Find
Notify
Tools

Sitka waders in coastal alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Morning, all.

I'm booked for a boat-based coastal black bear hunt off Sitka. I'm starting to consider foot gear options. We're going to be on a 45' boat as base camp with aluminum skiffs to shore. My research thusfar has shown most prefer a full wader to a pair of hip boots for this style of hunt. Has anyone any experience with the Sitka Delta waders? I've spent quite a few miles in Lacrosse alpha burly boots, and these waders appear to incorporate them right in. I'm curious the durability experienced.

We will be meeting up with the outfitter at SCI in February and this will be high on my list of questions for them. Our booking agent suggested either hip boots, wading pants, or chest waders.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Know two hard core waterfowlers that are on their 3rd and 4th seasons with them. Very pleased. I still have some serious sticker shock but am tempted. You might check the Simms. You get a lot more mobility and a little less weight with a stocking foot/wading boot combo. I have the G4 zip front, 5th season, lots of Alaska miles. Pretty bombproof. Enough miles that I sent them in for new booties as they were showing abrasion in season 3.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Crane.
I've heard a lot of Simms, as well. How do you find the wading boots holding up for land travel? Comfortable?

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Their Flyweight Wading Boots are really good and durable. Have a Vibram sole. The laces are not durable so have a spare set. On the size, I go one up. I have one pair that is set up with the studs and cleats. You might ask your outfitter if this is needed. Tradeoff is a bit more noise and some folks don't want them in their boats, particularly fiberglass. But they sure are nice on the slick spots.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would not get the Sitka waders.

Why? I was at a duck camp last December and there were perhaps 2 dozen waders in the mud room - most different brands. Only two were leaky - Sitka.

I had some Chinesium ones from Amazon for <$100. They were awesome.

If you want premium, I'd get Simms. Caddis is a good option as well, value priced.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
I wear waders at least five days a week during the winter. I would not go with Sitka. I go through an average of three pairs of waders a season. Sitka waders will leak like every other brand.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It depends on how much you value comfort
Most pros choose Simms for a reason
Patagonia are not bad either

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brandon I would stick with ankle fit Lacrosse hip waders, I would be way over heated if I wore chest waders on a hunt like yours, plus I just feel much more agile in hip waders. Hope you have a great hunt.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Simms makes waist high waders. Which are no heavier or bulky than pants.

Another option, if you are not worried about your butt getting wet, are Frogg Togg or Chota goretex hip waders.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skip Sitka. Mine are 3 years old. I have worn them maybe 3 times. I store them indoors, hung properly. Put them on last week and got 2 wet feet.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input. I'll take a look at the Simms pants and boots and the Lacrosse hip waders and discuss with the outfitter in Nashville in February.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, an interesting new bit of advice I got on this:

I purchased a pair of Simms G3 Guide stockingfoot waders this year. Prior to buying boots, I spoke with the outfitter at SCI and they suggested I buy a pair of XtraTuff boots 1 size too large, cut holes above the sole in the side of the rubber so they can drain, and wear those over the waders in place of wading boots. They claimed better traction on slippery rocks in the streams with the XtraTuffs over wading boots. Anyone have experience or thoughts on this?

One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
How about take your skivvies off and toughened it up?

Posts: 143 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M.Shy:
How about take your skivvies off and toughened it up?

I'm not sure who you are or what rock you crawled out from under, but you seem to love spewing drivel all over this forum. Perhaps thinking you're humoring others?

I'll patiently await reasonable and helpful responses from others I respect here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Alaska but I have waded the Texas Gulf coast a lot. If there is sand on the bottom you do not want holes in your wading boots! You will end up with boots full of sand. Sand will eat holes in the wader booties!

Posts: 702 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have seen the Xtras deployed as Brandon suggests. It's a good solution for traction. Can be a little hard to get them on and off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.
Live Oak - I had the same concerns of stuff getting into the bottom of the boots and being at least uncomfortable if not wet.

I ordered a set of the XtraTuf's and I'm going to try them out this spring. Have a decent stream to cross on my usual turkey hunting property. I ordered them 2 sizes large, we'll see how much water they hold and if I can't sufficiently tip my feet/leg up enough to drain them without cutting holes in them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another tip for the Extra Tuffs- you could spray a little PAM or facsimile on your foot before slipping the boots on. Works.