot at a wolf.

The truth is that I will take 2 rifles for sure, I ALWAYS do. So I will probably take both my Blaser R 93 synthentic stock rifles one in 300 and the other in 375 H&H, as well as the 28 guage shotgun bbl for ptarmagin. That way I can have one set up as the primary hunting rifle and the other as a spare will be set up as the 28 ga for ptarmagin around camp.

I will of course have my S&W 44 Mag Mountain Gun on at all times. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
300 will work fine if you put it where it counts. You will also have a guide backing you up. Get a big one and post your pics. Good luck.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
NE 450. If you reload try that 200 gr. North fork in your 300 win. They are great bullets and tough as anything out there for your hunt...IMO <>< maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
As a Brown Bear guide I carry a 458 Win for backup but, Like hundreds of Alaskan guides before me, I hunted and guided for big bears a long time with a 30-06 and still would feel confident using it on my own - even without a backup. Big calibers may make some hunters (usually inexperienced ones) feel better but somewhere along the line a bullet has to be correctly placed. Assuming you are using premium bullets, if you fail to kill a bear with your 300 I will guarantee the problem was not with the caliber.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
NE The 300 mag with any heavy premium bullet will do the job with ease. Get your 1st shot in the boiler room and its a done deal. I include Hornady in the premium bullet department.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote