THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Marabou Landing-- Unit 17. 375 H&H or 338 RUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marabou Landing-- Unit 17. 375 H&H or 338 RUM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am seriously interested in the hunt that Doug Klunder aka "Marabou Slasher" has listed. This is the 15 day hunt for brown bear and moose. Health issues are keeping me from deciding til 7/28 when I'll have the results of a c-scan scheduled.
Anyhow I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has hunted with NWA Outfitters or anyone who has hunted that part of AK.
I beleive I've narrowed it down to two rifle, both have been to AK. A Sako AV in 375 H&H, shooting a Barnes 270gr TSX. The 338 RUM is a Rem LSS, shooting 250gr Nos ABs. Both are very accurate, but the Rem has a laminate stock where the Sako's stock is syn. I've lucked out on my trips weather-wise, but have read this part of AK gets a heavy rainfall at that time of the year. Should I be concerned about that laminated stock holding up under those conditions.

Thanks
Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I live in Unit 17 and use a synthetic stocked 375 H&H.

I have no doubt either rifle would hold up quite well. I'd guess the camp will be comfortable enough to adequately care for any rifle you bring.

Posts: 9107 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I live in unit 17 and will use a synthetic stocked Sako 375 H&H. Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Small world, Phil...

I also live in Steuben County ( Addison) and I've been at Marabou landing a couple times..

Never hunted out of the camp, just passing through, but I remember it as a really nice camp... Good fishing too,since it's right on the Mulchatna..

Moose populations fluctuate, but last time I was there (02) there were some nice bulls in the area and too damn many of those hairy volkswagons.. I wouldn't worry about the laminate stock...I have one on my M70 and it was soaked every day on several of my AK hunts and never shifted POI..

Good luck...Hope your health issues work out for you..

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
my wifes Ruger Compact has a laminated stock . It spent every day outside for about a year , in Southeast 140 "of rain type stuff and the rifle never seemed to be bothered by it .. It got dinged up some but it didn,t shift poi at all ..... I took the stock off the rifle and water sealed the stock with Thompson's when we first got it ......
. Hard to go wrong with either round . But the one that is easiest to have in hand all day should get the nod .... A synthetic Sako stock is sure a comfortable rifle to hang onto ... That load of a 270 gr TSX is perfect also ......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
I'm comfortable with either rifle. The RUM has a 5.5-22x50mm NF on it which might prove to be a handicap on this hunt. Really don't want to swap scopes on it, its my go to gun for elk and mule deer. I'll be taking it to CO in Oct. Inside 300 yds the 375 H&H will do just fine. Have a 2.5-8x32 Zeiss Conquest on that one.
Was hoping to learn more about the area and most of all the outfitter. Has anyone hunted in that neck of the woods???

Thanks again
Phil

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I've hunted on the Mulchatna , But I don,t know of the exact area you are talking about . I,ve been on the Upper Mul , not lower ... Pretty typical for that whole area .....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've hunted on the Mulchatna , But I don,t know of the exact area you are talking about . I,ve been on the Upper Mul , not lower ... Pretty typical for that whole area .....

Gumboot

The camp and hunting area are on the east branch bolow Lake Clark. I assume this is considered the Lower Mul, although not referred as so on my map. If you wanted to hunt moose and brown bear would you consider this area. Put yourself in my shoes (non resident) now. If not why.

Thanks
Phil

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philny1:
quote:

Gumboot

The camp and hunting area are on the east branch bolow Lake Clark. I assume this is considered the Lower Mul, although not referred as so on my map. If you wanted to hunt moose and brown bear would you consider this area. Put yourself in my shoes (non resident) now. If not why.

Thanks
Phil
. I havn,t been in that area for a long time ... The thing to do is call Alaska Dept. Fish and Game . Ask them about that specific area ,and what trophies are currently coming out of that area ...................... IMO ADF&G . is pretty helpful .................. I just don,t know but does MB Slasher provide references ????
. . I think Waterrat is working so I don,t think he is around to answer PMs .. He is the guy I ask about things in that area .............. For Moose , alot depends on the wolf activity , How many have been killed ..... Remember if you get a chance to kill a wolf ,PLEASE , KILL IT .. You,ll get a nice big double thumbs up form lots of us ... I think if you have a wolf or black bear tag it will work for either ...........
. Sorry I can,t answer you morte directly , but I just don,t know ....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil

I thought I gave you around 10 references. Trying to keep them the most recent years about 3-4 years back. Let me know what else I can do for you.

Thanks
Doug Klunder

Doug Klunder

Posts: 163 | Location: United States | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marabou Slasher:
Hi Phil

I thought I gave you around 10 references. Trying to keep them the most recent years about 3-4 years back. Let me know what else I can do for you.

Thanks
Doug Klunder

Yes Doug, I have your references and have spoke with several. They and you have been very helpful. However I was hoping to get some feedback from the very knowledgeable members of this forum, both on the area in general and your outfitter.

Thanks
Phil

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marabou Slasher:
Hi Phil

Thanks
Doug Klunder

Yes Doug, I have your references and have spoke with several. They and you have been very helpful. However I was hoping to get some feedback from the very knowledgeable members of this forum, both on the area in general and your outfitter.

Thanks
Phil

Hi Phil,
The Mulchatna is quite a river. Very pretty and worth every moment of the jet boat ride or small plane ride if only for the scenery. Unit 17 is just finishing another big salmon run so you should expect to see plenty of spawned out salmon along the way and plenty of bears.

If you look at a map you'll see several communities along the Nushagak river which is fed by the Mulchatna. Suprisingly, I think you'll see very little resident traffic on the river. Most of us from the local communities hunt locally, so even in the cases of the two closest communities to the Mulchatna, New Stuyahok and Koliganek, the residents will not venture up that far mostly. We do have a few hardy souls here in Dillingham that love the adventure and periodically will point the bow of their jet boats in that direction. I have never been further up the Mulchatna than the mouth.

If you are going to be hunting or camping on the river I'd advise bringing a flyrod if you use one already. I can't remember whether or not this is a silver salmon year, but if it is the silver fishing can be quite good up there as is the trout, grayling, and in still water northern pike fishing. I wouldn't expect any of the fishing to be trophy size other than the trout.

Posts: 9107 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My c-scan results were favorable. Not out of the woods, one small 3mm size nodule left in the rt side of my chest. Now the game plan is a scan every 2-3 months. The chemo has wore me down, been five weeks since my last cycle and I still don't have alot of ambition, fatigue much worse than expected. I let this hunt slide, not knowing how I'll be doing Sept 1st. Starting to feel abit better, did some shooting and hiked a few miles yesterday.
Figured someone would jump on this moose/bear hunt. Planning on going elk hunting in Oct, maybe that will be all I can manage this fall.

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
My c-scan results were favorable. Not out of the woods, one small 3mm size nodule left in the rt side of my chest. Now the game plan is a scan every 2-3 months. The chemo has wore me down, been five weeks since my last cycle and I still don't have alot of ambition, fatigue much worse than expected. I let this hunt slide, not knowing how I'll be doing Sept 1st. Starting to feel abit better, did some shooting and hiked a few miles yesterday.
Figured someone would jump on this moose/bear hunt. Planning on going elk hunting in Oct, maybe that will be all I can manage this fall.

Hang in there! Next year will wait for you. Back to your original question, either will do the job. The 375 H&H ammo is probably easier to get, but rarely is that a problem. 338 RUMs usually come with muzzle brakes, just make sure you get a removable brake, you don't want to damage your hearing firing with a brake.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
quote:

Hang in there! Next year will wait for you. Back to your original question, either will do the job. The 375 H&H ammo is probably easier to get, but rarely is that a problem. 338 RUMs usually come with muzzle brakes, just make sure you get a removable brake, you don't want to damage your hearing firing with a brake.

John
;
. John , most of the time I agree with you , but a 338 RUM with a brake isn,t that bad . Mine did not have a brake on it , and didn,t really need one .. It kicks maybe a little more than the 375 , maybe a little less ...... A man taking cemo for a nodule in his lungs may have something more to worry about than a loud rifle ... And as an asside , a couple shots with a broke 338 RUM isn,t going to hardly clap your ears .......My 458 Win Mag with a brake isn,t any louder than my 375 Ruger Alaskan without a brake ......Same length barrels basically ...
. Phil ; Take care of yourself and get well healed up and in shape , then when you come up you can really enjoy being there and hunting !!!!... Your 375 will work fine for as far away as you would shoot a bear , and if you had to shoot 400 yards at a bull moose it will work great also ... That said I would think it obvious I,m not in anyway refering to some overweight bullet in the 375 ......... 260-270 gr is perfect ...........zeroed @ 200 yards a 270 gr bullet w/ mv of 2700 fps is about 9" low @ 300 and 2 foot low or there abouts @ 400 yrds .. I just got back from 4 days moose hunting and was reminded I need to get a decent range finder ....... Shots could have been from 20 feet -400 plus yards .......