New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska DIY Caribou hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been talking to a pilot on Kodiak Island about a fly in DIY hunt and he says no problem. but I don't seem to be able to find anyone here to go as a partner, and am wondering if anyone out there saying, I'd like to go on a DIY hunt for caribou, but need a partner" and would want to go on this one. Cost is air to Kodiak city, then air to the hunt location. I am going to rent a camp, as there's a operation in Kodiak city that rents out a whole camp, and I figure, they know what's needed. I'm going to check as to whether you have to bring your own sleeping bag, but everything else in a pkg. type of thing. Air fare to the hunting area and back is I think he said, $1,200 to $2k, and I'm guessing $1,200 each or 2k for one. I am looking at going this year yet, as believe with the ocean currents there is not snow and such like on the mainland. If anyone interested, let me know.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Not sure on the bush flight, but It's probalby for the charter. Some go PP, others are for the flight/load. $1200 to the south end seems a bit cheap, maybe one way?

Caribou on Kodiak wouldn't be my first choice, but for timing it may be about your only choice right now. Also they are feral reindeer, not caribou, if that matters. I'm not sure I could tell the difference, other than their antlers have a different configuration than the main land bulls.

A deer hunt on Kodiak this time of the year, or a bit later would be a great hunt.

Good luck finding a partner, and good luck if you go! The weather can suck pretty bad, expect delays to and from the island as well as from the hunting area. Bring a tent that can withstand 60+mph winds.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Rent a plane by the hour. The cost for the hunt is getting to be a total ripoff. The hunts off the north Haul Road are now at 3K per person and some flights are 15-20 minutes. I stopped going there when a flight service charged me for a flight not taken (they repaid me when threatened with court) and when I looked around decided to hunt closer to home. 13E unit is AK resident only on tier 1 permit but it is close, good bulls there, and is 30 minutes from my home.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are very unfamiliar with kodiak and the type of hunt you are attempting....?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct: I don't know diddly squat about hunting Kodiak, or any other area up there. WHICH is why I was asking the pilot questions. I have been to Alaska, but not had a chance to hunt. So was looking at a DIY for Caribou, as something I could afford. But prefer to have someone along. If I didn't get a Caribou, could enjoy fishing etc. if on a river or lake or whatever, so that less of a problem, than being out there alone, where you might get hurt, and some one else along would be a help. You have some information you want to share or know of a DIY hunt/area, I could get into reasonable. I cannot afford $10K for a Caribou hunt. Some years ago I was invited to go on a DIY hunt with the Mulchatna herd, but wasn't in a position to do so at the time. Not I seem to have the time and some $, but only find people who "talk" about going, but never do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries just trying to get a feel for your experience level. Kodiak caribou would be a interesting place to start your alaska hunting. They are only in a few tiny places and there is not very many of them. Rivers and lakes in kodiak have other animals there that love gut piles as well. A deer hunt on kodiak would in my opinion be a better place to start, cheaper, less chance of getting in over your head, more action, more enjoyable and did I mention cheaper?
Maybe check with kodiak combos outa old harbor, he's got a great set up for running deer hunters. Jumping in both feet for your first alaska trip being south end of kodiak might be a bit of a shock.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
One good DIY hunt is the 40 Mile hunt. You could fly into Fairbanks and rent a truck and drive there, hunt off the road. It is a "registration" hunt (RC860), but is open to non-residents. The hunting is done either off the Steese Highway or up the Taylor Highway (Tok to Chicken and Eagle). It can be very hit or miss. I struck out this year because the herd stayed in "Area 2" and never moved to Area 3.

You don't want to waste your time and money on a hunt up here. You don't have to spend 10K. For the 40 Mile hunt, I would get flown into Area 2 (it is only accessible by air or boat). The success rate is much better there.

http://40-mileair.com/hunting/

http://www.tokairservice.com/w...ting-support/species

Like Fourtyonesix said, Kodiak is not the place for caribou. If you want an extreme DIY hunt, fly to Adak.
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/ala...me/adak_hunting.html

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt 23 but this year it was closed on Federal lands to anyone not living in the area. Anyone know if that will be reinstated for 2017?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
No worries just trying to get a feel for your experience level. Kodiak caribou would be a interesting place to start your alaska hunting. They are only in a few tiny places and there is not very many of them. Rivers and lakes in kodiak have other animals there that love gut piles as well. A deer hunt on kodiak would in my opinion be a better place to start, cheaper, less chance of getting in over your head, more action, more enjoyable and did I mention cheaper?
Maybe check with kodiak combos outa old harbor, he's got a great set up for running deer hunters. Jumping in both feet for your first alaska trip being south end of kodiak might be a bit of a shock.

Very sound advice.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
I've been talking to a pilot on Kodiak Island about a fly in DIY hunt and he says no problem. but I don't seem to be able to find anyone here to go as a partner, and am wondering if anyone out there saying, I'd like to go on a DIY hunt for caribou, but need a partner" and would want to go on this one. Cost is air to Kodiak city, then air to the hunt location. I am going to rent a camp, as there's a operation in Kodiak city that rents out a whole camp, and I figure, they know what's needed. I'm going to check as to whether you have to bring your own sleeping bag, but everything else in a pkg. type of thing. Air fare to the hunting area and back is I think he said, $1,200 to $2k, and I'm guessing $1,200 each or 2k for one. I am looking at going this year yet, as believe with the ocean currents there is not snow and such like on the mainland. If anyone interested, let me know.

I'm not sure which pilot quoted you $1200 RT but that's not really realistic. You probably are right its each you can get into a 206 with 2 guys and gear for the flight down to the south end and that is a bit cheaper maybe $800-$1000 depending on where you get dropped. For the return if you have 2 caribou and/or any deer your going to need a beaver. Maybe $1200 one way.

Fall weather is extremely variable especially on that end of the island. You might get out just as planned or you might be hunkered down in your tent with 70mph winds for days wondering if you are ever going home. Plan ahead and be prepared. If it gets nasty down there no one is coming for you you are on your own.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tysue,

FYI: You'd actually be hunting reindeer and not really caribou. The advise you got about a deer hunt is good. Hunt in November during the rut and you'll see loads of deer. The south end of the Island gets only a little snow so the deer survival is pretty high there. I've shot 4 of the different NA deer species and I found the Sitka Blacktail hunt on Kodiak to be the most fun of all. Do be aware it is large omnivore heaven there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big wooly's would be a prime reason not to go there alone. Especially for someone half deaf like him or me.
Might not hear the "woof" behind us.

I just let him know to come back to this thread. He still wants to go but, hasn't found anyone to go along. Wish I could, but, health isn't good enough, nor are my finances.

All good advice and I enjoyed reading thru this post.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5960 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey folks, After I had gotten the reply from Cal had not come back here. Glad to have the advice. Looks like next year for Caribou and need to start planning and such, in March I guess. My biggest problem is, having someone to hunt with and feel safer that way. The high way hunt sounds interesting too. A few years ago I was up there and drove from Anchorage clear to the Artic Circle, and saw a few caribou along the road, though it wasn't hunting season (July),but not a "road" hunter in that sense. Again, thanks for the advice.